Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-05-2019
AOR Received.
15-05-2019
Passport Req..
30-01-2020
You should have seen a number on the webpage immediately you applied, it wasn't emailed to anyone. Do you remember what day you applied?
I applied on 4/8 and my number is 1832....nothing as yet for me.

MahtaAlijani

Nov 26, 2019
You can keep using your expired SIN. Once you get your permanent SIN, it is all linked.
Hi, do you have any proof for that ? I am asking because I need to work and they ask for SIN and all Service Canada centres are closed and my previous one is expired and they don't accept the expired one and I almost going to loose my job opportunity. so if you can give me any link I can offer it to my job as well./
Thanks

Skp1310

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
Hi, do you have any proof for that ? I am asking because I need to work and they ask for SIN and all Service Canada centres are closed and my previous one is expired and they don't accept the expired one and I almost going to loose my job opportunity. so if you can give me any link I can offer it to my job as well./
Thanks
Apply online

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/apply.html

It will take 20+ days to reach u. Currently no other go for us.

Reactions: MahtaAlijani

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/ei-employers-sin.html

Employers only know your SIN is expired if you tell them. All you needed to show them was that you have authorization to work.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thanks
There is a phone # employers can call which will tell them the validity of the SIN, if the SIN starts with a 9.
If the SIN expiration date was linked to the work permit , then it would need to be extended
From the Government

Ensure that all employees who have a SIN beginning with a "9" are authorized to work in Canada and that their immigration document has not expired.
SINs beginning with a "9" are issued to temporary workers who are neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents. These temporary SINs are valid until the expiry date indicated on the immigration document authorizing them to work in Canada.

• Ask to see the employee's existing immigration document authorizing him or her to work in Canada (e.g. work permit, study permit) and verify that it has not expired. If the immigration document has expired, ask the employee to contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to obtain a valid document and to provide it to Service Canada to have the new expiry date entered into their SIN record. Take the necessary steps to renew or rehire the employee.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
There is a phone # employers can call which will tell them the validity of the SIN, if the SIN starts with a 9.
If the SIN expiration date was linked to the work permit , then it would need to be extended
From the Government

Ensure that all employees who have a SIN beginning with a "9" are authorized to work in Canada and that their immigration document has not expired.
SINs beginning with a "9" are issued to temporary workers who are neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents. These temporary SINs are valid until the expiry date indicated on the immigration document authorizing them to work in Canada.

• Ask to see the employee's existing immigration document authorizing him or her to work in Canada (e.g. work permit, study permit) and verify that it has not expired. If the immigration document has expired, ask the employee to contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to obtain a valid document and to provide it to Service Canada to have the new expiry date entered into their SIN record. Take the necessary steps to renew or rehire the employee.
Implied Status and the right to continue working is recognized. It's fine to work with an expired SIN.

Before extending employment for your employee
  • You must always verify that the employee is eligible to continue working in Canada. Your employee must apply to IRCC to extend their authorization to stay and work in Canada before the expiry date on their document.
  • If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations provide them the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions while their application for renewal is being processed, as long as they remain in Canada. This is referred to as "implied status." The temporary foreign worker will have implied status until a decision is rendered by IRCC.

MahtaAlijani

Nov 26, 2019
I provided a hydro bill of a friends apartment and even though it does not carry my name, it went through. I asked him and he said they were not really being strict with the proof of address requirement as they really wanted something to show that you had access to the apartment they will be mailing the SIN to so if you provided something similar, it should be okay.
so the driving licence should be fine right? for proof of address

Skp1310

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
Hey all, I got a letter from service Canada stating my request was not processed as docs are missing. I submitted my work permit and drivers licence and I’m super confused about this letter. Anyone in same situation??