+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married in Canada, please advise...

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
Hello Again,

I'm back with a few more questions...

At this point my plan of action is to sell everything I can and move up to Calgary before the end of June... Shortly after I get up there, my fiance' and I will get married!! This is where the questions come into play.

*Once we are married, will James need to sponsor me?
*Is there any chance that I'll have to come back to the US while this process takes place?
*Once we are married, can I apply for a PR Card?

Is there anyone that would care to share their experience....
Any advice at this point would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank You!!

torresandino

Mar 14, 2008
Once you are married he will have to sponsor you and no you don't have to go back to the US. When he sponsors you as his wife is when you apply for the PR card. Because you will be here with him the processing time might take a bit longer than as if you were in US.

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
There are some things to consider before choosing which route you decide to take. If you move to Canada and then get married, you can certainly apply for "PR" but you cannot legally work until late in the process. Plus, the "Inland" processing time is running much longer than the "Outland." On the positive side, you can be together while the "Inland" process is ongoing. I chose to do an outland application because I need to work and I live in the US. 10 hours drive from my wife in Canada. The waiting period for immigration in the "Family Class" is about 6 months on average, and less for most of the applicants that I see on the "Trackitt" website. It's difficult but in the long run I think its going to be worth it. I think that if I lived far away or in an unstable country, I probably would have chosen to do things differently.

Best wishes!!!

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
Thanks for the tips and advice!!

*sigh* This whole process is so frustrating! So many hoops to jump through, the laws make it almost impossible to live with your loved one while the process takes place.

I'm not giving up though!!! It'll be tough having to be apart from James for 6 months or longer, but we'll find a way and make it work.

Thank again & best of luck to those of you trying to do the same thing :)

torresandino

Mar 14, 2008
Take things step by step, I know how you feel. It seems like your situation is pretty standard. For you guys there is no need to be apart. The first thing that you and him should do is get married, just remember to keep everything documented that way there is proof that its not just for the convinience. Once you and him are married start the application process, you fill out your package and he fills his out. They will have to do Record checks on you and a medical exam, but that comes later I believe. You can get married in the US and you can already have all the paper work done for than that way its ready to be sent once the marriage has taken place.

Just take it a step at a time if not it can become very fraustrated. I know I have done that.

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
Yes, you are absolutely right!! Taking things 1 step at a time is all we can do.

We've decided to go the "work permit" route. Since James has to go back to Calgary for 6 months, he'll be able to see who's hiring and may be able to get my foot in the door. He has my resume and refrences on his computer and he can easily hand them in on my behalf.

In the meantime, I'll stay here in the US and keep looking for work, and sell what I can, and save up as much money as possible. In the event that I do get a job offer, It won't take much to pack up and fly out there.

Sure, getting married may speed things up, but we are willing to sacrifice the time apart and have the confidence that we'll find a sponsor, so that we are able to have a proper wedding ceremony in Canada where his family can attend :)

Thanks again, everyone on this forum has been very helpful and supportive!!
Best wishes!!

Regina_BC

Mar 29, 2008
"PR" but you cannot legally work until late in the process.
You can apply for work permit. it is quite easy to obtain it when you are in Canada in a process of getting PR as a spouse..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Regina_BC said:
"PR" but you cannot legally work until late in the process.
You can apply for work permit. it is quite easy to obtain it when you are in Canada in a process of getting PR as a spouse..
You can not receive a work permit for a in-canada spousal application until you receive Approval in Principle, about 5/6 months after submitting the application to Vegreville.

PMM