Med's Request
22-4-2014 Passport Req:22-4-2014
Med's Done....
28-4-2014 3rd line updated: 9-05-14
VISA ISSUED...
6-6-2014
LANDED..........
Mid Of September !!!
Canada: the land of opportunity. For 250,000 or so immigrants each and every year who are accepted into our country, the dream of a better life becomes a possibility.

Over the past 15 years alone Canada has brought in nearly 3.5 million immigrants. Our country has one of the highest per capita rates of permanent immigration in the world—roughly 0.8 percent of Canada’s total population (34 million) in recent years.

But gaining entry into Canada in one of the two main ways—as either a permanent resident or temporary worker—can take time. And there is no guarantee once you arrive here that you will find a job, at your level, within a reasonable amount of time.

What then are the rewards and challenges of immigrating to Canada for employment?

The Rewards: A Peaceful, Democratic Country With Lots of Opportunity

The name “Canada” is thought to come from the First Nations word Kanata, which means village or settlement. It is the second largest country in the world in terms of sheer geographic size: bigger even than the United States or China!

Almost every industry and profession exists in Canada throughout its ten provinces and three territories. However demand for various types of workers can differ greatly between regions. Therefore each province and one territory has its own Provincial Nomination System for specific classes of workers.

Canadian employers are well aware of the benefits of hiring immigrants. Newcomers tend to be hard working and reliable. They bring with them international experience and fresh ideas. There are even some employers that prefer to hire people from other countries and cultures, especially companies that do business overseas or who market within Canada to ethnic audiences.

Job Search Challenges for Immigrants and Newcomers

You might think that in such a large country there would be ample opportunity for all. But you should know that the unemployment rate in Canada remains relatively high compared to past years. And this rate is nearly double for newcomers.

In fact, only one in four foreign-educated immigrants in Canada work in occupations that truly match their qualifications. Compare this figure to the nearly two out of three Canadian-born and educated professionals who work in their chosen field.

What Are The Barriers To Getting Hired?

There are three main reasons why immigrants and newcomers often find it harder to secure a good job than people who have been in Canada for a long time:

1. Lack of “Canadian experience”. Our country may have its own sets of regulations, laws and ways of doing things in your field of employment. Local employers may insist that you have proven familiarity with these before they’ll hire you here.

2. Credentials Don’t Get Recognized. Canadian employers may be suspicious of foreign credentials, such as university degrees and professional licenses. Moreover there are regulated industries (one where you must have a Canadian licence, certificate, or be registered with the regulatory body for your occupation) such as engineering, medicine, nursing, electrician and plumber, etc. You’ll need to have your credentials reviewed and you may have to take some courses that upgrade you to Canadian standards.

3. Language Obstacles. The two official languages in Canada are English and French. If you are not fluent in the tongue most used where you settle, employers may find it hard to understand you. This could hurt your chances of getting hired at a suitable level.

Other potential hurdles include coming to Canada without knowing other people who are already established this country; cultural differences that can lead to miscommunication; getting stuck in “survival jobs” that pay poorly and reduce your ability to look for more appropriate work; and lacking the funds to last here long enough until you find a job at your level or in your industry.

Employment Circumstances In Your Favour

Despite the somewhat daunting odds, there are some advantages that immigrants and newcomers may have over established Canadians. It depends on the type of job you’re seeking and the region you settle in.

For instance, employers here know that many newcomers are willing to work longer hours for the same or lesser rate of pay. Other employers value your international experience and different ideas. Plus the extra language(s) you speak, aside from English and French, can be very helpful to employers who are trying to reach other Canadians from your ethnic or cultural background, or who are doing business with countries where your language(s) are spoken.

Making Canada Your New Home

There are all sorts of resources for you once you are accepted for work here. This includes Settlement agencies that help you find a place to live and get used to Canadian culture; free language courses to help you learn English or French; job finding centers specifically for internationally-trained job seekers, and much.

Still you need to keep in mind that competition for jobs in Canada is intense. Be prepared for a longer, more difficult search for employment than you might have hoped for. And read our series of articles describing success stories of others who have chosen Canada as their new home. They’ve managed to overcome the barriers, and maybe you can too.

IS LIFE THAT TOUGH IN CANADA ? AT THE MOMENT OR IN THE FUTURE. COULD ANYONE TELL SOME VALUABLE FACTS AND PERSONAL EXPERIENCES ....WHICH WILL BE REALLY HELPFUL AND MOTIVATIONAL.......your help is much appreciated THANKS

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
it is. its a cheating system.
only people who have networks are getting jobs.
they strongly want Canadian experiences.
its a total nightmare here now.

mr.Hope

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04/7/13, DD Charged-29/9/13, PER - 03/12/13
AOR Received.
16/1/2014 Interview: 15-4-2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
VISA ISSUED...
6-6-2014
LANDED..........
Mid Of September !!!
Hi
How someone would get Canadian experience ? if they just landed
Few provinces do hv jobs,I guess it all depends on your profession

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
mr.Hope said:
Hi
How someone would get Canadian experience ? if they just landed
Few provinces do hv jobs,I guess it all depends on your profession
Depending on your situation, there are many options.

Return to school and get Canadian diploma, certification, or degree to supplement your degree from back home - and maybe work an internship while in school. That's very valuable experience. Join professional associations, attend their meetings and events to meet people in your field. Some jobs you can get Canadian experience by doing volunteer work (teacher volunteering with Big Brother Big Sister Canada for example). You could also look into Temp agencies to see if they have any work in your field (if applicable, I don't think temp agencies fill spots for doctors.... hehe.) It also doesn't hurt to see if your country/ethnic group/religion has community associations- you could meet your next boss at church or a picnic.

Or you can do my plan. Get grunt job in my choice field (retail management, but I suspect I'll be cleaning the toilets at first). Work hard and try to get promoted. Apply for management training programs with my employer and other retailers. Eventually, I'll get promoted and my training. :)

mr.Hope

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
VISA ISSUED...
6-6-2014
LANDED..........
Mid Of September !!!
amikety said:
Depending on your situation, there are many options.

Return to school and get Canadian diploma, certification, or degree to supplement your degree from back home - and maybe work an internship while in school. That's very valuable experience. Join professional associations, attend their meetings and events to meet people in your field. Some jobs you can get Canadian experience by doing volunteer work (teacher volunteering with Big Brother Big Sister Canada for example). You could also look into Temp agencies to see if they have any work in your field (if applicable, I don't think temp agencies fill spots for doctors.... hehe.) It also doesn't hurt to see if your country/ethnic group/religion has community associations- you could meet your next boss at church or a picnic.

Or you can do my plan. Get grunt job in my choice field (retail management, but I suspect I'll be cleaning the toilets at first). Work hard and try to get promoted. Apply for management training programs with my employer and other retailers. Eventually, I'll get promoted and my training. :)
Hi
Thanks for the info, definitely I reckon doing some certification which won't have much duration time, and I'll look for my ethnic community associations..hope they give me some help :D :D ....I have few friends in Calgary they are saying I can find a job easily in my field in Calgary when compared to other provinces. So how are the professional associations like, could you please give me some links/information so that I can contact them before hand, and in Canada are the Job Recruitment Agencies abundant just like in the US ?

Even I'm ready to follow your plan if I get that kind of job roles initially and get promoted....it'll work right.... 8) 8)

sunny1975

Star Member
Jun 14, 2010
hi all

If you have the required skills for the job and can convince employer that you can perform well . This will give u a chance.

I told during my interview that i know the job , but can spend more time to get used to Canada system

I came to Canada 2 months back and got a good offer in my own field with a decent salary.

So keep your spirit high ..and trust in God.

regards

Sunny

sunny

DSD

Star Member
Oct 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with the Application
sunny1975 said:
hi all

If you have the required skills for the job and can convince employer that you can perform well . This will give u a chance.

I told during my interview that i know the job , but can spend more time to get used to Canada system

I came to Canada 2 months back and got a good offer in my own field with a decent salary.

So keep your spirit high ..and trust in God.

regards

Sunny

sunny
Dear Sunny,
May i know your field of interest ?
I am from India and i am an IT SAP Consultant.
What do you think of chances in canada for my profession ? Wud i get a decent offer there ?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
DSD said:
Dear Sunny,
May i know your field of interest ?
I am from India and i am an IT SAP Consultant.
What do you think of chances in canada for my profession ? Wud i get a decent offer there ?
The IT field isn't in high demand here. They usually don't recruit outside of Canada.

DSD

Star Member
Oct 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2014
IELTS Request
amikety said:
The IT field isn't in high demand here. They usually don't recruit outside of Canada.
Dear amikety ,

Ohh Is it :( You are referring a perticular province of canada or you are referring whole of canada for IT lopportunities !!
Well, if it is the case then should we rethink our decision of applying for canada PR ?
I have done SAP Cerification, do you think it wud help me out to fetch a good job there ?

-DSD

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
You have a much better chance of getting a job in Canada as a PR. If you have a university degree and want to live in Canada, I encourage you to consider applying. Do whatever you think is best for you.

However, degrees and experience obtained in many foreign countries don't mean a thing here. Many Canadian employers do not recognize degrees earned outside of North America/Western Europe/Australia. The reason is the "standard for education aren't the same." (I don't know of that's true... It's a topic that's debatable IMO.) If you come to Canada without a job offer or good connections, in order to work in the IT field, you'll need a Canadian education. (And you could get the online while your application is processing.)

Without a Canadian education, you very well could end up driving a taxi or manning the counter at 7-11. There's nothing wrong with either job, but that's not what you want to do.

Just things to consider. It's a tough decision. And remember, if you're very close to family, visiting can be difficult too.

DSD

Star Member
Oct 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2014
IELTS Request
amikety said:
You have a much better chance of getting a job in Canada as a PR. If you have a university degree and want to live in Canada, I encourage you to consider applying. Do whatever you think is best for you.

However, degrees and experience obtained in many foreign countries don't mean a thing here. Many Canadian employers do not recognize degrees earned outside of North America/Western Europe/Australia. The reason is the "standard for education aren't the same." (I don't know of that's true... It's a topic that's debatable IMO.) If you come to Canada without a job offer or good connections, in order to work in the IT field, you'll need a Canadian education. (And you could get the online while your application is processing.)

Without a Canadian education, you very well could end up driving a taxi or manning the counter at 7-11. There's nothing wrong with either job, but that's not what you want to do.

Just things to consider. It's a tough decision. And remember, if you're very close to family, visiting can be difficult too.
Dear amikety ,
Thats wonderful explanation..
I do agree with ur opinion that is why we are not able to make up our mind to take decision at the moment.
I am an Post graduate here and earning above average income and my family is also dependent on me so it wud be lot of risk in moving to different country bcs if i wont be able to fetch some good job , it wud be difficult time for all of us... :(
BTW, thanks for your feedback :)

mr.Hope

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
VISA ISSUED...
6-6-2014
LANDED..........
Mid Of September !!!
Hi DSD

could you please tell me which Functional Consultant are you in SAP ?

DSD

Star Member
Oct 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2014
IELTS Request
mr.Hope said:
Hi DSD

could you please tell me which Functional Consultant are you in SAP ?
I am an FI consultant (Ceritified)...
and my husband is MM-SD consultant.
We both are planning to apply or canada PR.

mr.Hope

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
VISA ISSUED...
6-6-2014
LANDED..........
Mid Of September !!!
DSD said:
I am an FI consultant (Ceritified)...
and my husband is MM-SD consultant.
We both are planning to apply or canada PR.
Hi
If you have good Experience working in a reputed company then you should do some job hunting I guess its much easier with a Job offer....upload your CV's or contact SAP employers......you'll know how the current jobs/requirements are, which province has more requirements in your field....etc etc......

V

vidya

I waited patiently for 3 months after landing and got a job in my own field without Canadian experience or education. Total 3 interviews were conducted and a extensive background check with all my past Dubai employers.
It all depends how you convince the hiring manager and your communication & soft skills.
But the important thing is TRUST & HAVE FAITH IN GOD.