+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting CAD from India ( As Gift from Dad).. Taxable? limit? best way?

Dec 14, 2014
My father wants to sell some property he owns and want to send the money to me & my wife in Canada.
Can anyone tell me:

>If there is any limit or how much?
>will it be tax free OR If I will have to add it to my income & pay any taxes later?
>finally, What's the best(& safe) way to get INR from India to CAD in Canada?

Thanks !

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009

wfgSuper

Aug 29, 2017
My father wants to sell some property he owns and want to send the money to me & my wife in Canada.
Can anyone tell me:

>will it be tax free OR If I will have to add it to my income & pay any taxes later?

Thanks !
If you resident in canada and receiving funds from your father as gift or what ever way, it is not subject to tax in canada. You have to pay tax only for income earned in canada or elsewhere.

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
Hi!
Plz let me know the correct answer to this too!
Is there any gift limit for money sent frm India to Canada( as gift from parent)
And how much would it be taxed?

tulip07

Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
That Helps !! Thanks for input.
HI wfgSuper,
I came across this thread from 2017, and I was wondering if you can answer my question related to this very similar issue. Do you know what documentation other than may be a notarized gift letter is needed for my DAD to be able to do a wire transfer from his bank in INdia to my bank in Canada.

My Dad is not very tech savvy or familiar with legal system. I have to plan it for him and it is incredibly difficult to do so while I am in Canada.
Thanks

Rahul81

Jun 2, 2020
Just check whether you can declare funds that u will bring at later stage and I think once u declare you bring that in future without tax, please check rules around that

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just check whether you can declare funds that u will bring at later stage and I think once u declare you bring that in future without tax, please check rules around that
The poster is not bringing his own funds. Rather, his father is going transfer to his.

Rahul81

Jun 2, 2020
The poster is not bringing his own funds. Rather, his father is going transfer to his.
I can read that as well thanks for reminder.

but the person can still add funds over and above his funds which can be bought later. This way you can include gift amounts which you may expect to Receive.

sid1987

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
19-06-2018
AOR Received.
19-06-2018
Passport Req..
25 -07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
04-08-2018
i use tarnsferwise... awesome ... and best rates

Jan 2, 2015
Can anyone tell me:

Thanks !
The real question is: is there anything that you need to do to declare this money, whether or not it's taxable.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

The real question is: is there anything that you need to do to declare this money, whether or not it's taxable.
1. Assuming it will be a bank transfer, the Canadian bank will report it to Fintrac, as a transaction over $10K you don't have to do anything. Just make sure you have proof of where the funds came from, in case there are questions.
2. There are no taxes.