+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married after receiving COPR

ruchikathakur16

Star Member
Jul 10, 2019
Hi Guys, I have a similar situation but with some changes & would appreciate if someone could provide guidance on it.

Both I and my girlfriend had separately applied for Express Entry on Jan 2020. This was because we were not sure if our marriage would happen soon & did not want to delay our plans to immigrate. We got our GCMS notes last week and seems we both cleared the Criminality, Proof of Funds, Experience, Education & background checks. But due to the delay in processing due to Covid, we are not sure when we can expect a completion and issue of CoPR etc. Our parents have agreed to our relation now and we are thinking about getting married !! :) Yaay!!

My concerns are:
1. If we both get confirmation next month & our marriage is in Oct or so, I understand that we will both have to notify IRCC and have them include this change of status. Will this delay our CoPR by 4-6 months since we both already have individually cleared the requirements?
2. Should we instead do a soft landing and return to get married?
First of all congratulations on your marriage.
2nd of all its a good idea to go for soft landing, come back and then get married. I am suggesting you this because there are no timelines as to when they will process your marriage documents. In this covid situation there are already many expired visa files which is on priority for them. Your case may delay unnecessarily.

siju6789

Star Member
Mar 12, 2019
First of all congratulations on your marriage.
2nd of all its a good idea to go for soft landing, come back and then get married. I am suggesting you this because there are no timelines as to when they will process your marriage documents. In this covid situation there are already many expired visa files which is on priority for them. Your case may delay unnecessarily.
ruchikathakur16, thank you for the wishes! Also appreciate your input about soft landing. I am still waiting for my application to get cleared; so everything depends on the situation at that point I guess. Fingers crossed !

AdeliaB

Jul 2, 2020
1. You can inform anytime before or after marriage to IRCC. But it's advisable to do it in advance as they take hell time to reply you with list of documents you need to submit.
2. You will need to marriage certificate, few pictures of your marriage, PCC of your spouse, passport copy of your spouse, medical report of your spouse and you will need to fill in few form which they are gonna provide. Also you will need to pay same amount of fee for your spouse which you must have paid for your visa.
3. The time vary, there is no fixed deadline given for visa processing.

The borders are closed anyway due to covid situation and it gonna take few more months to reopen. Your visa has already expired so I will advice you to process both of your visa together.
Thank you so much. They got back to me today after a month and sent me the forms to fill. My issue now is most of the information like 10 years travel history and such have to be refilled and i didnt save my 1st application when i submitted. Is there a way i can request to view my approved application, so my information is consistent and i relieve myself of the stress of filling all that information again?

ruchikathakur16

Star Member
Jul 10, 2019
Thank you so much. They got back to me today after a month and sent me the forms to fill. My issue now is most of the information like 10 years travel history and such have to be refilled and i didnt save my 1st application when i submitted. Is there a way i can request to view my approved application, so my information is consistent and i relieve myself of the stress of filling all that information again?
I don't think so there is anyway you can get your submitted forms back. I hope if you have filled in genuine details then you should remember it. If not then try as much as you can.

tankala13

Feb 22, 2012
Yes, there is a way. but it will take 30 days. You can request GCMS and there is an option if you want the original form application or Updates. Use the original form and they will send you whatever you filled. I know they do that for paper application, I am not sure how express entry would work.

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Yes, there is a way. but it will take 30 days. You can request GCMS and there is an option if you want the original form application or Updates. Use the original form and they will send you whatever you filled. I know they do that for paper application, I am not sure how express entry would work.
That is correct, by making an ATIP request one can request copies of all the documents that were submitted along with the original application. If the visa office where the application was submitted is closed or operating at reduced capacity then it may take longer than 30 days to receive those supporting documents.

abhinavr1

Jul 4, 2020
Hi Adelia ,
Kind of in a similar situation so need your help.
I received my COPR in November 2019 but the same expired in April 2020
i could not travel due to the outbreak and informed IRCC of the same and they mentioned to let them know when i am ready to travel.
In the meantime my marriage has been fixed for November 2020 and i had decided to go ahead and inform IRCC of my impending marriage but have yet to hear back from them with any answer.
I got generic replies stating that NO application in progress will be closed or refused due to lack of documentation or inability to complete the application process on time. At this stage we are not able to provide you with any further information regarding your application.
once next steps on your file are determined , our office will contact you.
Not sure what to do next !
also how long did you have to wait before they replied back with the exact documents needed and also did you inform them of your impending marriage or that you are already married.?

Duleepa

Oct 17, 2020
hi similar situation here. IRCC says my copr is approved but didnt get the PPR yet...
But i am to get married to a Canadian PR holder living outside Canada at the moment. Not sure how this works.

Duleepa

Oct 17, 2020
Hi Adelia ,
Kind of in a similar situation so need your help.
I received my COPR in November 2019 but the same expired in April 2020
i could not travel due to the outbreak and informed IRCC of the same and they mentioned to let them know when i am ready to travel.
In the meantime my marriage has been fixed for November 2020 and i had decided to go ahead and inform IRCC of my impending marriage but have yet to hear back from them with any answer.
I got generic replies stating that NO application in progress will be closed or refused due to lack of documentation or inability to complete the application process on time. At this stage we are not able to provide you with any further information regarding your application.
once next steps on your file are determined , our office will contact you.
Not sure what to do next !
also how long did you have to wait before they replied back with the exact documents needed and also did you inform them of your impending marriage or that you are already married.?
As i know they are supposed to ask you to extend your medical or do a new one before you land again. IRCC updates travel restrictions details on their website

luvanuj

Jul 14, 2011
Toronto
Hello guys, I am new to this forum. I have a different set of conerns wrt my application now. I got married after I received my COPR and informed CIC through mail and even raised web form but haven't heard anything from them until today. According to my COPR I had to land before 7th Oct 2019. And I landed today with my same old COPR. And at the Canada immigration office in Toronto airport, I informed the officer about change in my status. Now my passport has been cease and they have given me a date on which I will have to visit them again to check with new decision which has been made on my application.
I had no clue that I couldn't travel with my old COPR and moreover my spouse had no plans to accompany me anytime soon. So I have decided to go about with my old COPR and now have no clue what's next.
Anyone has any information related to such situation please do share.
Hi Ruchika,

just wondering what happened to your case. I have a friend in a similar situation and would appreciate if you can provide details about your case

Tanmayee Nyayadhish

Star Member
May 25, 2018
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
24 -07 - 2018
Med's Request
12 - 6 - 2019
Med's Done....
29 - 6 - 2019
Passport Req..
17 - 7 - 2019
VISA ISSUED...
1 - 8- 2019
Hi Ruchika,

just wondering what happened to your case. I have a friend in a similar situation and would appreciate if you can provide details about your case
Are they traveling on an expired COPR?

Have they already raised a query form to inform them they are married? If yes, then wait because if they decide to travel and the status changes it will be difficult. Tell them to try and call IRCC on their helpline number and see what they advise. But do not rush to travel.

If they haven't raised a web - form and their COPR is about to expire, I would say go ahead and do a soft landing and then apply for a spousal sponsorship.

Also, keep in mind, IRCC is going to take time to reply because they are loaded with cases and they don't have that much manpower.

I myself opted for doing my soft landing and then applying for a spousal sponsorship visa (for which I am awaiting confirmation).
But for this option, the couple and their families need to be okay with them staying apart.

I don't know if this will help you or your friend. If the case is any different let me know.

Syed Shahbaz

Jan 18, 2018
Hi
I got my COPR, but unable to travel to Canada (thanks to all the travel restrictions), I believe they'll now extend my COPR, which I don't know how long its gonna take. My question is, Can I get married now instead and add my wife's name, cuz as it is my COPR is expired anyway. Or, alternatively should I just wait for the COPR to be renewed, go to Canada and then sponsor my wife (after probably doing a soft landing maybe)

please note that my to-be wife is from another country as I and have not yet given her IELTS.

Thanks in Advance.

AustinX

Oct 28, 2021
Hi all
I got my COPR in Feb 2021 and it expires in Feb 2022. I am currently in USA with H1B but visa stamp was expired.
I got married in March 2021 and got a baby in October 2021, in USA. My wife also applied for EE on her own before marriage, but her case is still in progress.
I contacted the ircc with webform but no response. I tried to call but they say they are prioritizing the Afghanistan issue and cannot take my call.

My questions are:
1: Can I enter Canada with my copr? I am planning to enter myself.
2: If not, what is the next step for my case?

Thank you in advance!