+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Get An OWP as a Recent Marriage

ElMexi

Aug 21, 2020
Hi guys, question here. If I get a job offer in a skilled job, and then, before I apply for my work permit, I marry my girlfriend to bring her with me and apply both for the work permit outside of Canada (we have a 8 years relationship since high school but we haven't lived together, so It does not count as a common-law relationship).

Based on your experience, do you think that as we are going to be recently married and haven't lived together before getting married is going to affect her application for an open work permit? we have border pass for some of our vacations, my car is insured in my name and hers, and we have proof of letters and photos of our relationship.

In case that you think it would result as a refused, how long you guys think is enough for them to see a marriage as legit?

Thank you very much for your help!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Do you qualify for a work permit?

Spousal work permits are not guaranteed. They want to see evidence of a genuine relationship.

Reactions: ElMexi

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys, question here. If I get a job offer in a skilled job, and then, before I apply for my work permit, I marry my girlfriend to bring her with me and apply both for the work permit outside of Canada (we have a 8 years relationship since high school but we haven't lived together, so It does not count as a common-law relationship).

Based on your experience, do you think that as we are going to be recently married and haven't lived together before getting married is going to affect her application for an open work permit? we have border pass for some of our vacations, my car is insured in my name and hers, and we have proof of letters and photos of our relationship.

In case that you think it would result as a refused, how long you guys think is enough for them to see a marriage as legit?

Thank you very much for your help!
Sounds like you have quite a lot of proof when it comea to your relationship. The bigger issue is that due to travel restrictions your sppuse does not qualify to travel with you to Canada unless she gets special permission. SOWP is taking many months at this point as well.

Reactions: ElMexi

ElMexi

Aug 21, 2020
Do you qualify for a work permit?

Spousal work permits are not guaranteed. They want to see evidence of a genuine relationship.
Yes I do, I'm a software engineer with experience. But, I was asking that before I start my research for a skilled job (Software engineer is a NOC A), as I'm Mexican it's easier for us to apply for a job because we don't need the LMIA (NAFTA agreement).

I was planning to started my research to get a job, but I was hesitating for the fact that I'm not sure if I could get my girlfriend with me for the reasons explained above (we are not married, and we were planning that once I get a job offer we will marry and then apply for the work permits, so that would be a recent marriage application)

Sounds like you have quite a lot of proof when it comea to your relationship. The bigger issue is that due to travel restrictions your sppuse does not qualify to travel with you to Canada unless she gets special permission. SOWP is taking many months at this point as well.
Oh that's something that I didn't knew, now I see a lot of yellow messages in Canada.ca lol
So in your opinion, out of the COVID situation there's a chance that our plan works? we are sort of scary about getting married, but rn we are talking about living together to show more evidence about a strong relationship when the COVID thing it's over, once I get a job offer we are gonna marry and then apply for the work permit.

Thank you very much for your answers guys!

PS: I miss so much the forums in general, it's been a long time since I was in one, feels good that there's a lot of active communities! :)!

Last edited: