+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

getting married before of after landing

Carlos1982

Aug 20, 2010
Hi there,

Visa office has requested my passport for visa issuance. They sent a pdf with this warning:

"Do not submit
your passports
at this time if

you have married or divorced since our last correspondence
or
you intend to get married or divorced prior to your landing in Canada "

I have a girlfriend who I want to get married with. However, I am not sure if I should get married BEFORE or AFTER landing in Canada. If I get married before I have to inform VO about my new status and I am worried about how long it will take for them to request my passport again, and of course, my future wife's passport.

I have a couple of questions:

1. If I get married prior to my landing in Canada, how long will it take for them to request my passport again, and of course, my future wife's passport?

2. Would it be shorter time and more convenient to add my future wife now in my application? or is it more convenient to sponsor her after landing myself?

I know about the time to wait for sponsoring until her application is approved (its kind of hard to wait in my case 15 months in Colombia embassy). However, I need to be in Canada in June or July the latest to start at a school I want to study there, paying Permanent Resident rate of course (otherwise I will have to start in 2012). That's my concern, about whether or not I would make it with my future wife to June-July (if I get married and add her now).

Otherwise, I will land by myself and I will return to marry her and start right after that with the sponsoring process.

Please your opinions seniors or people with this kind of experience.

Thank you in advance.

Kaycee1

Jan 17, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor Approved 24-02-2011
AOR Received.
02-03-2011
Med's Request
In process 20-05-2011
Med's Done....
26-04-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-06-11
VISA ISSUED...
15-06-11
LANDED..........
14-08-11
Are you living common law? My understanding is if you don't add her to your application at this point you will NEVER be able to sponsor her in the future if you are living common law now. You have to declare all your family members for them to be "examined". Also, your permanent residency could be in jeopardy if they think you haven't disclosed everything to them.