+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married and moving to BC

molek

Oct 1, 2007
I am a resident of Seattle, wa. My fiance lives in Vancouver, BC. We are going to get married on the 30th of October and I will be moving in with her in BC in January. I just want to know the whole process of how this works. From what I gathered first thing we get the marriage license, then we do the ceremony in front of 2 witnesses and the justice of the peace. From there what is the process for working? I will need to get a job as soon as I move up there and move in with her. All in all what do I need to do to work there and what steps do I need to do towards becoming a citizen/permanent resident.
thank you

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
There are more steps required to getting a job if you don't have PR, which you won't get until you send in all of the paperwork and get approved. I'm in a similar situation. I'm american and just got married to a canadian. He is sponsoring me under family class outside canada since it will be faster than inside canada and because I cannot work if I were to move there right away anyway. I'm not an expert on anything, I only know my situation, but it's not as easy as you think. Start reading at the CIC website.

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Now after the wedding, you are far better off in sending in the spousal application from outside of Canada, and to stick it out in Seattle for about 5 to 7 months. Your wife should bear with you on this one and should be doing all the weekend commute from Vancouver to Seattle until you get your Permanent Residency in the next 5 to 7 months after November 1st - and that is if you send your application during the first or second week in November.

The process of getting a work permit in Canada is tedious - go with the PR and Spousal Application.

Please familiarize yourself with this link and all sub-links, which is for applicants applying from outside of Canada:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

molek said:
I am a resident of Seattle, wa. My fiance lives in Vancouver, BC. We are going to get married on the 30th of October and I will be moving in with her in BC in January. I just want to know the whole process of how this works. From what I gathered first thing we get the marriage license, then we do the ceremony in front of 2 witnesses and the justice of the peace. From there what is the process for working? I will need to get a job as soon as I move up there and move in with her. All in all what do I need to do to work there and what steps do I need to do towards becoming a citizen/permanent resident.
thank you