+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married after PR

jebin2017

Sep 6, 2017
I have received Canada PR last week and need to make an entry before 1 year from now.

My marriage is fixed on January 2018.

It seems I have 2 options

1. Let CIC know about the status change after the marriage.

In this case will my scores be recalculated?. Please note that my IELTS validity will be expired on January.
Do I need to maintain the same PR score when I am adding the spouse details(I wont have the same score as my IELTS will expire by then)?.
In this case will it be a risk, waiting for the marriage without landing?
Or can I add the spouse into PR by providing the necessary documents(IELTS required?) as I already having a VISA?

2. Land in CANADA before January and sponsor the spouse after marriage

Can you please advice me how to proceed or if there is any other possibilities?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks and Regards,

Reactions: hp2018

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
I have received Canada PR last week and need to make an entry before 1 year from now.

My marriage is fixed on January 2018.

It seems I have 2 options

1. Let CIC know about the status change after the marriage.

In this case will my scores be recalculated?. Please note that my IELTS validity will be expired on January.
Do I need to maintain the same PR score when I am adding the spouse details(I wont have the same score as my IELTS will expire by then)?.
In this case will it be a risk, waiting for the marriage without landing?
Or can I add the spouse into PR by providing the necessary documents(IELTS required?) as I already having a VISA?

2. Land in CANADA before January and sponsor the spouse after marriage

Can you please advice me how to proceed or if there is any other possibilities?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks and Regards,
as long as you land with the right status. If you're single land as single, and vice-versa. Your scores won't be recalculated anymore. Take into consideration sponsorship takes a long time (up to a year)

jebin2017

Sep 6, 2017
@hamgha Thanks for the quick response.
To be more clear, my scores will be recalculated if there is a status change?. And I need to write IELTS again to meet the same score?
So there is no advantage for having a PR ?. Do I need to go through all the PR process again?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Change due to marriage AFTER you've submitted your eAPR will not result in a recalculation of your points. You do not have to re-take the IETLS. You are NOT a PR as you haven't finished the landing process.

By adding your spouse you'll have to submit her medicals/PCC/marriage certificate/etc and a new COPR will be issued once her documents are assessed.

jebin2017

Sep 6, 2017
@DelPiero07 : so would you suggest me to go with option 1 as below?.

1. Inform CIC about the status change after wedding
2. Upload required documents of spouse. Did she require IELTS?

No need to land before marriage?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Option 1 if you're not in a rush to land.

1 - Yes.
2 - No IETLS required.

If you land before marriage you'll have to sponsor her which can take up to 12 months.

Reactions: jebin2017

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
@hamgha Thanks for the quick response.
To be more clear, my scores will be recalculated if there is a status change?. And I need to write IELTS again to meet the same score?
So there is no advantage for having a PR ?. Do I need to go through all the PR process again?
i said WON'T be recalculated. Please read the answers carefully
Your scores won't be recalculated anymore.

mayurd

Star Member
Feb 20, 2016
Hi, I am also in a similar situation.
1. I am Single, will get my COPR by Oct end.
2. Marriage in Jan 2018.
3. Landing planned in Jan end.
4. Can I land in Canada as a single only and then get my PR card and sponsor my wife ( I am ok with 1 yr waiting)
5. Will Immigration guys ask about my single status on landing ? Even if they ask, I am plnng to tell single only as i am still single when I get my COPR in Oct end.
OR if I say I married on landing, will it create any new problem ?
Any pitfalls that you can suggest ??

mayurd

Star Member
Feb 20, 2016
Whether the officer asks or not, the CoPR clearly says that you have to inform CIC if any changes happen to your family (by getting married for example) BEFORE landing. If you tell the officer that you are single while being married, you will NEVER be able to sponsor your spouse in the future and your PR may be REVOKED.
So your options are:
- land first before marriage, then get married and sponsor spouse later.
- inform CIC after marriage and submit spouse's documents (medical, PCC, etc) and wait for her to be added to your application.
You can NOT say I am married at landing, this will cause many problems and you will NEVER be able to sponsor your spouse in the future. Same as saying single while being married. You have to inform CIC about marriage BEFORE coming to Canada.
Thank you for your response. Actually, I am still not clear in the below aspect.

Soon after i get my PPR email, i have only 30 days to send my passport. During this time i am single. Now after getting my CoPR, i am going to get married and do landing. Just wondering if this will create a problem because at the time of submitting my passport i am really single. my status changed only after getting CoPR. Not sure of the process where a person gets married after CoPR and gets into problem on landing. Do they ask marriage status up on landing ? Pls clarify as i have to do my planning ASAP. Thanks.

Darko986

Star Member
May 24, 2016
Macedonia
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
VIENNA
Nomination.....
27-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
Med's Request
upfront
Passport Req..
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-05-2017
Thank you for your response. Actually, I am still not clear in the below aspect.

Soon after i get my PPR email, i have only 30 days to send my passport. During this time i am single. Now after getting my CoPR, i am going to get married and do landing. Just wondering if this will create a problem because at the time of submitting my passport i am really single. my status changed only after getting CoPR. Not sure of the process where a person gets married after CoPR and gets into problem on landing. Do they ask marriage status up on landing ? Pls clarify as i have to do my planning ASAP. Thanks.
You have the marital status written on the COPR. So you have to return the COPR, add your wife and get fresh COPR.
You must notify CIC if your status change before landing.

Engrhkb

Nov 3, 2017
Hi i would really like some clarification.

If i got my COPR in october 2017 and my wedding is on december 2017. What should i do? This is a very stressful situation as i can not extend the date of my wedding and i dont know how to go about this. Please let me know how to proceed. Should i go to canada as a single man before the wedding then apply for my wife and wait a year? That is too much. Please i would appreciate some guidance.

Baahubali

May 18, 2017
Hello, can someone please shed some light on spousal PR? I already have a Canadian PR. If I get married outside Canada,
1. If I have to apply for my spouse's PR, how long does the process take?
2. If it takes too long, can my spouse travel with me to Canada without a PR, lets say on another visa (like US H-4 visa)?

Thanks.

dream_canada2018

May 19, 2018
Hi,
I received PR and did soft landing in mid 2019. Came back to home country after doing soft landing.
Got married in 2019 end.
Planning to move to Canada in early 2021 and will apply for spouse visa.
Do I need to inform CIC about my marriage ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi,
I received PR and did soft landing in mid 2019. Came back to home country after doing soft landing.
Got married in 2019 end.
Planning to move to Canada in early 2021 and will apply for spouse visa.
Do I need to inform CIC about my marriage ?
No need to inform ahead of applying for spouse. If planning to apply for a TRV for your spouse these can be a challenge to get approved so you may be apart for a while as the spouse application is processed