+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married after receiving ITA

vikram57

Jul 24, 2019
Hi All,

I have a very urgent query regarding my Express Entry profile. I had received ITA on 27th November, 2019 and later I got married on 6th December, 2019. I have received the marriage certificate yesterday itself.

Can someone please help me with the procedure to intimate IRCC about change in my marital status? Please note, I have not taken any action after receiving ITA. I have not even accepted the invitation in portal.

Please advise the procedure. Consultancies are charging whopping amounts for helping with the procedure.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Since you received the ITA before you got married, it's really simple. You will add your wife as an accompanying dependent, but this will not affect your points (since you had already received the ITA based on your own profile).

You can accept the ITA and update your profile after that. Your wife will then need to have the medical and background check, but she doesn't need to get an ECA or take the IELTS.

vikram57

Jul 24, 2019
Since you received the ITA before you got married, it's really simple. You will add your wife as an accompanying dependent, but this will not affect your points (since you had already received the ITA based on your own profile).

You can accept the ITA and update your profile after that. Your wife will then need to have the medical and background check, but she doesn't need to get an ECA or take the IELTS.
Thanks for your response. So should I just drop a mail to IRCC now, mentioning this? Or do I first need to accept the application and then drop a mail?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
I think you should send them an inquiry immediately. Otherwise you can submit the application as married (with wife's medical and PCC).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

ITA date is irrelevant. The date that matters is when the PR app is actually submitted. As OP married before submitting the PR app, points WILL be recalculated if the spouse is included as accompanying. The only way to avoid a recalculation is to add the spouse as non-accompanying and sponsor them after becoming a PR.

Reactions: zee90999

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your response. So should I just drop a mail to IRCC now, mentioning this? Or do I first need to accept the application and then drop a mail?
You need to see what happens to your points to determine if you can include your spouse as accompanying or non-accompanying. You don't need to notify IRCC separately. You just submit your PR app with your spouse fully included.

vikram57

Jul 24, 2019
You need to see what happens to your points to determine if you can include your spouse as accompanying or non-accompanying. You don't need to notify IRCC separately. You just submit your PR app with your spouse fully included.
Thank you for your response everyone. Thanks a ton.

Query 1 : Currently my score is 1041. This includes 600 points which I had received from OINP. So even if I add my spouse in my application (accompanying/unaccompanying), CRS points shouldn’t be of concern if it decreases slightly. Please confirm my understanding.

Query 2 : While doing medical checkup for my spouse, I would be using my ITA letter and UIC details as a reference for taking medical appointment? That won’t be an issue right?

Looking forward to your response at the earliest. I am running short of time. Thanks in advance.

vikram57

Jul 24, 2019
I think you should send them an inquiry immediately. Otherwise you can submit the application as married (with wife's medical and PCC).

Query 1 : Currently my score is 1041. This includes 600 points which I had received from OINP. So even if I add my spouse in my application (accompanying/unaccompanying), CRS points shouldn’t be of concern if it decreases slightly. Please confirm my understanding.

Query 2 : While doing medical checkup for my spouse, I would be using my ITA letter and UIC details as a reference for taking medical appointment? That won’t be an issue right?

Looking forward to your response at the earliest. I am running short of time. Thanks in advance.

13nitinsharma

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2012
Canada

1. Inform OINP - Write an email to OINP team regarding your marriage update. OINP team will send you "personal info change form" and submit it to them.

2. Add your spouse to your EE application before ITA stage. While submitting your PR application, explain this point in LOE by attaching proof of email (OINP).

3. Only ITA letter is required to get your medicals.

Last edited:
Reactions: sanyaak

vikram57

Jul 24, 2019
1. Inform OINP - Write an email to OINP team regarding your marriage update. OINP team will send you "personal info change form" and submit it to them.

2. Add your spouse to your EE application before ITA stage. While submitting your PR application, explain this point in LOE by attaching proof of email (OINP).

3. Only ITA letter is required to get your medicals.
Hi Nitin,

I have already received the ITA. In that case, what should I do? Informing OINP is mandatory? My last date is 25th January.

Said1010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2020
So if i inform OINP should the 600pts be affected.
Should i apply my marriage status before or after ITA submit.
If i apply after ITA the status to marriage what will happen?
Plz help

Said1010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2020
I get the ITA 2 days ago and i want to get married.
What is the appropriate time to get married ?
Before i submit the ITA or after i submit the ITA and apply the E APR.
Can you help me