+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married & Moving to Canada Help?

TheTabacchi

Dec 1, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Category........
FAM
Hello! I am a US Citizen who will be getting married to a Canadian Citizen. My current fiance is flying down and then we are going to drive up together (she's visiting for the holidays). I have a few questions:

1. I plan to be honest to the border patrol but should I be worried? Our plan is for us to get married after crossing and apply for inland sponsorship. If they know we plan to apply for inland will they turn us away? If they don't like that would I be able to make a deal to at least drive my girlfriend home and return to the boarder a week after?

2. I currently have a job in the US that is a work from home position. While I'm waiting for my Canadian Work Permit to process, would I be able to continue working that job? It's based out of the US, and has nothing to do with Canada, I would simply work online from Canada to do the job.

Any help would be appreciated!

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Revealing your double intent on border is a very good way how to be stopped and rejected right at the border.
It might be better to identify yourself as vising your GF (which is technically true). Then once in Canada you can go and arrange all needed for marriage ceremony and after that you can file for spousal sponsorship.

If I understand well, what you refer to is working from home for USA company under USA contract. That should not be any problem as long as you have a valid status in Canada.
Be also aware, that it can take up to 4 months to get your spousal work permit once you apply for spousal sponsorship.
And additionally in the early stages any leaving Canada might be risky (as while you are still under TRV permit and not permanent resident yet), you can be denied entry (that tends to happen more on early stages and less on end stages of spousal sponsorship).
So count in your plans app. 1-2 years that you might be "stranded" in Canada (worst case scenario).

On a practical level you will find very fast, that most salaries in Canada are lower than in USA.

TheTabacchi

Dec 1, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Category........
FAM
So then what should I say if they ask about the duration of my stay? They have every other time I've gone. Also, you said the double-intent at the border - so would it be better to get married in the US and then go to the border and admit that I plan on applying inland?

KalVynall

Dec 4, 2018
Hello! I am a US Citizen who will be getting married to a Canadian Citizen. My current fiance is flying down and then we are going to drive up together (she's visiting for the holidays). I have a few questions:

1. I plan to be honest to the border patrol but should I be worried? Our plan is for us to get married after crossing and apply for inland sponsorship. If they know we plan to apply for inland will they turn us away? If they don't like that would I be able to make a deal to at least drive my girlfriend home and return to the boarder a week after?

2. I currently have a job in the US that is a work from home position. While I'm waiting for my Canadian Work Permit to process, would I be able to continue working that job? It's based out of the US, and has nothing to do with Canada, I would simply work online from Canada to do the job.

Any help would be appreciated!
I was in a similar position in August and was turned away at the border the first time but made it thru the second time. Here is what will get thru the first time.
1. Have a definite time period you plan to stay in Canada, like 3 or 4 months. Once you apply for family sponsorship you will be able to stay while the app is processing.
2. Have proof of employment in the USA
3. Have a copy of a lease or proof of ownership of a house/apartment
4. Proof of assets to support yourself while in Canada

Don't pack too much in your car that may lead the Border patrol to conclude you are moving to Canada. The second time I had all the paperwork but was not asked about it. You will be able to travel to/from the USA after you are married and have applied for PR and a Temp work permit but always have a copy of the application for PR with you.

Before you leave the USA your fiancé can write a letter of invitation (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/letter-invitation.html) to a Canadian consulate and get a visa.