+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

get a work permit from a company+common law sponsorship at the same time?

yogini

Star Member
Sep 26, 2010
Hi,

As my bf and I are applying for common-law sponsorship, he told me today that a cleaning company could help me to get a work permit, and it would be easier than applying for common-law sponsorship......
I just wonder could i still apply for common-law sponsorship at the same time working with a work permit? just sounds like too good to be true..

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Absolutely, you can! But wait until you have the WP in hand before getting too excited over it.

yogini

Star Member
Sep 26, 2010
Actually I am not too excited about it because..... I dont really want to be a cleaner.
You could say it is my ego, but as a 32 years old with a Bachelor Degree in Arts.... I feel like I could do so much better than that.
Another thing that concerns me is that, why would that be possible to apply for a work permit for a foreigner as a cleaner?? So local Canadians do not want to be as cleaners and I wouldnt take away job opportunities for Canadians? Just being sketical....

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
yogini said:
Actually I am not too excited about it because..... I dont really want to be a cleaner.
You could say it is my ego, but as a 32 years old with a Bachelor Degree in Arts.... I feel like I could do so much better than that.
Another thing that concerns me is that, why would that be possible to apply for a work permit for a foreigner as a cleaner?? So local Canadians do not want to be as cleaners and I wouldnt take away job opportunities for Canadians? Just being sketical....
You pretty much nailed it. Some jobs - which some people find undesirable - such as cleaner and fast food worker are mainly staffed by foreign workers.

I don't blame you. I have the qualifications to work as a live-in caregiver, but after I learned about the program, I don't want to! (Not to mention my husband didn't like the idea of me living away during the week.) Big kudos to the hard working ladies that do that job. I'm impressed by their resolve! But not for me. Maybe ten years ago, but my work experience now has led me to a place where I need to do something else. Maybe it's my ego too? :-\

Why do you need the work permit? Are you trying to extend your stay in Canada? Do you need the income? Are you bored? (I read some of your other posts to try to get some ideas.)

If you need the money... then I would say take the job regardless. Then you also can gave a job reference in Canada later.

If you need to extend your stay in Canada... same as above, although you could probably get a visitor's record to stay longer. (I think HK gets them instead of visas.)

Keep in mind, the IO will want to know your resume. S/he might feel your job experience and education are a mismatch to the job and reject the work permit! :eek: I would say you're vastly overqualified, so keep that in mind too.

If your boyfriend is trying to keep you active during this time, consider taking short classes or certificate programs at your local college or university. If you take continuing education classes that are less than six months in duration OR online: A) You pay regular fees, no international for CE classes; and B) you don't need a study permit.

I did that option, although I hated the classes.... ;) It can help you get some Canadian Education too, which will be favorable with employers. I plan on getting a certificate or two in Canada just to have it on my resume so it shows I'm familiar with Canadian laws for the workplace.

yogini

Star Member
Sep 26, 2010
It is a long story. I am bored, but i keep myself busy. Basically my bf was talking to his friend, and his friend's friend knows someone who could help me to get a work permit as a cleaner, he was telling my bf that it would be easier than applying for common-law..... (in terms of procedure and waiting time i guess...)

Do i need money? Yes and No. My bf is supporting me right now, but i would love to work and earn money legally to support myself. But then, like i said, i really dont want to be a cleaner.... :(

I heard that cleaning makes good money (kind of)..... so....

And some of you might wonder why dont we apply for Inland for the OWP, i guess we just want to be safe, we still want to have rights of appeal for Outland application

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
First off, Inland is much less likely to be rejected. The rejection rate is about half that of Outland. Both are small rejection rates.

Second, cleaner won't qualify you for immigration in most places anyway.

Third, you don't have the right to appeal persay, but there is a way to challenge the ruling. What it is, I don't remember, but I have read about it on the forum before.

yogini

Star Member
Sep 26, 2010
Thank you for the insights.
Well, i never knew that Inland is less likely to be rejected....

What i mean is, i could work as a cleaner when i have my work permit from the cleaning company; at the same time, file the common-law application... So i could still earn money while waiting for my Outland PR application.... so "cleaner wont qualify you for immigration" does not mean much to me because i would still file the family class sponsorship?? does it make sense? Or am i going crazy? lol

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Sorry, I got confused. The WP would not have any bearing on your PR application as a CL spouse.

Some people on the forum try to go the work permit route for PR instead of spouse for whatever reason. (It's faster than some VOs for family class.)

With an Inland application, you're living together. That's pretty good proof for a genuine relationship. Just keep in mind you aren't supposed to leave Canada during an Inland sponsorship.

I dislike name dropping, but if you need information about challenging an Inland application because it's happened to you, I will PM you a name. But for now, lets assume the best and not worry about that!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
http://www.visaplace.com/blog-immigration-law/immigration-tidbits-from-lawyer-michael-niren/my-sponsorship-application-was-refused-what-can-i-do/