+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting a visitor visa while PR visa is being processed

Beefstick

Star Member
Jan 8, 2018
Hi folks,

Why is it not that common to see people applying for visitor visas while their main PR application is being processed? It seems like a no-brainer to me, unless of course, there are some caveats to it.

Also, can we simply reuse the medical results from the PR application for the visitor visa application (it has been less than 6 months since the test). If yes, how do we do that? The results were directly sent by the hospital to CIC.

Thank you,
Beef

Ayat

Star Member
May 20, 2018
AOR Received.
12-04-2018
File Transfer...
01-06-2018
Med's Request
23-05-2018
Med's Done....
23-12-2018
TRV is next near impossible, many of us have tried even with the most reasonable, desperate circumstances, MP support or doctor's letter and it heartlessly comes out rejected so we don't bother anymore.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi folks,

Why is it not that common to see people applying for visitor visas while their main PR application is being processed? It seems like a no-brainer to me, unless of course, there are some caveats to it.

Also, can we simply reuse the medical results from the PR application for the visitor visa application (it has been less than 6 months since the test). If yes, how do we do that? The results were directly sent by the hospital to CIC.

Thank you,
Beef
Hi

People do try but the simple fact is that the vast majority are refused. IRCC almost always determines that with a citizen/PR spouse in Canada and a sponsorship app in process, the applicant has stronger ties to Canada and is therefore an overstay risk.

You can use the same medical. You submit a copy of the receipt.

M

mikeymyke

My wife got hers, but we had to send in a ton of documents to prove she wont overstay or work illegally.

Beefstick

Star Member
Jan 8, 2018
TRV is next near impossible, many of us have tried even with the most reasonable, desperate circumstances, MP support or doctor's letter and it heartlessly comes out rejected so we don't bother anymore.
Hi Ayat, that is disheartening to hear. Perhaps it is these "desperate" circumstances that are leading CIC to believe in higher chance of the visitor overstaying illegally?

Hi

People do try but the simple fact is that the vast majority are refused. IRCC almost always determines that with a citizen/PR spouse in Canada and a sponsorship app in process, the applicant has stronger ties to Canada and is therefore an overstay risk.

You can use the same medical. You submit a copy of the receipt.
Thank you canuk_in_uk for your reply.

My wife got hers, but we had to send in a ton of documents to prove she wont overstay or work illegally.
Thanks mike; it gives me some hope. What were these documents?

M

mikeymyke

Proof of employment, 3 months of bank statements showing money being deposited from work, family registry booklet showing her living at home with her entire family, travel insurance, her passport showing entry to different countries with no overstay, cover letter detailing plans on what she will do and where she will go while living with me, etc. I think the last part is where most people fail, because they're very vague about what they plan on doing, and so a lot of them get refused based on "purpose of visit".

Beefstick

Star Member
Jan 8, 2018
Proof of employment, 3 months of bank statements showing money being deposited from work, family registry booklet showing her living at home with her entire family, travel insurance, her passport showing entry to different countries with no overstay, cover letter detailing plans on what she will do and where she will go while living with me, etc. I think the last part is where most people fail, because they're very vague about what they plan on doing, and so a lot of them get refused based on "purpose of visit".
Thanks for the details Mike. I will make sure that my Cover Letter explains it well. I have two more questions for you, if you don't mind:

1) Are there any specific "purpose of visit" that you recommend that I put down? (My wife literally just wants to stay with me and spend time together...nothing else...definitely no plans to overstay).

2) My wife does not currently work. Will this reduce her changes of getting a visitor visa?

Thank you once again,
Beef

M

mikeymyke

1. Purpose of visit, just say she will come visit you, she will be staying at your home, you will cover her expenses. When youre at work, she will just stay home. When youre home, you guys will go see _____, then go see_____, then visit your family, go on this road trip, etc. Show kind of an itinerary as to what your plans are. Dont have to get too crazy specific, but need to show what shes going to be doing

2. Yes because no job means fewer ties to return home. However its still possible to be approved

Ayat

Star Member
May 20, 2018
AOR Received.
12-04-2018
File Transfer...
01-06-2018
Med's Request
23-05-2018
Med's Done....
23-12-2018
Hi Ayat, that is disheartening to hear. Perhaps it is these "desperate" circumstances that are leading CIC to believe in higher chance of the visitor overstaying illegally?

Thank you canuk_in_uk for your reply.

Thanks mike; it gives me some hope. What were these documents?
Even if the person is already sponsoring their spouse and have a baby together ?? It is ridiculous for a Canadian citizen who works and pays taxes to be treated that way.

Last edited:
M

mikeymyke

Even if the person is already sponsoring their spouse and have a baby together ?? It is ridiculous for a Canadian citizen who works and pays taxes to be treated that way.
That doesn't really mean anything to them. The applicant is not a Canadian or PR, and have to demonstrate they will leave. I work and pay taxes too and I don't expect them to grant my wife a visitor visa, she's got to prove she'll abide by the rules. Also it's pretty much impossible to get a TRV if you've been refused so many times. What did you put for purpose of visit of your husband?

Last edited by a moderator:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The issue is that many are not true visitors and will the apply for inland spousal sponsorship so they are rightly refused visitor visas. Canada is pretty clear about the process for spousal sponsorship and how long it takes. Unlike PRs, Canadian citizens are allowed to live with their spouses or common law partners in another country while they sponsor so Canada does reward it's citizens. If you have a child knowing the sponsorship rules you have to deal with the consequences. The Canadian PR or citizen can also visit their partner/spouse in the other country.

Ayat

Star Member
May 20, 2018
AOR Received.
12-04-2018
File Transfer...
01-06-2018
Med's Request
23-05-2018
Med's Done....
23-12-2018
Even if we are already sponsoring our spouse and have a child together ?? It is ridiculous for a Canadian citizen who works and pays taxes to be treated like this.
That doesn't really mean anything to them. The applicant is not a Canadian or PR, and have to demonstrate they will leave. I work and pay taxes too and I don't expect them to grant my wife a visitor visa, she's got to prove she'll abide by the rules. Also it's pretty much impossible to get a TRV if you've been refused so many times. What did you put for purpose of visit of your husband?
To support me when I was giving birth as I had complications in pregnancy and difficulties with my family.

@canuck78 - I grew up in Canada and had NO idea that my husband wouldn't be allowed to visit me when I got pregnant. I never thought Canada would be like that; not realising that the Canadian govt treated people as "guilty until proven innocent". My husband never had a problem getting visas for Europe so I had thought Canada would have been similar. We had already submitted our sponsorship app by the 3rd time we applied for TRV. I couldn't leave my job to be with him and why would I want to give birth in a developing country? I paid taxes my whole life, I should stay where I can get medical support. Anyway I have mostly overcome this frustration but it was still a stressful process and something that I do believe requires some kind of modification.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To support me when I was giving birth as I had complications in pregnancy and difficulties with my family.

@canuck78 - I grew up in Canada and had NO idea that my husband wouldn't be allowed to visit me when I got pregnant. I never thought Canada would be like that; not realising that the Canadian govt treated people as "guilty until proven innocent". My husband never had a problem getting visas for Europe so I had thought Canada would have been similar. We had already submitted our sponsorship app by the 3rd time we applied for TRV. I couldn't leave my job to be with him and why would I want to give birth in a developing country? I paid taxes my whole life, I should stay where I can get medical support. Anyway I have mostly overcome this frustration but it was still a stressful process and something that I do believe requires some kind of modification.
Unfortunately you didn't do your research. If pregnancy would result in faster reunification, many would get pregnant to come to Canada faster.

Ayat

Star Member
May 20, 2018
AOR Received.
12-04-2018
File Transfer...
01-06-2018
Med's Request
23-05-2018
Med's Done....
23-12-2018
Unfortunately you didn't do your research. If pregnancy would result in faster reunification, many would get pregnant to come to Canada faster.
That wasn't the point but whatever.

M

mikeymyke

Having a wife and child in Canada actually reduces the chances of getting a TRV significantly, as theyre your two strongest family ties, the applicant has a greater likelihood of overstaying or not leaving Canada