+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Germany to Canada (BC)-closing ldr

M+T

May 18, 2018
Hi everyone. Im from germany and in a long distance relationship with a canadian from vancouver island who is currently in the uk. We‘re in it for 2 years now and everything went great until a couple days ago. Our plan was living in germany together cause that was the most promising for our future. Shes really homesick now though and realized that living in germany without her parents wont be an option. And im feeling helpless cause i cant see a secured future in canada. Im working in a german tax advisory which is no good in canada. I have big opportunities here and pn a good path careerwise but i dont wanna lose her. So do i even have a chance to move to canada and get a good job that gives us both stability and allows me to keep seeing my family here often enough? Im just not the person who can wuit everything and jump into the blue hoping a good opportunity awaits. But i cant end this without trying everything so maybe someone here has any advice?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok here are the options:
1. If you decide to go with her to Canada, you would either have to live together at least one year (long distance relationship is not enough) or you would have to marry her and then she would have to sponsor you. Alternatively you can try to qualify as an economic immigrant. And yes it is obvious that you will have to restart your career (unless you will be able to work on home office).
2. If she decides that she wants to start a long term relationship she can come to Germany to live with you (it just happens that most people will sooner or later have to live without their parents as they tend to die sooner than their children.). If I am not mistaken, then you would most like need to marry her and then there is a bonus that is Germany specific. As an immigrating spouse she would have to show a basic german language knowledge certificate.

Another option that you might have is following:
If you are less than 35 years old and you can afford to jump out of your profession for 1 year, you can use working holiday program. That way you can be with her without any ties and see how it will go. (and this might be actually a smart idea, as it seems your partner is not yet ready to for the full responsibility that marriage or common law partnership requires).

good luck

M+T

May 18, 2018
Thanks for your answer! She is just a family person and i cant tell her that her parents will die one day, i hope for her that they will live long! She just cant imagine to be so far away from home and family.

Im not sure how the sponsorship works but she has no savings whatsoever, its me who has that! Also living together somewhere outside of canada before moving there wont be possible either. So the holiday program sounds like a good option but what can i work then? Do i need any work experience since what ice worked so far wont apply? Is my german bachelor of business administration any good? And whats the economic immigrant?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your answer! She is just a family person and i cant tell her that her parents will die one day, i hope for her that they will live long! She just cant imagine to be so far away from home and family.

Im not sure how the sponsorship works but she has no savings whatsoever, its me who has that! Also living together somewhere outside of canada before moving there wont be possible either. So the holiday program sounds like a good option but what can i work then? Do i need any work experience since what ice worked so far wont apply? Is my german bachelor of business administration any good? And whats the economic immigrant?
Ok Working holiday - you can only use it once. It is a lottery and you need to make profile in the system and then wait if they invite you to put down application. If yes then you have certain time to do so (check more using google or check temporary workers section). In this program every country has its own quota. And the purpose of this program is to get you an opened work permit for up to 1 year.
So that will give you option to work.
Just a warning do not think that you will get any office job at all (yes it is possible but very rare). Why?
Your work permit will be valid 1 year only (max) without possibility to extend it (but you can get a closed work permit after that). And somehow most companies are really reluctant to go for the closed work permit.
So take it more like that you will get some more manual job (construction, warehouse, bar or restaurant). But then again you will travel a bit and see new places
and most importantly you will see how that relationship will or will not function.

good luck

Feb 3, 2020
I'm in a very similar situation, my boyfriend however has already used his 1 year work permit. At first he was going to go to school here, but after seeing how ridiculous international student fees are, decided that wasn't the best option. Other than getting married, are there any other potential solutions?

Thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm in a very similar situation, my boyfriend however has already used his 1 year work permit. At first he was going to go to school here, but after seeing how ridiculous international student fees are, decided that wasn't the best option. Other than getting married, are there any other potential solutions?

Thanks in advance!
Assuming you are Canadian, once you are married, you can sponsor him for PR. If you sponsor him through the inland process, you can include an open work permit with the inland application and the open work permit will be approved approximately four months after the complete application package is received.

Make sure he stays in status or the open work permit won't be possible.