+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married after PR

gokul0989

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
Hello,

I have completed my landing in Canada on Feb 03, 2020 after getting my COPR on Jan 23, 2020. I had my marriage fixed on Feb 26, 2020 so I did a quick soft landing to get my PR activated and start the PR card process, I still haven't got my PR card. Now, what is the next step?. Should I just inform IRCC about my marital status change by providing the marriage certificate?. I am planning to sponsor for my spouse in future. I would appreciate your inputs on this. Thank you.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hello,

I have completed my landing in Canada on Feb 03, 2020 after getting my COPR on Jan 23, 2020. I had my marriage fixed on Feb 26, 2020 so I did a quick soft landing to get my PR activated and start the PR card process, I still haven't got my PR card. Now, what is the next step?. Should I just inform IRCC about my marital status change by providing the marriage certificate?. I am planning to sponsor for my spouse in future. I would appreciate your inputs on this. Thank you.
You don't need to do anything. You are already a PR, you are supposed to inform IRCC if your marital status changes before you've completed your landing.

Now all you need to do is let CRA know. IRCC does not play a role anymore until you're ready to sponsor your spouse. Then you'll have to provide a list of documentation to prove your marriage is legitimate, etc.

Also, get ready for a long wait.... sponsorships tend to take a long time.

gokul0989

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
You don't need to do anything. You are already a PR, you are supposed to inform IRCC if your marital status changes before you've completed your landing.

Now all you need to do is let CRA know. IRCC does not play a role anymore until you're ready to sponsor your spouse. Then you'll have to provide a list of documentation to prove your marriage is legitimate, etc.

Also, get ready for a long wait.... sponsorships tend to take a long time.
Thank you very much for your swift reply. I will do the needful. I am in India at the moment. Should I still inform CRA or should I inform once I reach Canada.

gokul0989

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
@Wolfpmd3

I am in India at the moment and planning to apply for PRTD in case if am not able to get my PR card in hand before my travel. Will IRCC ask the reason for my application for PRTD and will it be a bad impression if I don't inform them prior to my PRTD application about my marriage?.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
@Wolfpmd3

I am in India at the moment and planning to apply for PRTD in case if am not able to get my PR card in hand before my travel. Will IRCC ask the reason for my application for PRTD and will it be a bad impression if I don't inform them prior to my PRTD application about my marriage?.
Bad impression? it's not about impressing IRCC. I you completed your landing and got married after, you have no obligation to inform IRCC nor does IRCC care about it.

If your marital status changed before your lading was completed, that is different because they would have asked you that during your landing interview and if you lied, for whatever reason, that is another story.

gokul0989

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
Bad impression? it's not about impressing IRCC. I you completed your landing and got married after, you have no obligation to inform IRCC nor does IRCC care about it.

If your marital status changed before your lading was completed, that is different because they would have asked you that during your landing interview and if you lied, for whatever reason, that is another story.
Thank you for the reply sir. I landed on 03 February 2020, and I got a photo retake request on 13 February 2020. I have couriered the photos on 21 Feb 2020 and it was received at the Sydney, NS card processing center on 26 Feb 2020. But, after that I have not received any communication from them. When I raised a web form, the reply was, my details did not match the one which they have on file. So, I have sent them a web form again in detail about my application details. Now, waiting for a favorable reply.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the reply sir. I landed on 03 February 2020, and I got a photo retake request on 13 February 2020. I have couriered the photos on 21 Feb 2020 and it was received at the Sydney, NS card processing center on 26 Feb 2020. But, after that I have not received any communication from them. When I raised a web form, the reply was, my details did not match the one which they have on file. So, I have sent them a web form again in detail about my application details. Now, waiting for a favorable reply.
Believe you are very close to receiving your PR cards given other who have applied. Have the PR cards will make travelling back to Canada this fall so much more easy.