+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married after receiving COPR

ruchikathakur16

Star Member
Jul 10, 2019
Can anyone help me with imm0008e form. The notification says I have to fill this for me and my spouse. What should I mention in "program under which you are applying" ? Economic ? Or Family? And same for my spouse. What should I fill for him

Shreay

Dec 9, 2019
Can anyone tell me the list of documents my spouse will need when I update my status to married? Also, does she needs to give IELTS and will the score get recalculated in either case (accompanying and non - accompanying)?

Shreay

Dec 9, 2019
What will be the difference between accompanying and non accompanying spouse? Sorry for the dumb question but a little lost here

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
IELTS Request
Upfront (uploaded with application)
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-04-2019
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2019
VISA ISSUED...
27/07/2019
LANDED..........
21/11/2019
What will be the difference between accompanying and non accompanying spouse? Sorry for the dumb question but a little lost here
Accompanying spouse means that you will be granting your significant other a PR status alongside yourself where as if its a non accompanying spouse that means your husband/wife wont be having the PR status when you are granted one however, you could still them when you settle.
P.S regardless of whether the spouse is accompanying or not, a medical test by the approved physician panel must be submitted with the application

Reactions: Shreay

Shreay

Dec 9, 2019
Accompanying spouse means that you will be granting your significant other a PR status alongside yourself where as if its a non accompanying spouse that means your husband/wife wont be having the PR status when you are granted one however, you could still them when you settle.
P.S regardless of whether the spouse is accompanying or not, a medical test by the approved physician panel must be submitted with the application
Thanks for the info, does that mean in either of the case I have to submit all the documents for my spouse (including IELTS) and show increased funds?

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-04-2019
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2019
VISA ISSUED...
27/07/2019
LANDED..........
21/11/2019
Thanks for the info, does that mean in either of the case I have to submit all the documents for my spouse (including IELTS) and show increased funds?
No only medical if she is not accompanying as IELTS wont add anything to your application. Medicals are used to make sure that shes ok to be sponsored later by you

effybarreto

Aug 6, 2019
So, if you get COPR as a single person, then get married before landing in Canada, of course you need to let CIC know.

My questions is, what is your best bet if you do this, and how long will the process take if you want to get PR for you and your spouse? Or you are basically giving up in Canada by doing that?

Should one land, get PR and then go get married or is it advise to get married first, then return your COPR and start over? Im in the middle of a similar situation and Im weighing my options.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So, if you get COPR as a single person, then get married before landing in Canada, of course you need to let CIC know.

My questions is, what is your best bet if you do this, and how long will the process take if you want to get PR for you and your spouse? Or you are basically giving up in Canada by doing that?

Should one land, get PR and then go get married or is it advise to get married first, then return your COPR and start over? Im in the middle of a similar situation and Im weighing my options.
Adding your spouse to your COPR will take around 4 months of additional processing.

effybarreto

Aug 6, 2019
So, Im yet to send my passport for COPR and when I get it, it will be valid until Oct 2020. I plan on getting married in May. Should I submit my passport, get COPR, then get married in May, then notified them, then send my passport back so they take my COPR back, update my profile, and wait 4 months for both of us to get PPR? Is this kinda the steps to take?

Will it lower my score at at all? I was 479 but I believe in my round the cut off was 475 or so.

Thanks in advance. Mine is such a peculiar situation.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So, Im yet to send my passport for COPR and when I get it, it will be valid until Oct 2020. I plan on getting married in May. Should I submit my passport, get COPR, then get married in May, then notified them, then send my passport back so they take my COPR back, update my profile, and wait 4 months for both of us to get PPR? Is this kinda the steps to take?

Will it lower my score at at all? I was 479 but I believe in my round the cut off was 475 or so.

Thanks in advance. Mine is such a peculiar situation.
Your situation isn't peculiar at all. If you receive PPR before marrying, you can inform IRCC of your impending marriage and intention to add your spouse.

There will be no effect on your score.

effybarreto

Aug 6, 2019
Your situation isn't peculiar at all. If you receive PPR before marrying, you can inform IRCC of your impending marriage and intention to add your spouse.

There will be no effect on your score.
You mean that I can let them know now that I plan on getting married in, lets say May? I just don't want to sent my passport right now, then get married with COPR in my hand, to then have to send it back to them for them to re open the case with my future wife in it.

I can't find any information about this on their website. My future wife is a US citizen.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You mean that I can let them know now that I plan on getting married in, lets say May? I just don't want to sent my passport right now, then get married with COPR in my hand, to then have to send it back to them for them to re open the case with my future wife in it.

I can't find any information about this on their website. My future wife is a US citizen.
You can inform them. They may delay your PPR or they may require you to still submit your passport and submit again after marrying ad adding your spouse.

AdeliaB

Jul 2, 2020
Hi, i am new on this forum. Pre-COVID i received my COPR in December and planned to soft land in June, however due to border restrictions i am unable to travel. my visa expires this July. I have requested for an extension , however i am getting married next month, my questions are:
1. When do i inform IRCC?
2. Does anyone have an idea of the documents i would need to send? would this also mean i will complete a new application with fees and all?
3. The time span for processing?

or am i better off just landing first before marrying

ruchikathakur16

Star Member
Jul 10, 2019
Hi, i am new on this forum. Pre-COVID i received my COPR in December and planned to soft land in June, however due to border restrictions i am unable to travel. my visa expires this July. I have requested for an extension , however i am getting married next month, my questions are:
1. When do i inform IRCC?
2. Does anyone have an idea of the documents i would need to send? would this also mean i will complete a new application with fees and all?
3. The time span for processing?

or am i better off just landing first before marrying
1. You can inform anytime before or after marriage to IRCC. But it's advisable to do it in advance as they take hell time to reply you with list of documents you need to submit.
2. You will need to marriage certificate, few pictures of your marriage, PCC of your spouse, passport copy of your spouse, medical report of your spouse and you will need to fill in few form which they are gonna provide. Also you will need to pay same amount of fee for your spouse which you must have paid for your visa.
3. The time vary, there is no fixed deadline given for visa processing.

The borders are closed anyway due to covid situation and it gonna take few more months to reopen. Your visa has already expired so I will advice you to process both of your visa together.

siju6789

Star Member
Mar 12, 2019
Hi Guys, I have a similar situation but with some changes & would appreciate if someone could provide guidance on it.

Both I and my girlfriend had separately applied for Express Entry on Jan 2020. This was because we were not sure if our marriage would happen soon & did not want to delay our plans to immigrate. We got our GCMS notes last week and seems we both cleared the Criminality, Proof of Funds, Experience, Education & background checks. But due to the delay in processing due to Covid, we are not sure when we can expect a completion and issue of CoPR etc. Our parents have agreed to our relation now and we are thinking about getting married !! :) Yaay!!

My concerns are:
1. If we both get confirmation next month & our marriage is in Oct or so, I understand that we will both have to notify IRCC and have them include this change of status. Will this delay our CoPR by 4-6 months since we both already have individually cleared the requirements?
2. Should we instead do a soft landing and return to get married?