+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married, honeymoon, PR (spousal sponsorship)

Discussion in 'Family Class Sponsorship' started by theinituition, Feb 20, 2019.

  1. Hi.

    I have some questions, that I hope you will help me with.

    I'm from Denmark (35 years old). I will soon go to Canada (as a visitor) and get married with my fiancè (she is a canadian citizen, 27 years old), in Alberta. I will stay in Canada for good.
    After we are married we will apply for the spousal sponsorship.

    Question 1:
    2 months after our wedding day we will go on a 2 weeks honeymoon (outside of Canada) and then come back again to Canada.
    Would that be okay to do? When we have a marriage certificate and we can prove we applied for the spousal sponsorship, I can enter the country right?

    Question 2:
    After applying for the spousal sponsorship, I can stay in the country.
    But when should I apply for an open work permit or the PR?

    Question 3:
    When will I be able to work in Canada? (estimated)

    Previously, I did a working holiday in Canada as a student during a half year internship in a non-profit organization. I'm a social worker now.

    Question 4:
    Regarding my process, any advices for me and my fiancè?

    Thank you very much for your time and help!

  2. 1. Check visa requirement for Denmark nationals. Marrigae with a Canadian/submitted a PR application does not mean you can entry without a visa.
    2. Check visa requirement first, you can apply outland PR as soon as you married, you can apply PR and OWP under SCLPC class (inland only, means you must have vaild status)
    3. 4-8 month??? (SCLPC class)
    4.Take photos for the marriage/honeymoon.

    Good luck
  3. Danish Nationals only need to obtain eTA to enter Canada. No TRV application needed.
    If he apply inland after receiving the marriage certificate (may take a while to get it, some province allow "urgent"/rush for that), include OWP with the application. OWP usually is issued 4 months after the application.
    He can consider extending his visitor status if he doesn't hear back from IRCC about application when the the 6 month visitor is about to expire (if not told otherwise by CBSA).
    Hurlabrick likes this.
  4. Just to clarify - are you applying Outland or Inland? It sounds like you are thinking about applying Inland.

    Question 1 - there is no guarantee that you will be able to re-enter Canada after your honeymoon. It is not very likely that you will be refused, but IF you got a very cranky border officer and were denied entry, your Inland application will be abandoned - the condition for applying Inland is that you are IN Canada. In that case, you will have to prepare and submit a new application for Outland.

    Question 2 - If you apply Inland, you MUST stay in the country. If you apply Outland, you can also stay in the country, or leave, or do anything you like. If you are applying Inland, you should submit an application for an OWP together with your PR application. If you are applying Outland, there is no OWP, but you will probably get your PR sooner, so the amount of time you will not be able to work might not be very different from Inland.

    Question 3 - It takes about 4 months for an OWP. You could search the forum to see how long it takes other applicants from Denmark to get PR if they applied Outland. The processing time listed on the website is usually much longer than the usual time it takes.

    Question 4 - Maybe my only suggestion would be to consider an Outland application, because it's usually shorter, and doesn't require your continued presence in Canada. You can be in Canada, or travel in and out of the country.
  5. Thank you all for your replies.
    I will go to Canada in April (I have a eTA) as a tourist --> ask to stay until july (where we leave the country for the honeymoon).
    Get married in May and apply for the spousal sponsorship.
    In July: 2 weeks honeymoon outside of Canada and back to Canada again.
    I only want to stay in Canada, so that'll be an inland application.
    How can I do it outland? Then I need to go back to Denmark after we get married and apply and come back again right away?

    So, my only concern is the honeymoon. Leaving for two weeks.
    What to do at the border when back again? Having a marriage certificate and a submitted application for the spousal sponsorship.
    Let me know your thoughts.

    Thank you very much,
  6. I wouldn't ask to stay until July when you arrive in April (unless you are specifically asked how long you are staying). You'll most likely be allowed in for the default six months.

    You can apply outland whether you are in Canada or outside of Canada.

    When you return from your honeymoon, whether you are allowed back into Canada or not will be up to the CBSA officer. You shouldn't have any issues re-entering - but always some very small chance you will. I think it would be a good idea to take your marriage certificate and the proof you have filed for PR (but only show these if you are asked questions).
  7. It can also take a few months to get a marriage certificate.
  8. They're getting married in Alberta so that shouldn't be a problem. We got ours in two weeks and the official website confirms they mail the certificate within a few days from making the request.

  9. Thank you all again!

    So it seems to be the best solution to apply for the outland spousal sponsorship then (even though I'm in Canada), to make it possible for me to go on the honeymoon outside of Canada 2 months after we get married?
    The processing time says both 12 months (max.) for both inland and outland.
    And regarding work permit, it should be almost the same wait? One mentioned I can apply for an open work permit when applying for the PR (inland), but the wait should be the same in the end with the outland?

    So the process:
    April: Arrive Alberta, Canada (eTA) - (with a leaving Canada flight ticket for the honeymoon in July). They always want a return-ticket or know when you leave the country again.
    May: Getting married, then apply for spousal sponsorship outland and the PR when getting the marriage certificate (takes max. 2 weeks in Alberta).
    July: Leaving 2 weeks outside of Canada for the honeymoon. When re-entering Canada, we have the marriage certificate and the proof of that we applied for the spousal sponsorship (outland) in May/June, if they ask.

    Let me know if any second thoughts on this.

    Thank you very much!
    Warmly, LSJ
  10. No.

    A) You can't get the OWP if the application is outland. Only inland applications.
    B) The chance of a visa exempt individual getting denied at the border with an active application and an absence of two weeks is extremely small.

    Most people will want to play it safe and not leave unless they absolutely must, but many people do leave for lots of different reasons.
  11. Thank you for that.

    I will be staying in Canada from April.
    But if we go on a honeymoon after getting married is it then better to do the outland application, regarding going 2 weeks on a honeymoon outside of Canada?
    If we do the inland we must stay in the country, and that will make it more risky leaving for two weeks?
    Regarding the open work visa, if we do the inland one, will I be able to work a lot sooner compared to the time it takes to get the PR?

    Thank you for your help,

Share This Page