+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

getting married in Philippines after receiving my canadian visa (not yet PR)

seanmike_27

Jul 29, 2014
Hi! I'm mike from Philippines. I just want to know if it's ok to get married here in Philippines with my girlfriend after receiving my canadian visa and before leaving my home country? so that by the time that i will apply my Permanent residency in canada, it will include my wife. No need to get back for my girlfriend to get married. any good suggestions or ideas? thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your family composition changes between having been granted a PR visa and landing, you must report this to immigration and add the new family member to your application.

Once your family composition has changed before landing, your PR visa is rendered invalid. You should contact the visa office and inform them. You should send your visa back to them and they will re-issue it with your new family member added once you have added them. Keep in mind that should your wife be denied due to medical reasons or background checks, you will not be getting a new visa either.

If you have a visa issued to you as a single person and you get married and then use this visa to land as a PR the results would be some of the following: If you tell the immigration officer when you land that you have gotten married, they could stop you from landing and cancel your visa or they could allow you to land but bar you from ever sponsoring your wife. If you don't tell them, you will be committing misrepresentation and if you ever try to sponsor your wife , you could lose your PR and be deported as your misrepresentation comes to light or at the very least, you can never sponsor your wife.

The other option would be that you go and land as a single person on your visa. Return home and get married. Then return to Canada to sponsor your wife.

If you are not applying for PR by yourself but getting it as a dependent child of your parents, then it complicates things a bit more because by getting married, you risk losing your dependent child status. If that is the case, you should definitely not get married before landing.

GregoryJames

Jul 21, 2011
Mike, you need to take heed of what Leon has posted. The consequences of getting married before becoming a permanent resident (which only happens when you reach Canada and are processed at the airport) can be disastrous, including the possibility (likelihood) of your deportation from Canada and a permanent bar from returning to Canada.

I have had to assist too many people who made that simple, but usually honest, mistake. Can it be fixed? In some cases yes, but in many more cases no. That is not a risk worth taking.

You should do as Leon suggested: come to Canada to have your PR status finalized and then sort out the relationship with your girlfriend, including getting married if you wish. You should be able to sponsor her then, unless there is another problem you have not mentioned.

in one of my cases my client's girlfriend had pressured him into marrying her before he left because she was pregnant and feared he would not come back. I can sympathize with her anxiety, but I suggest it would take something far more serious than that to justify taking the risk. Unless her reassurance is more important than migration (which would be for them to decide).

Gregory James, Canadian Immigration and Federal Court Law - 26 years experience

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
seanmike_27 said:
Hi! I'm mike from Philippines. I just want to know if it's ok to get married here in Philippines with my girlfriend after receiving my canadian visa and before leaving my home country? so that by the time that i will apply my Permanent residency in canada, it will include my wife. No need to get back for my girlfriend to get married. any good suggestions or ideas? thanks!
Read the correspondence you have received from CIC as part of the PR application you are undergoing in regards to a 'change in family composition'. It details the status of any visa issued when such changes are not notified to the visa post = no longer valid. If used for landing you may find yourself facing a removal order or never being able to sponsor.

HappyMe02

Jan 18, 2016
Hi,

I am currently residing in the Philippines. My boyfriend just got his PR as a dependent child and will be landing in Canada by April 2016. We have been delaying our marriage plans because of this. Assuming he comes back to the Philippines and we get married by December 2016, will there be any problems (immigration-wise) if he plans to sponsor me to live as a permanent resident in Canada? Approximately how long will it take for my visa to be approved? Also, I have created a profile entry in the express entry system for Federal Skilled Worker. Will this cause any problems?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HappyMe02 said:
Hi,

I am currently residing in the Philippines. My boyfriend just got his PR as a dependent child and will be landing in Canada by April 2016. We have been delaying our marriage plans because of this. Assuming he comes back to the Philippines and we get married by December 2016, will there be any problems (immigration-wise) if he plans to sponsor me to live as a permanent resident in Canada? Approximately how long will it take for my visa to be approved? Also, I have created a profile entry in the express entry system for Federal Skilled Worker. Will this cause any problems?
There shouldn't be any problems as long as you were not qualifying as common law (living together as a couple for 12 months or more) at any point before him landing as a PR.

Having a skilled worker profile entry will not matter if you get sponsored for PR.