+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GCMS notes of my SP refusal | Seek Advice

STELLARRISE

Dec 10, 2020
Dear Forum members,

I have been refused the study permit (1st try) for fall 2021 session in NSCC (SDS / Cyber security 2 years program).

I do have some issues with my application and for starters I have a 25 years of study gap. Anyway, it did not come back as a surprise. I had ordered the GCSM notes before I made the next try and I am providing them below. Just for full disclosure I am well travelled and my 5 years multiple Canadian Visit visa expired Last April 2021. My entire family has USA visa stamped valid until 2024 so this is not a case of me planning not to come back.

Please let me know if I should defer (for fall 2022) or make another application if it is worth it in my case with some adjustments in my SOP and evidence.

Seeking study permit to study cyber security at Nova Scotia Community College.

PA obtained Economics in 1996 and has been working as a CTO since Jan 2020 in Karachi; prior to that worked in UAE from DEC 2008 to DEC 2019 as System Engineering.

I am not satisfied that the applicant would leave Canada at the end of their stay as a temporary resident, I note that

- the client is married or has dependents or status to have close family ties in their home country, but is not sufficiently established

-Weak professional and economic tied to the country of origin

- Study plan is vague and general; limited explanation provided as to prospects. Last study in 1996, a study gap of 25 years. Applicants’ study plan is not well developed.

Taking into consideration all factors including the program of study and its link to current employment and future plan, previous education, age and study gap, I am not satisfied that the intended studies make sense given the significant cost and the applicant's previous study/work history. Benefit to applicant's career is not established.

For the reasons above, I have refused this application.

Reactions: RumezaJ

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Dear Forum members,

I have been refused the study permit (1st try) for fall 2021 session in NSCC (SDS / Cyber security 2 years program).

I do have some issues with my application and for starters I have a 25 years of study gap. Anyway, it did not come back as a surprise. I had ordered the GCSM notes before I made the next try and I am providing them below. Just for full disclosure I am well travelled and my 5 years multiple Canadian Visit visa expired Last April 2021. My entire family has USA visa stamped valid until 2024 so this is not a case of me planning not to come back.

Please let me know if I should defer (for fall 2022) or make another application if it is worth it in my case with some adjustments in my SOP and evidence.

PA obtained Economics in 1996 and has been working as a CTO since Jan 2020 in Karachi; prior to that worked in UAE from DEC 2008 to DEC 2019 as System Engineering.

I am not satisfied that the applicant would leave Canada at the end of their stay as a temporary resident, I note that

- the client is married or has dependents or status to have close family ties in their home country, but is not sufficiently established

- Study plan is vague and general; limited explanation provided as to prospects. Last study in 1996, a study gap of 25 years. Applicants’ study plan is not well developed.

Taking into consideration all factors including the program of study and its link to current employment and future plan, previous education, age and study gap, I am not satisfied that the intended studies make sense given the significant cost and the applicant's previous study/work history. Benefit to applicant's career is not established.

I agree with VO assessment after reading your profile. It appear you did not provide detailed prospect when you graduate from NSCC, the fact that you are late 40 or 50 I guess. Secondly, from what I see choice of College is another issue. Im not trying to sound negative, but after 25 years of gap, going to Community College which are perceived to offer options to community to those who cannot make it to University is another problem. PA has Economics Major since 1996, but he was System Engineer and CTO, somewhere im lost from Economics to Engineering Professional.

Past visas including the one you mentioned from family ( USA visas ) is not the sole reasons to meet "not leaving after end of studies" requirement. Visitors visa criteria are not exactly the same as Study Permit. they will look more on your profile after meeting other conditions. So to answer your question, you can defer to fall 2022 and reapply. reapplying now expecting to get decisions before fall start this year is impossible turnaround.

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
Dear Forum members,

Not surprising. Very clear cut you're trying to use a study permit to get into Canada to stay, not to study.

STELLARRISE

Dec 10, 2020
Not surprising. Very clear cut you're trying to use a study permit to get into Canada to stay, not to study.
I respect your opinion but if you noticed that I mentioned me and my family are well travelled and we can go and settle in USA in case we were trying to move. There is a lot of explanation missing here which I gave in my SOP.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I respect your opinion but if you noticed that I mentioned me and my family are well travelled and we can go and settle in USA in case we were trying to move. There is a lot of explanation missing here which I gave in my SOP.
The fact that you have US visa doesn't mean anything. I don't buy it and clearly the VO doesn't either. You can't settle in the US with a visiting visa and US does not have the same pathway to PR as Canada does through study. I have multiple entry visas to US and other countries as well, but my long-term plan is to go and settle in Canada.

Why, as a CTO, do you want to go study at a community college all the way in Canada? What was the motivation to select a certificate program and a community college in NS? That is what you haven't clearly convinced the VO about.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
The only way you could settle in the States is through family sponsorship, DV lottery, Employment Sponsorship or Select Military service. Other than that, B1/B2 Visas you have doesn't mean you could settle in the States, and use that against VO decision. Ofcouse your extensive travelling record gives you added points when you apply but doesn't override all other consideration.

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
Your travels to USA is irrelevant to your application, doesn't prove anything about your purpose of visit. See that the VO didn't mention anything about your travel in your gcms notes.

STELLARRISE

Dec 10, 2020
Thanks all and it is always good to have someone else provide their honest review.

A gap in study is the elephant in the room and hence I thought my only course will be to get into a diploma program and step up from there (as I did mention in my SOP). My CTO status (Jan 2020 onwards) is with a startup so not a job in the stricter sense. I have been into regular employment for 20 years though (and travelled to many places around the world). After my bachelors in Economics, I did a one year Oracle analyst program and got lucky (with some talent I guess) that I travelled up the IT ladder and made good money but in the process never pursued further education. I guess now is the time for me to do it.

Anyway, I guess I will withdraw my SDS application and seek admission in a proper university in a Bachelors program that is more suited to my profile next fall 2022.

Please let me know if you concur or have any other tip for me.

Truly appreciate all of your help my friends and good luck to you all.

itsmecan

Jun 10, 2021
I know this is a public forum & each have rights to express their opinion, but highly suggest you refrain from such comments unless OP personally told you about plans to quit college and illegally reside in Canada. This is not helpful in any way!

agro

Jun 26, 2021
Sorry this is little irreverent but can you tell me when did you apply for your notes? I am also waiting..

STELLARRISE

Dec 10, 2020
I know this is a public forum & each have rights to express their opinion, but highly suggest you refrain from such comments unless OP personally told you about plans to quit college and illegally reside in Canada. This is not helpful in any way!
Not that it affected me in any negative way but I can imagine someone very junior and right off the school will take it very personally and get demoralized quickly.

Reactions: Rationalwarrior

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
Kindly refrain from lying to the VO! If you want to settle down in Canada, there are other means like Express Entry and PNP programs. A study permit is not for permanent residence, only temporary residence. The VO will evaluate on whether you will comply and leave at the end of your temporary stay!

Reactions: Aesopzai

STELLARRISE

Dec 10, 2020
Kindly refrain from lying to the VO! If you want to settle down in Canada, there are other means like Express Entry and PNP programs. A study permit is not for permanent residence, only temporary residence. The VO will evaluate on whether you will comply and leave at the end of your temporary stay!
Take a cold shower dude ;) and please do not take it personally.

itsmecan

Jun 10, 2021
Lol, you need help buddy. Get well soon.