+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting drivers license in Canada

schhina

Nov 15, 2016
I have an Indian driver’s license and and driving experience. I landed in Toronto and gave the written exam and got G1 license.
I am eligible to give a full G road test but unable to get an appointment anytime before 6 weeks.

Now, the challenge is that I have got a job in Vancouver BC and will be moving there in two weeks. My India experience letter is submitted in Toronto, so I am not sure how to proceed with getting a license now. Am I eligible to get full license road test in BC as well based on my records from Toronto? Or will I have to start my process again there and go for learner’s license? Any suggestions , please help

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have an Indian driver’s license and and driving experience. I landed in Toronto and gave the written exam and got G1 license.
I am eligible to give a full G road test but unable to get an appointment anytime before 6 weeks.

Now, the challenge is that I have got a job in Vancouver BC and will be moving there in two weeks. My India experience letter is submitted in Toronto, so I am not sure how to proceed with getting a license now. Am I eligible to get full license road test in BC as well based on my records from Toronto? Or will I have to start my process again there and go for learner’s license? Any suggestions , please help
Contact ICBC.

I would guess that ICBC would only look at the G1 and give you an equivalent learner's licence. You would probably have to submit the India experience letter to ICBC in order to meet that requirement.

L0VEL1VER

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
The ideal situation would be: bring your G1 (equivalent to L in BC) and your indian driving experience proof to BC, convert your G1 into a L, and apply for a road test in BC, though I am not sure if you still have your proof of Indian driving experience with you.