+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Get married and then apply for Inland Sponsorship?

dreakay

Feb 24, 2015
Hi everyone,

I've been searching this site for some time and I can't seem to find anyone talking about exactly what my fiance and I are wondering about. He's an American Citizen and I'm a Canadian one. We are planning on getting married this July and then apply for me to sponsor him while he becomes a PR right after that.

The thing we are most worried about is him coming into the country about a month before the planned wedding. He's only going to have a one way ticket and when they ask him the purpose of his trip and he says to get married is there a chance they won't let him in? This is stressing us out so much.

Has anyone gone through this before or have advice?

chris1302

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
why wouldn't you just get a return ticket for him, i think that would help a lot when passing through customs .

JerseyGirl1985

Sep 26, 2014
Hello!

My husband (Canadian) and I (American) got married this past August and I moved to Canada immediately after the wedding. We decided to get married in the states where I am from and then return to Canada after. I had a one way ticket into Canada and did not have any issues but we had JUST been married at this point. My husband when traveling to the states also did not have any issues when he had to tell the officers he was coming to the US for his wedding day. I don't see it being an issue but I am basing this off of my own personal experience...plus, your husband is legally allowed to be in Canada for 6 months out of a year without a visa so I can't see why they would hold him back just because he is marrying you. I think you two will be fine to be honest. Congratulations on your engagement!

JerseyGirl1985

Sep 26, 2014
Also, I didn't apply for my PR until right after our wedding and when I went through customs as an American I explained that I planned to do so since I married a Canadian and again, I had no issues at all. I think it depends on the officer you speak to, some are nicer than others but generally I have had no problems every time I've had to travel.