+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting internships and jobs as an international student (MONTREAL, QUEBEC)

fahitos

Apr 10, 2020
Hello, I am currently aiming for 2021 entry to McGill University as an international student and I wanted to know whether it is easy for an international student who doesn't speak French to get internships during the course of study and eventually get a job after graduation.

Thank you.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hello, I am currently aiming for 2021 entry to McGill University as an international student and I wanted to know whether it is easy for an international student who doesn't speak French to get internships during the course of study and eventually get a job after graduation.

Thank you.
Hello Fahitos,

It depends on a lot of factors like:
Undergrad or Graduate?
Field of Study
Economic situation post COVID
Your interview/soft skills
Your GPA/technical skills

But if your question is more focused about the French part then I have heard that in Montreal everyone speaks English so that should not be a problem. Anywhere else in Quebec and you will need French. McGill graduates often get internships in other provinces (and countries) because it is so highly well known and reputated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thank you.
In general internships tend to go to Canadian students and PRs first. Really depends on your field of study. Would disagree that French isn’t an issue. For certain industries like IT it isn’t much of an issue but bilingual candidates will have an advantage for many other internships.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To what extent does the ranking of ones university matter in acquiring a well paying job?
It matters especially for your first job or first few jobs. It especially matters for things like business/finance, IT and a few others. Top employers will recruit from those schools. After that your job experience matters more than schooling.