+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married after receiving PR Portal inviation

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yes, I got in a common law relationship after I received my initial approval. However, my application was on hold last 2 years.
So, in this case, I am not sure if it is a sponsoring or not.
If it is a sponsoring, the official website says I cannot sponsor her since I am currently living outside Canada.
In theory, since you haven't landed with your COPR, your application is not final. And you are not PR until you landed (thus you are not sponsoring)
So you are updating your application and adding your common law partner.

But I am not familiar with COPR extension and not sure if that's any difference from the normal not landing with COPR because of status changed. And adding spouse/common law partner before getting the updated COPR to land.

Maybe there are more people with similar experience in the PNP and EE section of the forum.

Reactions: Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In theory, since you haven't landed with your COPR, your application is not final. And you are not PR until you landed (thus you are not sponsoring)
So you are updating your application and adding your common law partner.

But I am not familiar with COPR extension and not sure if that's any difference from the normal not landing with COPR because of status changed. And adding spouse/common law partner before getting the updated COPR to land.

Maybe there are more people with similar experience in the PNP and EE section of the forum.
I believe that you may be correct:
https://www.cicnews.com/2021/06/ircc-provides-new-instructions-to-expired-copr-holders-0618507.html#gs.88do5p

The following is an excerpt that pertains to those with an expired COPR, but further elaborates that this is related to Covid-19 travel hurdles. Since the OP's original COPR was extended...it would seem to apply, right?

"When you receive an email from IRCC, you will be asked if your family situation has changed. This includes if you got married, divorced or had a new child. If there has been a change, IRCC will update your application and ask you for relevant documents."

Now, even though it does not mention a common law or conjugal partner, it obviously would include such a partner.

Erseenvi

Feb 11, 2020
Yes it seems like it applies to us. I will be searching more, and calling a lawyer tomorrow then. I do not want to risk the whole process, and lose our PR status.
Thank you guys...

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes it seems like it applies to us. I will be searching more, and calling a lawyer tomorrow then. I do not want to risk the whole process, and lose our PR status.
Thank you guys...
The law firm that generously provides these forums offers a free consultation. Maybe reach out to them?

Erseenvi

Feb 11, 2020
Guys hello again,

I have been looking for the declaration of common law since yesterday. We have a joint rental agreement but all the bills are on my girlfriend. We do not have vehicle insurance. Also, it is not common in my country to have the address on a driving license, etc. It is also not common to update your address on the banks or cell phones since everything happens online now. Our addresses of banking information are very old and not up to date.

So we have a rental agreement and a government-issued residence certificate showing the current address but not showing when we moved to that address. There are also other documents we can submit even if they are not mentioned on the IRCC webpage, such as the same gym membership with the same address on the same date, banking transaction between us for rent payment, or messages, photos, family and friend statements.

So my question is do you think that these documents would be enough for common law declaration? If not, I am actually thinking to get marry before landing if it going to be too hard to proceed as common-law partners. I think I have 6 to 12 months for landing once the PR is approved.

Could you please share your ideas?

Many thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So we have a rental agreement and a government-issued residence certificate showing the current address but not showing when we moved to that address. There are also other documents we can submit even if they are not mentioned on the IRCC webpage, such as the same gym membership with the same address on the same date, banking transaction between us for rent payment, or messages, photos, family and friend statements.

So my question is do you think that these documents would be enough for common law declaration?
It is difficult for others to comment - probably would be sufficient, but it really does depend on the information all together. That said, if you are planning to get married, getting married will make it easier and possibly quicker as it requires less judgment on the part of IRCC.

However: you need to advise IRCC soon of your change in marital status (which has already taken place as you are common law). If it's going to add much time (beyond, say, a month), don't predicate it on the marriage.

If not, I am actually thinking to get marry before landing if it going to be too hard to proceed as common-law partners. I think I have 6 to 12 months for landing once the PR is approved.
I have not followed this thread that closely but I'm not sure you fully understand: you can't just 'get married before landing.' You CANNOT land before your spouse is added to your file and evaluated, either as accompnaying or unaccompanying. When you advise them of the change in marital status/family composition, they will probably revoke your copr (your PR app will be sort of 'on hold') and tell you what you need to submit and for her to do (medicals, biometrics, etc).

I also don't know where you get or what you mean by the 'I think I have 6 to 12 months for landing' - it's possible but that very much depends on other aspects of your file.

Erseenvi

Feb 11, 2020
It is difficult for others to comment - probably would be sufficient, but it really does depend on the information all together. That said, if you are planning to get married, getting married will make it easier and possibly quicker as it requires less judgment on the part of IRCC.

However: you need to advise IRCC soon of your change in marital status (which has already taken place as you are common law). If it's going to add much time (beyond, say, a month), don't predicate it on the marriage.

I have not followed this thread that closely but I'm not sure you fully understand: you can't just 'get married before landing.' You CANNOT land before your spouse is added to your file and evaluated, either as accompnaying or unaccompanying. When you advise them of the change in marital status/family composition, they will probably revoke your copr (your PR app will be sort of 'on hold') and tell you what you need to submit and for her to do (medicals, biometrics, etc).

I also don't know where you get or what you mean by the 'I think I have 6 to 12 months for landing' - it's possible but that very much depends on other aspects of your file.
Thank you so much for your response. Yes, I know that I cannot land if I do not add my spouse to the file. What I tried to say is that there will be a certain time that IRCC will give to land in Canada, so I would get married during this time and let them know. IRCC will not know that we are in a common law relationship right now if I do not say them so. We would be simply in a relationship and decide to get married during this time. Therefore, I thought that we can get married until the deadline of my entry date, and update my family status. Otherwise, we should get married right now, as IRCC is waiting for a response from me.

I mentioned 6 to 12 months because my initial COPR was valid for 6 months. It is probably because of the validity duration of the medical exam. My COPR is reissued after two years due to COVID.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, I got in a common law relationship after I received my initial approval. However, my application was on hold last 2 years.
So, in this case, I am not sure if it is a sponsoring or not.
If it is a sponsoring, the official website says I cannot sponsor her since I am currently living outside Canada.
You are not sponsoring her. You are adding her to your application.

Erseenvi

Feb 11, 2020
You are not sponsoring her. You are adding her to your application.
Yes, as far as I understand, it is also easier than sponsoring.

I am going to add my partner to my application anyway. But it seems like common law is very hard to prove. We can get married but we cannot do it rightnow. So I am considering waiting for my new COPR and then getting married in the time that is given to me land in Canada. Then, I will inform IRCC to add my wife to the application. Later we can land together.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, I know that I cannot land if I do not add my spouse to the file. What I tried to say is that there will be a certain time that IRCC will give to land in Canada, so I would get married during this time and let them know.
I think you still misunderstand: you don't just 'add her to your file and then land.' They will not let you land until your spouse is added AND fully examined by IRCC and basically 'approved.'

I am going to add my partner to my application anyway. But it seems like common law is very hard to prove. We can get married but we cannot do it rightnow. So I am considering waiting for my new COPR and then getting married in the time that is given to me land in Canada. Then, I will inform IRCC to add my wife to the application. Later we can land together.
I think you are overthinking this. Get your documentation together NOW as common law and submit ASAP to add her to your file. I don't even understand what you are suggesting above exactly, but you are just making the process slower by not doing so right away.

I can't say whether your common law info is sufficient but it is FAR from the worst seen here, just submit it and start the process asap.

Reactions: YVR123