+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GETTING MARRIED - SPONSORSHIP PROCESS???

gcamargo

Oct 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello fellows, hope you are well.

Today I want to ask how is the process to sponsor my partner. She is currently studying for a year in Calgary and we are getting married around June. She is from Taiwan which means it is a VISA EXEMPT country. My question goes, should I apply as INLAND? or Will you recommend me to do it as OUTLAND?

We've been living since last August, but we started our relationship in January 2014. In fact she was here many times for holidays visiting me.

On my side, I became PERMANENT RESIDENT last July.

So, what would you recommend in this situation?

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback.

Cheers,

Gustavo

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gcamargo said:
Hello fellows, hope you are well.

Today I want to ask how is the process to sponsor my partner. She is currently studying for a year in Calgary and we are getting married around June. She is from Taiwan which means it is a VISA EXEMPT country. My question goes, should I apply as INLAND? or Will you recommend me to do it as OUTLAND?

We've been living since last August, but we started our relationship in January 2014. In fact she was here many times for holidays visiting me.

On my side, I became PERMANENT RESIDENT last July.

So, what would you recommend in this situation?

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback.

Cheers,

Gustavo
If she has a valid study visa and can stay in Canada with you, definitely go for OUTLAND application. HKVO process most applications within 10-12 months. INLAND takes much much longer.

gcamargo

Oct 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sashali78 said:
If she has a valid study visa and can stay in Canada with you, definitely go for OUTLAND application. HKVO process most applications within 10-12 months. INLAND takes much much longer.
Thanks for your answer Sashali.

She has a Study Permit valid till November this year.

One question came up to my mind. If she is living here, can she apply in Hong Kong? What will happen after her Study Permit expires? Another thing is that she would like to work while she is here, even at a starbucks, she doesn't care. She has a Bachelor's degree in Education but in order to get her credentials I believe PR is need it.

I want to evaluate all scenarios.

Thanks for your help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
gcamargo said:
One question came up to my mind. If she is living here, can she apply in Hong Kong? What will happen after her Study Permit expires? Another thing is that she would like to work while she is here, even at a starbucks, she doesn't care. She has a Bachelor's degree in Education but in order to get her credentials I believe PR is need it.
Yes, she can apply outland even if she is living in Canada. Prior to her study permit expiring, she needs to apply to change her status to visitor. She can work as per the terms of her study permit; once that has expired, she must stop working.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
gcamargo said:
Thanks for your answer Sashali.

She has a Study Permit valid till November this year.

I want to evaluate all scenarios.

Thanks for your help.
Yes she can apply outland while living in Canada. Is she studying right till November? Will she graduate with something?

gcamargo

Oct 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aquakitty said:
Yes she can apply outland while living in Canada. Is she studying right till November? Will she graduate with something?
Hi Aquakitty, thanks for your answer.

She is just attending to the IFP at University of Calgary (English Program). She already has a degree in Education. Maybe we will try to enroll her for 2017 on a Master's or something.

However, if we apply INLAND it will allow her to work because she can apply automatically for an open work permit. Am I right??

With an OUTLAND application she cannot work for almost a year.

So, there are pros and cons on both applications.

Right?

Kind regards,

Gus

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
gcamargo said:
Hi Aquakitty, thanks for your answer.

She is just attending to the IFP at University of Calgary (English Program). She already has a degree in Education. Maybe we will try to enroll her for 2017 on a Master's or something.

However, if we apply INLAND it will allow her to work because she can apply automatically for an open work permit. Am I right??

With an OUTLAND application she cannot work for almost a year.

So, there are pros and cons on both applications.

Right?

Kind regards,

Gus
You are correct if you file an outland application she will not be able to work until that application has been finalized at around 12 months (give or take).

You must also understand that if you file an Inland application, even though she'll be able to work (provided she has a valid status at time of application receipt) she will need to remain in Canada for roughly 2-3 FULL years before her application is fully processed. If you take that route, she will likely not be able to afford school at international rates because they are through the roof.

You will need to decide which is more important to have. The ability to work quickly and then wait for PR, or the ability to obtain PR quickly and then be full PR in 1/3 of the current Inland waiting times.