+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gay marriage in another country recognized in Canada vs conjugal partner

coaster

Aug 19, 2014
OK. I am totally lost and trying to figure this out. Originally I was going to have my partner (from the Philippines) just visit me here (in Canada) next May. I've already visited him once in the Philippines and have another trip to visit him there organized for Dec. However, I had NO idea it was so complicated just to have him VISIT me in Canada. He doesn't make much money and doesn't own property, so Ive been told even with me sponsoring him or giving him money to put in his bank account.....the Visitor Visa will be rejected. So Im now looking at other options.

Seems like almost every country needs a special Visa for a PH citizen to visit. However, I was wondering if we managed to get to another country that performs Gay Marriages, and we get married there, would that be recognized in Canada as us being legally married and I could then sponsor him as a spouse?

Alternatively, I read about Conjugal Partner, and since we have been dating for almost a year and there are 'immigration barriers', (because of his lack of money/property for a Visitor Visa), could I sponsor him this way?? The only down side I can see to this course is.....how do I prove interdependence. We talk through Viber/Skype every day. What other ways can I prove interdependence?? I was thinking of opening a joint bank account, but not sure how I could do that in both our names, with him in the Philippines and me in Canada.

I have a steady job that pays reasonably well, but I certainly don't have tons of money to spend. I can support both of us if I can get him here, so that won't be a problem. However, I don't have thousands of dollars to just throw away on various applications/Visa's.

Please can anyone give me ideas or suggestions?? We're both so frustrated at trying to figure out how to make this work.

Thank you in advance!

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
Conjugal is very hard to prove, but I think you guys stand a chance because your boyfriend is from th Philipines, which I don't think is very open to gay relationships.
If you had the option to go to a different country that had legal gay marriage, it might make your life a bit easier, but if I recall correctly, it could be a problem for your spouse if it got out when he was back in the Philipines.

Do you offer financial support to your boyfriend at all? Do you send him money? That could show dependence.

dozel

Star Member
Feb 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa --> LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May-30-2013
AOR Received.
June-03-2013
Med's Done....
March-26-2013
Interview........
August-12-2014 (passed)
Passport Req..
September-24-2014
VISA ISSUED...
October-03-2014
coaster said:
OK. I am totally lost and trying to figure this out. Originally I was going to have my partner (from the Philippines) just visit me here (in Canada) next May. I've already visited him once in the Philippines and have another trip to visit him there organized for Dec. However, I had NO idea it was so complicated just to have him VISIT me in Canada. He doesn't make much money and doesn't own property, so Ive been told even with me sponsoring him or giving him money to put in his bank account.....the Visitor Visa will be rejected. So Im now looking at other options.

Seems like almost every country needs a special Visa for a PH citizen to visit. However, I was wondering if we managed to get to another country that performs Gay Marriages, and we get married there, would that be recognized in Canada as us being legally married and I could then sponsor him as a spouse?

Alternatively, I read about Conjugal Partner, and since we have been dating for almost a year and there are 'immigration barriers', (because of his lack of money/property for a Visitor Visa), could I sponsor him this way?? The only down side I can see to this course is.....how do I prove interdependence. We talk through Viber/Skype every day. What other ways can I prove interdependence?? I was thinking of opening a joint bank account, but not sure how I could do that in both our names, with him in the Philippines and me in Canada.

I have a steady job that pays reasonably well, but I certainly don't have tons of money to spend. I can support both of us if I can get him here, so that won't be a problem. However, I don't have thousands of dollars to just throw away on various applications/Visa's.

Please can anyone give me ideas or suggestions?? We're both so frustrated at trying to figure out how to make this work.

Thank you in advance!
I'm in a same sex relationship. We got married in NY state, U.S. Canada immigration office does recognize same sex marriage that is performed in other countries, as long as those countries legally recognize same sex marriage.

I encourage you two meet in person several times before getting married. Sometimes visa officers value the dating time before marriage.

dozel

Star Member
Feb 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa --> LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May-30-2013
AOR Received.
June-03-2013
Med's Done....
March-26-2013
Interview........
August-12-2014 (passed)
Passport Req..
September-24-2014
VISA ISSUED...
October-03-2014
coaster said:

Thank you in advance!
btw. I was rejected for a visitor visa this March as well. I already knew it would be rejected, but I applied anyway. The fund was sufficient from my spouse, but they check the box where says "not sufficient fund for the period of stay" anyway. So to establish some strong ties in your home country or the country of residence is very important. For instance, stable full time job, own a house or property etc... I know it's hard to do, but that's the basic requirement for a visitor visa.

dozel

Star Member
Feb 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa --> LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May-30-2013
AOR Received.
June-03-2013
Med's Done....
March-26-2013
Interview........
August-12-2014 (passed)
Passport Req..
September-24-2014
VISA ISSUED...
October-03-2014
coaster said:

Thank you in advance!
More over, Tink23 is right. Conjugal is very hard to get approved unless you have a very very very strong argument that support your idea of not to get married. Philippines doesn't recognize same sex marriage and your partner wasn't allow to visit you in Canada, so that you two can't get married. It maybe a ok argument. But they may challenge you from some other aspects.

I encourage you to find a lawyer or an immigration consultant in Canada like we did. Not 100% helpful, but at least they have experience.

coaster

Aug 19, 2014
It wont really be a problem for him back in the PH (if we marry) as his family and friends know about us and are supportive (and the family and friends have already met me too). If you count the meeting each other and getting married, we would have seen each other three times total.

I have sent him money yes, but that was for his plane ticket to meet me in Manila (as he lives in another city in the PH). However, I wouldn't say I support him, as he does earn enough money to support himself, just not much extra to put in a bank account.

As for me personally, I do own a condo (mortgage) and have been at my job for over 15 years. I make about 43K a year, which Im assuming would be enough to prove I can support us both.

Do you know anything about joint bank accounts in this situation or is that even a good idea??

As for a lawyer or immigration consultant, I was going to look into those as well, but wanted a better idea and have some sort of plan(s) in place before I did.

Any other suggestions??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You definitely need to try applying for the TRV if you haven't already. There's always some chance you may be approved - which would allow you to get married in Canada. If you're refused, this will help to support your conjugal application.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
coaster said:
It wont really be a problem for him back in the PH (if we marry) as his family and friends know about us and are supportive (and the family and friends have already met me too). If you count the meeting each other and getting married, we would have seen each other three times total.

I have sent him money yes, but that was for his plane ticket to meet me in Manila (as he lives in another city in the PH). However, I wouldn't say I support him, as he does earn enough money to support himself, just not much extra to put in a bank account.

As for me personally, I do own a condo (mortgage) and have been at my job for over 15 years. I make about 43K a year, which Im assuming would be enough to prove I can support us both.

Do you know anything about joint bank accounts in this situation or is that even a good idea??

As for a lawyer or immigration consultant, I was going to look into those as well, but wanted a better idea and have some sort of plan(s) in place before I did.

Any other suggestions??
Joint bank account is good. If you have life insurance, list your spouse as the recipient and vice versa.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
coaster said:
Alternatively, I read about Conjugal Partner, and since we have been dating for almost a year and there are 'immigration barriers', (because of his lack of money/property for a Visitor Visa), could I sponsor him this way??
Note that to qualify as conjugal you need to be in the conjugal relationship for minimum of 1 full year. So when putting proofs of relationship together, try to get as many that go back to the beginning of your relationship.

In general, majority of conjugal apps come from Philippines for same-sex couples or those that can't get divorces, since both are illegal there. So if you show proof of a rejected TRV to Canada, I would say you have a good chance for approval if you put a strong application together.

coaster

Aug 19, 2014
Ok, here I am a 2 years later and in the process of doing my conjugal visa. Ive been reading in the forms that they like to have joint bank accounts, etc. I looked into this when I was in my partners country (Philippines), as well as Canada... and both countries seemed to say we couldnt. So how can they expect us to have joint accounts?? Any ideas on how I can do this??

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
For conjugal, you have to show that your relationship is like a marriage, but that you cannot get married for some reason. So joint finances is one type of proof they will be looking for. Actually go to several banks in Canada and try to open a joint account. If they refuse, ask them to put this in writing. That way you can show that you tried to open a joint account but could not.

Joint finances can be shown in other ways. If you have been sending him money, you can use this to prove interdependence.

acfajardo

Star Member
Apr 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2015
AOR Received.
15-01-2016 SA: 25-01-2016 AOR2 Email: 17-03-2016
File Transfer...
02-02-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
10-11-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2016
LANDED..........
03-08-2016
coaster said:
Ok, here I am a 2 years later and in the process of doing my conjugal visa. Ive been reading in the forms that they like to have joint bank accounts, etc. I looked into this when I was in my partners country (Philippines), as well as Canada... and both countries seemed to say we couldnt. So how can they expect us to have joint accounts?? Any ideas on how I can do this??
The Philippines allows joint bank accounts. I know because my wife and I have one. We are lesbian partners and we were able to open one in Banco de Oro (BDO), one of the largest banks in the Philippines. If you can afford it, just get married. That's what my wife and I did. We've been in a relationship since January 2013. We got married in New Zealand legally in October 2015, submitted our sponsorship November 2015 and got my visa in July 2016. I'm already landing next week. :)

robefresh

Mar 1, 2017
Hello Coaster,

I am in the same boat. I am in a same sex relationship as well. My partner is in Thailand and I am a Canadian Citizen. I have also considered doing the Conjugal partnership application for Canadian Permanent resident instead of the Spousal Sponsorship. We plan to get married in South Africa where they allow same sex marriage and also is one of the countries that also does not require a Thai citizen a visa to enter.

If you want to exchange experiences, ideas feel free to contact me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Imnobody

Mar 25, 2017
hi. im very inspired with your post. my partner is in canada since 2014 hopefully she gets her PR soon. we do want to get married but there is no way here in our country. so im really interested in what you said that it can be done in NZ. i hope i can get more detail on this from you. thanks

Mar 25, 2017
you all could apply the conjugal partner category.

and you don't have to marry to convince your relationship.

what you need to do is to prove your relationship is REAL.

i am a successful PR applicant as conjugal partner.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask or message me.

i am happy to help