+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting back into Canada with visitor permit while waiting for PR

jason_kelly

Aug 19, 2013
Hey guys, I know its been a long time since I've written anything here but wanted some quick advice. I posted this message on the Korean thread, but hoping to get more response, I sent my application to sponsor my wife and it was received in October 2014 and I was approved for sponsorship and now I'm waiting. we moved to Canada with no issues shortly thereafter and bought a house and I got a job. A couple months ago I sent in an application to extend my wife's visitor permit which we got last month and it extends her stay till April 2015(hopefully she'll have her PR before then) and now she would like to visit her parents with a our 2 children(both have Canadian Passports) for a month this summer. She read on my Korean cafe that some other people were not allow re-entry into Canada, so she is worried that she might be denied re-entry with our Canadian/Korean kids when she comes back from Korea this summer. Do you guys think she will have an problems? Could customs really deny her re-entry?

Any advice would be appreciated. Im thinking I'll give her a notarized letter from me giving her permission to take the kids for a visit with a copy of my passport, sponsorship approval letter and of course her visitor permit good till next april.

Cheers

Jason

fumbler1983

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2014
AOR Received.
22-07-2014
Med's Done....
28-02-2014
Passport Req..
08-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2014
LANDED..........
28-09-2014
I am from the US so I dont know if it is the same but right on my visitor visa it says "does not authorize reentry". I have also read in numerous places that once you leave Canada your visitor visa is void. I think it will just be one of those things where she "should" be ok since you are doing everything correctly. There is always that 1 in 100 person who could refuse her entry though. I decided not to chance it seeing as I wouldnt even enjoy my trip back to the US because of the worry of getting back in. In my opinion though since you share kids together that could better her chances as well. Just always know that she is not guaranteed entry back in if she leaves.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
i agree with the above poster. it really depends on the rules for your country. the one thing I think that does help is that her visa is valid for a future date, so that *may* work in her favor as she tries to re-enter. I would suspect they will ask her a lot of questions about why she left, what she was doing, and she will probably need to show significant ties to her home country. there is ALWAYS a chance someone will be denied entry... it is very dependant on the specific border agent you get and their mood in that moment.