+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FYI: EDUCATION

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just for information: I hope this will help a lot of us.
Education:

• “Educational credential” is defined in R73 as any diploma, degree or trade or apprenticeship
credential issued on the completion of a program of study or training at an educational or
training institution recognized by the authorities responsible for registering, accrediting,
supervising and regulating such institutions in the country of issue.

• “Full-time” is defined in R78(1) as requiring at least 15 hours of instruction per week during
the academic year, including any period of training in the workplace that forms part of the
course of study.

• “Full-time equivalent” means, in respect of part-time or accelerated studies, the period of time
that would have been required to complete those studies on a full-time basis.

Education
Officers should assess programs of study and award points based on the standards that exist in
the country of study. The Regulations do not provide for comparisons to Canadian educational
standards;

If the applicant has an educational credential referred to in a particular paragraph in R78(2) but
not the total number of years of study required by that paragraph, officers should award the
number of points set out in the paragraph that refers to the number of years of study completed
by the applicant [R78(4)].

Example: 1. If an applicant has a master's degree, but only 16 years of education, an officer would go
down to the category for which the applicant meets the total number of years and, using this example,
award 22 points;

Example: 2. If an applicant has a four-year bachelor's degree and 16 years of education, an officer
would award 20 points, as a single two, three, or four-year university credential at the bachelor's level,
combined with at least 14 years of full-time study, is worth 20 points;

Note: Medical doctor degrees are generally first-level university credentials, in the same way that a
Bachelor of Law or a Bachelor of Science in Pharmacology is a first level, albeit “professional”
degree and should be awarded 20 points. If it is a second-level degree and if, for example, it
belongs to a Faculty of Graduate Studies, 25 points may be awarded. If a bachelor's credential is
a prerequisite to the credential, but the credential itself is still considered a first-level degree, then
22 points would be appropriate. It is important to refer to how the local authority responsible for
educational institutions recognizes the credential: i.e., as a first-level or second-level or higher
university credential.

Pursuant to R77, officers should award points for the credential and years of study that the
applicant has completed at the time the application is made. If further study is completed and
documentation submitted between application and assessment, officers must award the points for
the highest educational credential obtained at the time of assessment.

A distance learning credential is eligible for points as long as it meets the definition of a credential
as outlined in R73. If the credential is not described in terms of number of years duration (i.e.,
three-year bachelor's degree), officers should apply the definition of full-time equivalent study and
knowledge that the visa office has acquired on local education institutions and credentials.

There is a high incidence of fraud in this area. Verification checks should be conducted with
issuing institutions to ensure that program integrity standards are respected.

Pursuant to R78, officers should assess the application and award the applicant up to a maximum
of 25 points for education as follows: download OP6 to see the table
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Disclaimer:
These are not my definitions. This is an extract from op6.pdf Page 13. I am neither an Immigration Expert nor a legal Advisor.
[/size][/size]

gigab

Jan 20, 2009
Calgary
Visa Office......
Guatemala
App. Filed.......
6/July/2009
Doc's Request.
2/Sept./2009
AOR Received.
11/January/2010
File Transfer...
Documents arrived: 17/Dec./2009
Med's Request
1/March/2010 received 26/March/2010
Med's Done....
17April/2010. Additional documents sent 28/April
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
5/May/2010
VISA ISSUED...
Dec. 10, 2010. Received January 11, 2011.
LANDED..........
March 10, 2011
Hello Booby B :
It is a very good post you started about Education points awarded. I would like to ask you the following. If my education is 11 years starting 1st grade to 11th grade, following 5 years of study in Dentistry school with 1 year of practice so I could graduate. After I graduated from the dental school I went to Mexico and study 1 and a half year to get a Speciality in Endoperiodontics. How many points do you think an officer would award me?

Thank you very much for your help

Gigab

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gigab,
You will definitely need to give some more information e.g Bachelor in Dentistry, or better said how is the specialization award rated in the country of study. Again, the total no of years required to achieve the said degree/specialization is also very significant.

zakhan

Mar 4, 2009
Dear David, My name is Zafar Khan. My brother-in-law Mr. Muhammad Ali Khan (File No. B043706202) applied for Canadian Permanent Immigration in the past few years. His final education was Bachelor of Commerce (2-yr bachelors degree) (total of 14 years education i.e. 2 years of study after High School) in Pakistan from the University of Karachi (www.uok.edu.pk).

He was refused by the immigration on R(78)1 coz he completed the degree as private candidate (due to some family problems) i.e. he did not attend any College full-time, however he attended a private tuition center to prepare for the papers & exams on daily basis i.e. 3-hrs daily and 5-days each week.

Under these circumstances what would you recommend, please reply soon.

Warm Regards,
Zafar Khan
zafarkhan_98@yahoo.com
Mobile no. 00923003992577

SAKB

Sep 13, 2009
I will appreciated if you help me to calculate my and my spouse education point,I hope information below will give you for calculating my and my spouse education points at Canadian immigration .

My Education History :

1. Higher School up to Grade 12 {full time education }

2. 3 Years full time {Bachelor in Computer Science,University level}

3. 2 Years full time {Master in computer Science after Bachelor in Computer Science,University Level}

4. Total of 17yrs full time education,

My Spouse education history :

1. Higher School upto Grade 12 full time education

2. 3 Years full time {Bachelor in Mass communication ,University level}

3. 1 Years full time {Master in Mass communication after Bachelor in Mass communication,University Level}

4. Total of 16yrs full time education,

I just want to know that how much point i will get for my and my spouse education ? if you need any further detail just let me know thanks in advance"

kochi

Star Member
Jun 6, 2011
SAKB said:
I will appreciated if you help me to calculate my and my spouse education point,I hope information below will give you for calculating my and my spouse education points at Canadian immigration .

My Education History :

1. Higher School up to Grade 12 {full time education }

2. 3 Years full time {Bachelor in Computer Science,University level}

3. 2 Years full time {Master in computer Science after Bachelor in Computer Science,University Level}

4. Total of 17yrs full time education,

My Spouse education history :

1. Higher School upto Grade 12 full time education

2. 3 Years full time {Bachelor in Mass communication ,University level}

3. 1 Years full time {Master in Mass communication after Bachelor in Mass communication,University Level}

4. Total of 16yrs full time education,

I just want to know that how much point i will get for my and my spouse education ? if you need any further detail just let me know thanks in advance"
You will get 25 points from education & Your spouse will get 4 points.