+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

General Question-Please clarify?!? (Immigrating to Canada)

Barber1

Jun 7, 2014
Hi,

I have a very simple question that I would like someone to explain to me how this works?

*How do people just move to Canada as landed immigrants with Permanent Residence status without ever having to go through any type of Temporary Status or programs.I moved to Canada as temporary foreign worker and is now going through the ropes of becoming a permanent residence but everytime I talk to people and ask how they moved here they all tell me that they landed as permanent residence and I'm going how when I have to go through all of this stuff (2 years on work permit,lmos,applications stress etc..lol)!!!???

Ofcourse,there are some ways people move here permanently through stuff like refugee programs or other special programs but speaking in general for like people who just decided one day they wanted to move to Canada,simply submitted and application and got accepted as PR.

I would appreciation your expertise

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are other ways for immigrating Canada such as family sponsorships. Read the cic website for details.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Most of Canada's immigration programs allow you to apply and become a PR without first having temporary status in Canada: Family Class, Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Trade, Quebec Skilled Worker, all of the Provincial Nominee programs (I believe).

ross lee

May 20, 2014
hello barber1,

As previous posters mentioned, there are different PR programs to which foreigners can apply from outside Canada. Some of them have visited Canada at some point and some have not but they've done their research and heard about the quality of living. One advantage I see with landing in Canada with a PR already obtained is that you're able to work (pay taxes), study, buy a home, etc., it's just a matter of adapting and getting settled. Also, you can bring your savings from your home country which will help you if you cannot find a job soon enough.

The other way is coming to Canada originally as a worker or student, enjoying living here and applying for PR inland to one of the programs to which you're confident you are eligible for and have chances of being accepted. While waiting for PR, you must comply with the conditions in your work/study permit. If you're a student, you better have the funds to pay for school while waiting patiently for PR. Other than having the money, I think this option is good because you're gaining either Canadian work experience or an education which looks better in your profile. It shows you're able to adapt to Canada.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ross lee said:
One advantage I see with landing in Canada with a PR already obtained is that you're able to work (pay taxes), study, buy a home, etc.,
Do you know that a person with temporary status can buy a home in Canada too?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
steaky said:
Do you know that a person with temporary status can buy a home in Canada too?
I think he means getting a mortgage would be next to impossible if you're just here on temporary status.

ross lee

May 20, 2014
hi all,

Actually that's a good point (buying a home if you have temporary status?); I have to agree with Rob_to.

I knew someone with a temporary status who tried to buy a home in Canada, this person had a lot of money in a bank outside of Canada but that was not enough for the banks to approve a mortgage because the money was not in Canada and this person did not have an income (a job in Canada). This person ended up going to a mortgage brokerage firm and the company asked for 40% down-pmt so no purchase was made at the end.

I've heard that some foreigners have bought properties in Canada but I'm not clear about the arrangement with the bank. I would assume that if it's possible, the foreigner would have to either put a huge % of down-payment or have lots of money and assets already in Canada that the bank can use as "collateral" in order for the bank to take that risk.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ross lee said:
hi all,

Actually that's a good point (buying a home if you have temporary status?); I have to agree with Rob_to.

I knew someone with a temporary status who tried to buy a home in Canada, this person had a lot of money in a bank outside of Canada but that was not enough for the banks to approve a mortgage because the money was not in Canada and this person did not have an income (a job in Canada). This person ended up going to a mortgage brokerage firm and the company asked for 40% down-pmt so no purchase was made at the end.

I've heard that some foreigners have bought properties in Canada but I'm not clear about the arrangement with the bank. I would assume that if it's possible, the foreigner would have to either put a huge % of down-payment or have lots of money and assets already in Canada that the bank can use as "collateral" in order for the bank to take that risk.
I don't think Canadian banks are the only source of mortgage facility providers for foreigners in buying a home in Canada. For example, foreigners can make arrangement with their home country banks to provide the necessary mortgage funds to complete the Canadian home purchase.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to add, in recalling Concord Adex held a housing fair in a Hong Kong hotel last month promoting its newest residential project in downtown Toronto, that foreigners might neither require to put a huge % of downpayment or to have lots of money and assets already in Canada. Buyers can use their money or assets already in Hong Kong or elsewhere or use Canadian/foreign bank mortgage offers to finance their home buying.

Barber1

Jun 7, 2014
Another question:If a family comes to Canada as temporary residents and their children graduate out of high school while on that status will their children be eligible for PR since they have already mixed in Canadian society and meet the necessary requirements to live and have already obtained a Canadian secondary school HIGH school diploma?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Barber1 said:
Another question:If a family comes to Canada as temporary residents and their children graduate out of high school while on that status will their children be eligible for PR since they have already mixed in Canadian society and meet the necessary requirements to live and have already obtained a Canadian secondary school HIGH school diploma?
No, their children won't qualify for pr by virtue of having finished high school in Canada.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Barber1 said:
There is no automatic qualification for PR....

In all cases you have to apply under the relevant scheme and be accepted as an immigrant

HS graduation from Canada does not qualify for for any immigration benefits by itself (except you can apply for a SP within Canada for Uni under the new rules)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no automatic qualification for PR based on having spent a long time in Canada on temporary status (for example doing all of the elementary and high school). A child of parents with temporary status will get PR only if the parents find a way to apply for the family or the child will grow up and have to find a way to apply themselves.

Having been on a study permit after high school and having done a 2 year course at a Canadian college can get the person a 3 year open work permit which they can then use in order to qualify to apply for PR. A 1 year course could result in the same but get you only a 1 year work permit so a bit of luck may be needed in order to get a solid job and having the time to apply for immigration and bridging the work permit before it expires.