shadh

Star Member
Jun 15, 2012
Ottawa
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My current status is student authorization (study permit). It expires at 31st august 2014.

I have finished my degree (havent recieved the grades yet but i'm certain i didnt fail) and in order to get a 3 years PGWP, I need 3 years validity on passport, which I don't have so my high commission here has agreed to issue me a new passport (they wont extend it).

So, the question is regarding the study permit. Since it was issued under the old passport, do I need to contact someone when I get the new one? (the old one will be attached to the new one) , I'm going to visit Bangladesh in a few days, and will be coming back within 1st march, what if I get the new passport from there? Do I inform anyone or do I HAVE to get the new passport from here?

p.s: It'd help even if you could tell me how do I get a hold of an agent through the CIC, all the automated responses just lead to simple information already on the website

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VFS Makati; paper)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
You're going to have to carry both your old and new passports. My dad has an active visa on an expired passport and so he carries both when he travels. The immigration officer will check the visa on the old passport but put stamps of departure/arrival on the new one.

se2858

Apr 18, 2014
hi,

shadh, I saw your post regarding the renew passport with the valid study permit because you are expecting 3 year pgwp.

I notice that I have the same issue with you. I am graduating this june and my study permit expired on june 30, and my passport will expired on december 2015, since i have only 1 year validity, i am planning to renew my passport to get 3 years pgwp, but i am not sure if i renew my passport, do i need to renew my study permit since my study permit is based on the old passport, but i might not get the renew study permit request since i am graduating and not a student anymore.
so will my study permit be invalid if i renew my passport? or i can still use the renew passport with the study permit that contain the information of the old passport?

My other question is, will it be alright at the immigration when you enter canada from your own country with the renewed passport but with the old study permit (that contain the old passport's information)?

I am hoping to hear your experience because i know that you went through this situation before.
Thank you so much and i am looking forward to hear from you soon.
I really appreciate your respond and help.

shadh

Star Member
Jun 15, 2012
Ottawa
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. When you "re-issue" a passport, the old visa and everything regarding doesnt become invalid. It is pretty simple ; the old visa was issued to you bearing your old passport, say, "A" , now if you re-issue one , it'll have a different number , lets say "B" , but since "B" would still have the indication you were the bearer of passport number "A" , even if they take away the old passport, show them the old study permit and you'll still get a new visa stamped in your new passport.

2. They dont take away your old passport when you re-issue. In critical cases where renewing can be done but it contains valid visa, they will give it back while just renewing the first page containing the validity. Just in an odd chance they wont, for the abovementioned reason, CIC will issue you a visa in your passport having the validity of your latest document (off campus work permit or study permit)

3. As for my experience, CIC just asks you once "why" since the visa's in the old one. They are well aware of the pgwp rules so as soon as you answer, they'll let you pass

se2858

Apr 18, 2014
Hi shadh,

Thank you very much for your respond.
its really helpful.
I would like to ask about your experience if you dont mind sharing it. Did you get 3 years pgwp after you renew your passport?
I am not clear about your point number 3, what did they ask you and what do you mean by "why" ? could you share it to me and explain the process. :)

I think I will follow you and renew my passport first before apply the pgwp. :)

Btw, do u by any chance know if there is a minimum validity date to enter canada?
Since my study permit valid until june 30, and i will be entering canada on june 8 after i finished my internship in brazil (i will renew my passport here in brazil).
Its just 22 days remaining of the validity of my study permit, would it be alright at the immigration process to enter canada with this situation?

Thank you very much once again for sharing your experience.
I really appreciated your help. Thanks a lot!! :)