+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married during PR application

sscorpion

Jan 18, 2013
Muscat, Oman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

I've tried to check if there's already a topic on this forum about getting married during the PR process, but I couldn't find any.
If you guys can find a link to an existing topic, please do share the link.
I hope this will help those who have held off on marriage until the PA get's PR and are thinking of adding spouse later.
In my understanding, it's harder to add spouse later since you have to act as a sponsor and show income proof for a year etc.

So here's my current situation....

I have got my nomination from OINP in Jan and I've already submitted my application to IRCC 2 weeks ago.
I'm thinking of doing a court marriage and add my spouse to my application. She already has ECA and valid IELTS so it won't take much time. And I have the POF to show.

Here are my questions.

Do I need to inform OINP about my marriage since they recalculate scores? I am getting 3 more points by adding my spouse.
Do I need to raise a case on IRCC website before getting married asking what procedure to follow?
Do we need to apply for new passports so we have spouse's names showing on either one?

Please do share/contribute/comment on this. I hope it helps others who are in a similar situation.

Thanks.

OMG_Chakromakro

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sscorpion said:
Hi Guys,

I've tried to check if there's already a topic on this forum about getting married during the PR process, but I couldn't find any.
If you guys can find a link to an existing topic, please do share the link.
I hope this will help those who have held off on marriage until the PA get's PR and are thinking of adding spouse later.
In my understanding, it's harder to add spouse later since you have to act as a sponsor and show income proof for a year etc.

So here's my current situation....

I have got my nomination from OINP in Jan and I've already submitted my application to IRCC 2 weeks ago.
I'm thinking of doing a court marriage and add my spouse to my application. She already has ECA and valid IELTS so it won't take much time. And I have the POF to show.

Here are my questions.

Do I need to inform OINP about my marriage since they recalculate scores? I am getting 3 more points by adding my spouse.YES
Do I need to raise a case on IRCC website before getting married asking what procedure to follow?i would suggest call them and ask what steps to follow,Probably you would have to raise CSE and attach all documents of your spouse
Do we need to apply for new passports so we have spouse's names showing on either one?Probably not sure

Please do share/contribute/comment on this. I hope it helps others who are in a similar situation.

Thanks.
Congratulations !

sscorpion

Jan 18, 2013
Muscat, Oman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your help.
Yes, I will probably raise a CSE asking what to do.
But I think we need to get fresh passports....

sscorpion

Jan 18, 2013
Muscat, Oman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got Married on the 10th March 2017 and would like to add my spouse to the PR application.
My AOR date is 26th Jan 2017

I had raised a CSE and I got a reply back from them today with just a link...What to make of this??

Good Morning:

Change in Marital Status
http://cicintranet.ci.gc.ca/connexion/tools-outils/perm/express/refuse-eng.aspx

Thank you,

MEM
Client Service Unit
Citizenship and Immigration
Centralized Intake Office
Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
I just wanted to know HOW to add her to my application...
What forms do I have to fill and send?
How to send them?
I know she needs to get her PCC and Meds done now.
But what's my next step??

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
sscorpion said:
Thank you for your help.
Yes, I will probably raise a CSE asking what to do.
But I think we need to get fresh passports....
Fresh passports depends on your nationality. I know Indian passports need spouse name on it and require it for PCC

sushsmart15

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
09-02-2017
Nomination.....
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
09-01-2017
Med's Done....
09-02-2017
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-017
I am sharing the most appropriate answer.
Below response has been posted by the most followed expert "Asivad Anac" on this forum on this question of getting married during PR application process:

"1. Get married when you want to. The only IRCC requirement is that you state your marital status accurately in your application.

2. If you are married before submitting the post ITA application, you will be treated as a married applicant (misrepresentation if you declare yourself as 'single') and your points are calculated differently. The only exception being that you can classify your spouse as 'not accompanying' whereby your points will be calculated as a single applicant.

3. If you get married after e-APR but before you 'land' in Canada, your points won't be recalculated when your spouse is added to the current application. Adding a spouse wouldn't directly lead to refusal - it may happen if your spouse is inadmissible to Canada on medical and/or criminal/legal grounds. It may also happen if you don't have sufficient POF for the two of you. Else your spouse will be added to the current application - no IELTS, ECA needed for spouse. Passport, Medicals, PCC(s) required.

4. No real reason to wait for PPR before getting married. You can get married anytime after e-APR and add your spouse to the current application. Many forum members have done that successfully and got their PRs together with their spouse. It delays the process by 8 weeks or longer but that is still worth it because inland/outland spousal sponsorship can take 12 months or longer."

Reactions: seatobc

sscorpion

Jan 18, 2013
Muscat, Oman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sushsmart15 said:
I am sharing the most appropriate answer.
Below response has been posted by the most followed expert "Asivad Anac" on this forum on this question of getting married during PR application process:

"1. Get married when you want to. The only IRCC requirement is that you state your marital status accurately in your application.

2. If you are married before submitting the post ITA application, you will be treated as a married applicant (misrepresentation if you declare yourself as 'single') and your points are calculated differently. The only exception being that you can classify your spouse as 'not accompanying' whereby your points will be calculated as a single applicant.

3. If you get married after e-APR but before you 'land' in Canada, your points won't be recalculated when your spouse is added to the current application. Adding a spouse wouldn't directly lead to refusal - it may happen if your spouse is inadmissible to Canada on medical and/or criminal/legal grounds. It may also happen if you don't have sufficient POF for the two of you. Else your spouse will be added to the current application - no IELTS, ECA needed for spouse. Passport, Medicals, PCC(s) required.

4. No real reason to wait for PPR before getting married. You can get married anytime after e-APR and add your spouse to the current application. Many forum members have done that successfully and got their PRs together with their spouse. It delays the process by 8 weeks or longer but that is still worth it because inland/outland spousal sponsorship can take 12 months or longer."

Thanks for the message.

I'm aware of the points not getting recalculated in my case.
I got a doc request from IRCC now and they have asked me the fill IMM0008 PR Application form, Schedule A and Additional Family Information form.
Anyone knows how to send these forms to IRCC? By courier??

sushsmart15

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
09-02-2017
Nomination.....
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
09-01-2017
Med's Done....
09-02-2017
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-017
sscorpion said:
Thanks for the message.

I'm aware of the points not getting recalculated in my case.
I got a doc request from IRCC now and they have asked me the fill IMM0008 PR Application form, Schedule A and Additional Family Information form.
Anyone knows how to send these forms to IRCC? By courier??
If they have requested additional documents, then they will provide you placeholders to upload them in your My CIC account.
Have you checked your account yet? Go the uploaded documents section and find it.

HB_Canada

May 4, 2017
Hi everyone

I have a similar query but would like to have some things cleared up since I have found conflicting comments on this matter on the forums.
This is a future situation that I'm trying to plan for now.

My current situation:

Express Entry - Federal Skilled Worker Outland. I applied as a single person with no dependents. No PNP.

Received my ITA in January 2017, did medicals and submitted ITA in March 2017. My PR will hopefully be done by mid 2017 - my original plan was to land in March 2018 (a week or two before expiration of my medicals).

Soon after receiving my ITA I started cohabiting with my girlfriend. Assuming things continue on the current trajectory we would qualify as Common-law partners at the end of January 2018. We have discussed it and would like to immigrate to Canada together. She has not commenced with any application of her own.

According to my understanding the best option is:

> Notify CIC of the relationship status change when the time comes - thus January 2018. I think my existing COPR would then be revoked and my application re-opened to provide for the new information. She will have to do medicals and get police clearance in addition to completing the required forms. POF will be adjusted to two persons and additional fees will become payable to CIC. No additional IELTS or ECA will be required and CRS will not be affected at this point.

Question is, what would this process entail?
i. Firstly, will IRCC allow this route?
ii. How long does it take to finalise the process? Will I have to re-do my own medicals?

At this point I’m assuming that they will add her at that time but extend the process by a few months. I probably have to redo my medicals to retain validity.

Is my thinking correct?

Thanks.

Ade3l

Feb 22, 2020
Hi guys,

I am FSW Outland applicant with AOR date of May 2019. I have not received a decision on my application yet however, the IRCC did ask me to submit a Schedule A Background Form in October 2020 and then Re-medicals in November 2020. Since I has spots on my lungs this time, I am waiting for the culture results of my TB test now before my application can be further processed.

I recently got married in December 2020. At the time when they requested the Schedule A form I was not planning to get married before receiving my COPR. But due to personal circumstances we had to marry in a hurry. Now my questions are:

1. How and when do I inform the IRCC about this?
2. Would it affect my application in any way?
3. What documents would i need to submit to add my spouse to my application? and
4. Would there be a POF requirement now that there would be two people on the application?

Any help would be great.

Thank you.