+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting divorced from co-signer during parents sponsorship

dranli

May 2, 2013
Hi guys,

I have submitted an application to sponsor my parents to come to Canada back in 2011; I was married at the time of submission and my ex-wife was my co-signer.

I am now finalizing my divorce, and am wondering how do I inform CIC of such, and how do I show that my individual income is sufficient to support the sponsoring?

Thank you in advance for your input!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
From the CIC website. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip02-eng.pdf

12.4. Handling withdrawal of co-signers A co-signer who wishes to withdraw must apply in writing and is subject to the following conditions: • the written request must be received well before a permanent residence visa has been issued; • the co-signer must provide a copy of the agreement initialed by each of the signatories (i.e., sponsor, co-signer and foreign national) acknowleging the removal of the co-signer; • the co-signer is not bound by the terms of the sponsorship if the sponsorship is approved. If written request is received and a permanent residence visa has been issued: • inform co-signers that notwithstanding their request to withdraw their support, they are bound by the terms of the sponsorship undertaking.