+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FYI: Travel w/o PR card ( ONLY for citizens from visa exempt countries )

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Hey guys,

just wanted to confirm with you, that it is possible to travel outside Canada/US without your PR card, but not recommended.
Please don't stop reading here, finish the whole post to get all the details you need to know.

Here's the scenario:
I booked my vacation thinking that by the time I leave I would have my PR application finalized and that I would already
have my PR card by the time I get on the plane to Europe - turns out I was wrong.
When I left the processing times for PR cards sky rocketed to over 90 days and I had to leave without and I wasn't away
long enough to apply for a travel document from outside Canada.
One thing that's important here is, that I am German citizen and therefore I don't require a visa to enter Canada. If you're
from a non-visa exempt country, this will not work for you.

So I left Canada without my PR card, had a great time in Europe and came back after three weeks with only
my passport and the CPR stapled to it.

When I got off the plane I had the choice between the two lines to the passport screening, visitors and citizens/PRs, so I
chose the latter, since I was a permanent resident ( without PR card ;) ).
After a 2 min wait in line, I walked up to the counter, presented my passport and the CPR, expecting a huge fight
and discussion... lessons about not travelling without the PR card and the whole nine yards.
But what happened was... nothing.

The lady checked my passport, checked the CPR, stamped my passport and welcomed me back to Canada.

What that means is, that if you
  • are a citizen from a visa exempt country,
  • travel with a valid passport, and
  • have your CPR with you,
then you are able to re-enter Canada from outside Canada/US without your PR card.

NOTE #1: Again, this might not work for citizens from non-visa exempt countries as some commercial carriers require you
to hold a valid visa for the destination country in order to board the vessel.

NOTE #2: Please don't book trips, and risk it based on my experience. I had my trip booked already and simply didn't get the card on time.
If you can, wait for the card to be on the safe side.

Cheers,

T.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Re: FYI: Travel w/o PR card

iam_toby said:
Again, this might not work for citizens from non-visa exempt countries as some commercial carriers require you
to hold a valid visa for the destination country in order to board the vessel.
Pretty sure this won't work for non-visa-exempt citizens, so you might wanna add that in the thread title :)

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Re: FYI: Travel w/o PR card

ZingyDNA said:
Pretty sure this won't work for non-visa-exempt citizens, so you might wanna add that in the thread title :)
That's exactly why I mentioned it twice in the post, but I put it in the title as well. :) Thanks.

T.

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
And after all of these some Newbie will create a new thread asking the same stuffs...
Is there a way to have a starred thread that's always on top of the boards, just like in other forums?

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
^ We need a sticky thread with the top 15-20 most frequently asked questions :)

Would save a lot of time...

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
MenicMonday said:
And after all of these some Newbie will create a new thread asking the same stuffs...
Is there a way to have a starred thread that's always on top of the boards, just like in other forums?
There is, but since Mods are rarely here, chances of this happening are pretty low :)

T.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
LPS said:
^ We need a sticky thread with the top 15-20 most frequently asked questions :)

Would save a lot of time...
That's exactly why I came up with this:
>> http://cectoolkit.weebly.com/faqs

;D ;D

T.

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
Noting a lot of contradictory information regarding the need for PRTDs (Permanent Resident Travel Document) for those with passports from visa-exempt countries and waiting for their first PR Card to arrive in the mail recently after landing, I called CIC this morning. To muddy the topic even further, here was their official response:

"ALL Permanent Residents of Canada, regardless of whether or not their passport is from a country that is visa-exempt or visa-free, is required to obtain a PRTD in order to re-enter Canada."

I next asked how this would be accomplished for a weekend trip to the US, departing on a Friday night and returning Sunday night. This particular travel plan is not only over a weekend when the consulates are closed at the destination, but the period of travel is nowhere near long enough to complete the application wait time for the PRTD once at the destination.

I was informed that this is not possible.

I then asked how one might apply in advance for the document given they must be applied for outside Canada (perhaps mailing my passport to the nearest consulate ahead of time). I was informed that this also is not possible.

I was advised to defer this kind of travel until the card arrives as the only solution to the dilemma.

This particular gap at the end of the PR process when such travel is needed is puzzling.

Based on the original post and others I have spoken with, many from visa-exempt and visa-free countries are able to successfully re-enter Canada in spite of the official policy.

Has anyone from such a country and waiting for their card to arrive ever been denied entry or even scrutinized at re-entry by air back into Canada?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
hfinkel said:
Noting a lot of contradictory information regarding the need for PRTDs (Permanent Resident Travel Document) for those with passports from visa-exempt countries and waiting for their first PR Card to arrive in the mail recently after landing, I called CIC this morning. To muddy the topic even further, here was their official response:

"ALL Permanent Residents of Canada, regardless of whether or not their passport is from a country that is visa-exempt or visa-free, is required to obtain a PRTD in order to re-enter Canada."

I next asked how this would be accomplished for a weekend trip to the US, departing on a Friday night and returning Sunday night. This particular travel plan is not only over a weekend when the consulates are closed at the destination, but the period of travel is nowhere near long enough to complete the application wait time for the PRTD once at the destination.

I was informed that this is not possible.

I then asked how one might apply in advance for the document given they must be applied for outside Canada (perhaps mailing my passport to the nearest consulate ahead of time). I was informed that this also is not possible.

I was advised to defer this kind of travel until the card arrives as the only solution to the dilemma.

This particular gap at the end of the PR process when such travel is needed is puzzling.

Based on the original post and others I have spoken with, many from visa-exempt and visa-free countries are able to successfully re-enter Canada in spite of the official policy.

Has anyone from such a country and waiting for their card to arrived ever been denied entry or even scrutinized at re-entry by air back into Canada?
Don't talk to CIC about this issue, talk to the CBSA, as they make decisions at the border and decide
whether you enter or not.

And as I said, for citizens from visa exempt countries the CPR in connection is sufficient to proof your status in Canada.

T.

EU_2010

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
01**
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
n/a
LANDED..........
landed Mar 2014
Hi Toby,

Thank you for sharing your experience - I am sure this can help others who are still waiting for the card and have mandatory travel. I've only done domestic travel since landing and got my PR card a while ago so I don't expect to run into problems when I go home in August.

Glad to hear it was completely painless to re-enter as it usually is.

Two things that I would be interested to know are the following:
1. When you boarded the plane in Germany, did the airline check your passport specifically for any additional documents? Or was it just - valid passport, must be a tourist, fine?
Below are the reasons why I delayed my landing by two months to avoid these type of situations.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/can-i-still-go-to-canada-but-not-landing-with-my-immigrant-visa-t230586.0.html;msg3356009#msg3356009

2. It sounds like you have the CPR attached to your passport. Did they remove your work permit? My CPR is still a separate sheet of paper (they did not attach it) and my work permit is still in the passport. They never removed it or put a "invalid" stamp on it.

It's all water under bridge now since I have my PR card now but am just curious.

And yes, I think it's important to mention like you did that it can work (if visa-exempt) but there's no guarantee and the airline may refuse boarding. So if you can avoid travel in the waiting period, that is the safest way. It is also safe not to rely on processing times published. They have caught up on the back up quite impressively over the last month but you never know. I waited 3 months whereas at the time of landing the published time was less than two.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Hi,

EU_2010 said:
Hi Toby,

Thank you for sharing your experience - I am sure this can help others who are still waiting for the card and have mandatory travel. I've only done domestic travel since landing and got my PR card a while ago so I don't expect to run into problems when I go home in August.

Glad to hear it was completely painless to re-enter as it usually is.

Two things that I would be interested to know are the following:
1. When you boarded the plane in Germany, did the airline check your passport specifically for any additional documents? Or was it just - valid passport, must be a tourist, fine?
Below are the reasons why I delayed my landing by two months to avoid these type of situations.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/can-i-still-go-to-canada-but-not-landing-with-my-immigrant-visa-t230586.0.html;msg3356009#msg3356009

No checks whatsoever. At the checking they, as usually, checked my passport and that's it, since you - as a German citizen -
do not require a visa to enter Canada.

2. It sounds like you have the CPR attached to your passport. Did they remove your work permit? My CPR is still a separate sheet of paper (they did not attach it) and my work permit is still in the passport. They never removed it or put a "invalid" stamp on it.

It's all water under bridge now since I have my PR card now but am just curious.

The moment you landed as a permanent resident your work permit became invalid. You can keep it for your personal records,
or frame it and hang it on a wall. I would recommend taking it out of your passport, since you don't need it anymore.
And if you've already received the PR card, you can also put the CPR away in a safe place, for your own records.

And yes, I think it's important to mention like you did that it can work (if visa-exempt) but there's no guarantee and the airline may refuse boarding. So if you can avoid travel in the waiting period, that is the safest way. It is also safe not to rely on processing times published. They have caught up on the back up quite impressively over the last month but you never know. I waited 3 months whereas at the time of landing the published time was less than two.

Hope this answered your questions,

T.

hondaFan13

Jul 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
condition - non exempt countries only.

I am a bit confused. I thought that when CIC asks for passport they give a 1 year visa that sates that you are a PR. However one can apply for PR card once the process is complete.

My pgwp is valid till Aug 2015. Supposing that my process is finished in the next 2 months, how will it pan out if I am vising India in Nov.(Citizen with INdian pp) ?
Would I still need additional visa or would I have issues coming back into Canada?

Thanks

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
^ The visa itself doesn't "state that you are a PR". You are a PR once you have entered Canada with the visa, and you have your COPR signed and your passport stamped.

The visa will be valid for one year after your medicals were done (right?) so this is your deadline for landing.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
LPS said:
^ The visa itself doesn't "state that you are a PR". You are a PR once you have entered Canada with the visa, and you have your COPR signed and your passport stamped.

The visa will be valid for one year after your medicals were done (right?) so this is your deadline for landing.
Correct, the one-entry visa stamped by CIC is valid for one year and the same applies to the CPR.

T.

EU_2010

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
01**
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
n/a
LANDED..........
landed Mar 2014
iam_toby said:
Hi,

Hope this answered your questions,

T.
Yes thanks.
I wonder why they always give me sh** at the check-in. Must have to do with the way I book my flights I guess (starting in Frankfurt).