+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Get sponsored by parents as a dependent adult?

knert

Jan 17, 2021
Is it possible to be sponsored by my parents even if I'm over the age of 22? I am 24 now but I've been dependent on my parents ever since. I am not disabled mentally nor physically, but I have been completely dependent on them since birth.

If it's not possible what are my options to migrate, join my family and become a citizen?

Thank you for your insights.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
No; because you are not physically or mentally disabled, it is not possible for your parents to sponsor you as a dependent.

Per their definition of a dependent adult child:
"Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:
  • they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition
  • they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22"
You need to apply through one of the economic streams, or get sponsored through a common-law relationship or through marriage, if you want to try to immigrate to Canada.

Here is the link on how to get started:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No. It is not possible. Also if they were sponsored by one of your siblings, you would have been included in the application if under 22. Look at economic immigration through Express Entry or studying in Canada. For a study permit, you need to show strong ties to your home, funds and career progression in your home country.