+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Get my American fiance up here in Canada

bethanya

Dec 18, 2009
Canada...eh?
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Heya!

I first met my fiance online on a little forum I owned. We talked for about 6 months before we finally met. My family and I went to the states to meet him, and we became a couple. For the next year and couple months, we would visit each other about every 3 months. We both got to college (he got a student visa), and we were both in the ECE (early childhood education) program. He proposed to me the week he got there.

I'm not in college anymore, due to a new condition I just recently developed that disallows me to even walk properly. So, I couldn't be on the campus, as I was labeled 'dependent'. So, my fiance is still in the program as a full-time student with a job on campus.

We are HOPING to get married in the summer this year, with my dad (a pastor) to officiate the ceremony. My fiance REALLY wants to come up here to live and work, but we can't find any way for him to be up here AND work legally. I mean, there's the work visa, but that takes so long...and then, with my condition, I can't SPONSOR him. There would be no physical way for me to do that.

So, is there a good way that we can get him to live up here with me and get a good job so he can support us in Canada? PLEASE? I would REALLY appreciate any and all help! I've been searching this for MONTHS, and I can't find anything!

Thank-you!!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you get married you can sponsor him. Disability support does not count as social welfare, so that won't pose a problem.

bethanya said:
Heya!

I first met my fiance online on a little forum I owned. We talked for about 6 months before we finally met. My family and I went to the states to meet him, and we became a couple. For the next year and couple months, we would visit each other about every 3 months. We both got to college (he got a student visa), and we were both in the ECE (early childhood education) program. He proposed to me the week he got there.

I'm not in college anymore, due to a new condition I just recently developed that disallows me to even walk properly. So, I couldn't be on the campus, as I was labeled 'dependent'. So, my fiance is still in the program as a full-time student with a job on campus.

We are HOPING to get married in the summer this year, with my dad (a pastor) to officiate the ceremony. My fiance REALLY wants to come up here to live and work, but we can't find any way for him to be up here AND work legally. I mean, there's the work visa, but that takes so long...and then, with my condition, I can't SPONSOR him. There would be no physical way for me to do that.

So, is there a good way that we can get him to live up here with me and get a good job so he can support us in Canada? PLEASE? I would REALLY appreciate any and all help! I've been searching this for MONTHS, and I can't find anything!

Thank-you!!

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
bethanya said:
To come up here as you put it: He may apply for visitor visa. You or your parents must provide the financial support.
Working legally is a whole another story.

Best option is still to get married and sponsor him as your spouse. Financial support is not too important when it comes spousal sponsorship.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is actually not important at all; there are no financial requirements.

helios said:
Best option is still to get married and sponsor him as your spouse. Financial support is not too important when it comes spousal sponsorship.

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
Karlshammar said:
It is actually not important at all; there are no financial requirements.
It helps if you can provide valid proof, but it is not a deciding factor of the successful outcome of a spousal sponsor case. :p

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nah, it doesn't help. Once you fulfill the basic requirements all they do is look for disqualifying factors and evaluate the genuineness of the relationship. The financial details are unimportant (beyond not being on welfare or in bankruptcy).

helios said:
It helps if you can provide valid proof, but it is not a deciding factor of the successful outcome of a spousal sponsor case. :p

bethanya

Dec 18, 2009
Canada...eh?
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, couldn't my fiance apply for permanent residence? Or does that not allow the person to work in Canada? What about that and getting a work visa? Couldn't he do THAT? I can't APPLY for disability because the psychiatrist deemed my condition as a panic disorder, and that means I CAN'T go to disability. CAN'T. There is no WAY I can bring enough income for rent and food and clothing (even scraping by with every little dollar we had JUST for the necessary bills with no phone, no internet, etc) with what I CAN do for money! We'd have to depend on a business idea that I wouldn't be able to keep up at the pace it would HAVE to be in order to get the minimum amount! And my family can't support theirs AND mine! They're barely able to pay for this wedding AND part of the honeymoon AND their own bills and EVERYTHING! ((the wedding is small and cheap, and the honeymoon isn't that expensive either...)) I couldn't be able to ask them to SUPPORT the two of us!! Not without some form of income to keep our side of the costs PAID (phone-line, water usage, food, rent for bed, etc.) which we don't have, if he can't work.

Couldn't he work with his student visa? Like for...practicum or something? He has to get that time in ANYWAY, so couldn't he just get a job somewhere and take school part-time? Or is there a limit to what you can do with the student visa?!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you are married you can apply to sponsor him. Since you have not been living together for a year (if I understand you correctly) you can't apply as common-law, and it's very unlikely that they would accept a conjugal partner application from an American.

The fact that you are disabled does not preclude you from sponsoring him, nor does your financial, or physical capabilities or lack thereof. The only thing that would stop you from sponsoring him is being on welfare or in the middle of bankruptcy.

Once your application has been approved and he has become a PR he can work without restriction.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
bethanya said:
Well, couldn't my fiance apply for permanent residence? Or does that not allow the person to work in Canada? What about that and getting a work visa? Couldn't he do THAT? I can't APPLY for disability because the psychiatrist deemed my condition as a panic disorder, and that means I CAN'T go to disability. CAN'T. There is no WAY I can bring enough income for rent and food and clothing (even scraping by with every little dollar we had JUST for the necessary bills with no phone, no internet, etc) with what I CAN do for money! We'd have to depend on a business idea that I wouldn't be able to keep up at the pace it would HAVE to be in order to get the minimum amount! And my family can't support theirs AND mine! They're barely able to pay for this wedding AND part of the honeymoon AND their own bills and EVERYTHING! ((the wedding is small and cheap, and the honeymoon isn't that expensive either...)) I couldn't be able to ask them to SUPPORT the two of us!! Not without some form of income to keep our side of the costs PAID (phone-line, water usage, food, rent for bed, etc.) which we don't have, if he can't work.

Couldn't he work with his student visa? Like for...practicum or something? He has to get that time in ANYWAY, so couldn't he just get a job somewhere and take school part-time? Or is there a limit to what you can do with the student visa?!
Is he a student in a college or university in Canada?

bethanya

Dec 18, 2009
Canada...eh?
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
job_seeker said:
Is he a student in a college or university in Canada?
Yes, he is. He is currently a full-time student at a college in Canada. He is finishing his semester this spring and is HOPING to go to full-time work, even if he has to do a couple courses while he works to get the full degree.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
bethanya said:
Yes, he is. He is currently a full-time student at a college in Canada. He is finishing his semester this spring and is HOPING to go to full-time work, even if he has to do a couple courses while he works to get the full degree.
There you go. He can work off campus (20hrs per week) and after graduation PGWP. So he can be working in Canada while you sponsor him after your marriage. He can't be working full time with his student visa. He can change his status though to that of a worker but you're getting married in the summer anyway and he's finishing his course in spring so why change now.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work.asp