+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GET MARRIED AFTER LANDING

8023ber

Star Member
Feb 9, 2016
good morning All,

just having a quick question please.

I just got my ppr last month and planing to landing this weekend.

my BF and i is planing get married so I can help him get PR as well, however, we are not sure if we should apply for Sponsor immigration after I landing or before?

anyone had the same situation? any advise please?

thank you very much in advance.!!

Ber

johnybegood

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Na
Category........
Visa Office......
Ndvo
NOC Code......
Na
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 18,2016
Doc's Request.
aor 1 may 11
Nomination.....
Sponsor approval 03/jun/16
AOR Received.
in process on 09 june 2016
IELTS Request
sent along with apln
File Transfer...
started processing june 13
Med's Request
Up front done in January 2016
Med's Done....
Background check 26 sept 2016
Interview........
Dm 29 sept 2016
Passport Req..
1st oct 2016
VISA ISSUED...
3 oct 2016
LANDED..........
16 oct 2016
8023ber said:
good morning All,

my BF and i is planing get married so I can help him get PR as well, however, we are not sure if we should apply for Sponsor immigration after I landing or before?

Ber
Where your bf in canada? Then marry after landing
If outside canada i dont know how that works...marry before landing
In both cases you can sponsor him if he is not a Canadian

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
8023ber said:
good morning All,

Ber
If you marry after landing, then you will sponsor him for PR under a new family class application.

If you marry before landing, then your current COPR will become invalid. You'll need to add your spouse to current application, have him do medicals and police checks, and wait till you get new approvals and COPRs and you will both land together.

Have you actually lived with your boyfriend for 12 months at any time in the past?

8023ber

Star Member
Feb 9, 2016
johnybegood said:
Where your bf in canada? Then marry after landing
If outside canada i dont know how that works...marry before landing
In both cases you can sponsor him if he is not a Canadian
thank you for your reply :)

he is currently live in Canada.

How long I have to wait after landing so I can sponsor him?

::) ::)

8023ber

Star Member
Feb 9, 2016
Rob_TO said:
If you marry after landing, then you will sponsor him for PR under a new family class application.

If you marry before landing, then your current COPR will become invalid. You'll need to add your spouse to current application, have him do medicals and police checks, and wait till you get new approvals and COPRs and you will both land together.

Have you actually lived with your boyfriend for 12 months at any time in the past?

thanks a lot for the reply.

your right, and that is the reason i am not sure if I should add him now as I will under risk of lost my PPR, if that happened then both of us will have trouble stay in Canada going forward.

No, we have not lived together for more than 12 months.

in addition, after I landed, if I have moved do I need to inform them the change?

thanks

ber

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
8023ber said:
thanks a lot for the reply.

your right, and that is the reason i am not sure if I should add him now as I will under risk of lost my PPR, if that happened then both of us will have trouble stay in Canada going forward.

No, we have not lived together for more than 12 months.

in addition, after I landed, if I have moved do I need to inform them the change?

thanks

ber
After you land, you no longer need to inform them about anything since you will already be a PR. Of course upon landing you need to provide an address where they will mail your PR card to, so if you do move just make sure your mail is forwarded to new address through Canada Post.

After you land as a PR, you can then marry and apply for your spouse's PR under family class as soon as you want. There is no waiting period.

8023ber

Star Member
Feb 9, 2016
Rob_TO said:
After you land, you no longer need to inform them about anything since you will already be a PR. Of course upon landing you need to provide an address where they will mail your PR card to, so if you do move just make sure your mail is forwarded to new address through Canada Post.

After you land as a PR, you can then marry and apply for your spouse's PR under family class as soon as you want. There is no waiting period.

:D :D :D :D

appreciated!!

+1 :) :)

prachinshah

Apr 29, 2016
Hi. My husband and I got married in 2014 when he had his COPR. He added my name under his application and i got medical in 4 months. On Toronto airport in feb 2015, when he was going back to canada,he was asked about all my details. The officer confirmed all my details are correct and clearly told everything looks good on the application.He asked my husband if he would like to land as a PR? He ofcourse said if there is no problem, then yes. Since my medical was expiring, I got a remedical in feb 2016 and got it done successfully. Now before 2 months, my husband got an email from CIC: Your file has been automatically withdrawn. On asking the reason, they said it got withdrawn as my husband landed as immigrant. They also said a new application has to be filed under FC1. How shocking?! Can anyone please advise what to do in this matter? Can the file be reopen?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
prachinshah said:
Hi. My husband and I got married in 2014 when he had his COPR. He added my name under his application and i got medical in 4 months. On Toronto airport in feb 2015, when he was going back to canada,he was asked about all my details. The officer confirmed all my details are correct and clearly told everything looks good on the application.He asked my husband if he would like to land as a PR? He ofcourse said if there is no problem, then yes. Since my medical was expiring, I got a remedical in feb 2016 and got it done successfully. Now before 2 months, my husband got an email from CIC: Your file has been automatically withdrawn. On asking the reason, they said it got withdrawn as my husband landed as immigrant. They also said a new application has to be filed under FC1. How shocking?! Can anyone please advise what to do in this matter? Can the file be reopen?
Your situation is complex and confusing. This is a case where you should consult a lawyer.

Your husband should not have used his COPR to land since it was issued to him when he was single. He needed to return the COPR without using it, wait for your paperwork to be processed and then wait for a new COPR to be issued to both of you before landing.

Normally what your husband did (landing with a COPR that was issued to him as a single individual) means that he can never sponsor you.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Agreed. You definitely need an immigration lawyer. Because your husband did declare you, both before he landed and at landing, and you had the medical, there is a chance he can still sponsor you.

Shah_140

May 27, 2019
Hi All,

I have a quick question regarding leaving Canada and getting married after flagpole landing.
I got my PPR and sent my passport for stamping and getting COPR which i will get by Oct 21st. My marriage is planned on Nov 19th for which i have to leave Canada on Nov 14th. I am planning to do a soft landing /flagpole at Niagara border on 22nd or 23rd Oct 2019.

I need some clarification and guidance on the below points:
1. Can i get married after landing? Will there be any issue with my PR status as at the time of landing i am single and while i get PR card i will be married?

2. Can i go to India and get married after doing a soft landing and without PR card in hand as i might not get the PR card by 14th Nov (the day i m leaving for India)?

3. I know i must have PR card or PRTD while returning back to Canada. Do they ask for PR card at the time of leaving Canada too?

4. What is the maximum processing time of getting my PR card at my Canadian address after doing a successful landing?

5. As the current processing time is 13 to 17 days, I will have 22 days between landing and leaving Canada. Shall i postpone my marriage (very tough situation for my in laws to cancel all the bookings and all), cancel my flight and get the PR card in hand before leaving Canada? Or i can do landing, go to India get married and ask my uncle (in Canada) to send my PR card to my Indian address and come back to Canada with my PR card.

Please suggest i am very confused as my family just asking me to cancel my marriage get the PR card and then go to India for marriage on a later date.

Thanks

Last edited: