+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gap in work experience and Reference letter question.

mohafahas

Oct 22, 2018
Hello Forum members,

I have over 6 years and 4 months of experience in NOC B category in three companies.

The first company I joined was in June'2010 and I left it in Sep'2011.--15 months
The second company I joined was in Aug'2013 and left it in Jan'2016.--28 months
The Third company I joined was the very next day when I left the second company, in Jan'2016 and am still employed there for the past 34 months.

As you can probably sense by now that there is a gap in my work experience from first company to the second one.

This is because I needed to complete my graduation which was of 4 years. I studied my graduation from July'2009 to Nov'2013

As soon as I wrote my exams for my bachelors I went for an Interview at a very well known multinational and worked there, which is the second company.

My graduation was a regular course, however, my college had no objection towards someone who wished to work and study at the same time. Which I did, but due to my low scoring grades I felt that it was extremely important for me to get back to studies, so I left my first company and worked towards getting the right grades and got them.

My first question is, will I be asked for any documentation for the gap in my work experience from the first company to the second one?

------------------------------------

My second question is regarding my first company, which did give me a reference letter after multiple requests and my perseverance.

This reference letter is printed on the company letterhead.

It lists the follows.

>My details of employment such as my name, my city and my employee ID number.
>The duration of my work at the company. i.e., from June'2010 to Sep'2011
>Mentioned that I worked there 40 hours a week.
>My roles and responsibilities at the company
>Signature of a senior HR with their designation.

In my learning of an Ideal reference letter, besides the above mentioned points it should also include

>Annual Salary
>Benefits &
>Contact information, such as a phone number or an E-mail address.

When I went back to the HR of the first company they denied giving me the reference letter in a format I requested and mentioned that they do not provide reference letters and because I was been patient they have issued the current one.

I believe the contact information is extremely important, so I only wanted that. Mentioning of annual salary is optional and benefits disclosure is also optional, but please make sure to correct me if I am wrong with that statement.

One of my friend who is well versed with these reference letters says that the contact information is not that important as it is already mentioned clearly in my Offer letter and my relieving letter from the first employer.

Will I be asked for any further documentation to prove that I worked there? Do you think I will have any problems if that contact information is not mentioned in the reference letter?

siddEE

Oct 19, 2018
As far as I know, you need to provide "perfect" documentation proof for the only the employment for which you claim points in Express Entry. Another important thing is, in Express Entry the maximum number of years you can claim points for international(outside Canada) experience is 3 years. So, you get the same number of points if you 'claim experience' for 3 years or 8 years. Assuming you can provide employment verification letter(s) for only the last 3 years, you will have claimed the maximum number of available points. In that case, you don't even have to mention your first job in the employment history, you could just mention in it in your personal history, if you feel the need to do so. Hope this helps.

Reactions: snoopyta

mohafahas

Oct 22, 2018
As far as I know, you need to provide "perfect" documentation proof for the only the employment for which you claim points in Express Entry. Another important thing is, in Express Entry the maximum number of years you can claim points for international(outside Canada) experience is 3 years. So, you get the same number of points if you 'claim experience' for 3 years or 8 years. Assuming you can provide employment verification letter(s) for only the last 3 years, you will have claimed the maximum number of available points. In that case, you don't even have to mention your first job in the employment history, you could just mention in it in your personal history, if you feel the need to do so. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the reply.

When you say "Personal history" could you tell me where that option is?
Or did you mean "personal details"? which is an option under express entry profile creation.

siddEE

Oct 19, 2018
I don't exactly recall, but I'm guessing you won't see "personal history" until after you start uploading documents after getting the ITA. For express entry profile creation, all you need is your ECA and IELTS scores.