+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Future of Accounts/Finance Diploma (or) PG Diploma {tiger007)

devrathiya

Jul 23, 2013
Hi Tiger007,

I am a commerce graduate with 68 %, passed out in 2010. Since, than I have been working with an MNC as an analyst handling Accounts Payable, General Ledger, Accounts Receivable etc., I would like to go for either a Diploma or PG Diploma (Finance/Accounts) and need your expert opinion on below questions:

1. Does doing a Diploma / PG Diploma help me get a relevant job and will it be a fair investment?
2. I have read forums and came across mixed opinions regarding the availability of accounts/finance related jobs in Canadian market. Whats your though about it?
3. I would like to apply for a PR post the course completion, are accountants categorized under the skilled occupation list?
4. Any other suggestions you might want to offer about the course, college selection etc.,

I also request the other SENIORS in the forum to offer their opinions/thoughts. :)

reyhan649

Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Student Visa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25th, November 2013
Doc's Request.
Student Visa
Nomination.....
Student Visa
AOR Received.
Student Visa
IELTS Request
7.5 (R-8.5; L-8; S-7.5 and W-6.5)
File Transfer...
26, November 2013
Med's Request
Student Visa
Med's Done....
7th, October 2013
Interview........
Student Visa
Passport Req..
Student Visa
VISA ISSUED...
2nd, December 2013
LANDED..........
24th of December 2013
The questions you have asked were eating up my brain all this while!! Thank you so much. I will keep following this post now for an answer.

Tiger - Waiting for your response!!

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Dev and Rehyan,

Please read the thread with total attention as it will solve all your quries.

@Dev, I believe you worked with Genpact most likely. You fall in SPP category (68% in B.com) and your last qualification is in 2010 which means less than 4.5 years gap from last qualification, hence no issues.

For diploma/certificate/fast track programs, I would suggest to go for co-op program as it provdies you with an opportunity to work with Canadian employer and adds Candaian work experience to your CV which really helps in fetchign good jobs.

Now about accounting jobs leading to PR;

Financial auditors and accountants
Financial auditors examine and analyze the accounting and financial records of individuals and
establishments to ensure accuracy and compliance with established accounting standards and procedures.
Accountants plan, organize and administer accounting systems for individuals and establishments. Articling
students in accounting firms are included in this unit group. Financial auditors and accountants are employed
by auditing and accounting firms throughout the private and public sectors, or they may be self-employed.
Example titles
accountant
certified general accountant (CGA)
certified management accountant (CMA)
chartered accountant (CA)
chief accountant
financial auditor
income tax expert
industrial account

and payroll clerks too!, these all are in skilled category, noc 0 a, b.

NOC C category doesn't really help much in securing PNP (but in some province, it does, such as in Alberta, Quebec etc).

Hope it solves your queries.

Cheers!

devrathiya

Jul 23, 2013
Hi sabby2612,

Thank You for your reply, it did help me get an insight about what could be best for me and it also led to below questions :)

1. I believe, I would need to shell extra on buying some certificate when it comes to SPP, can I not apply under general category? What are the requirements for General & SPP category?

2. Are the Visa chances better in SPP than in General?

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
devrathiya said:
Hi sabby2612,

Thank You for your reply, it did help me get an insight about what could be best for me and it also led to below questions :)

1. I believe, I would need to shell extra on buying some certificate when it comes to SPP, can I not apply under general category? What are the requirements for General & SPP category?

2. Are the Visa chances better in SPP than in General?
1. SPP Certificate - SPP doesn't guarantee a visa, but as there is criteria one needs to meet to fall in SPP, hence chances this way get higher and processing is damn fast in SPP. Some people got visa even in 2 to 4 days time, but yes some got it in a month. So all depends on the complete file.

SPP doesn't mean you need to spend extra money in fact just to speed up the process, the changes in SPP and general are;

a. Need to purchase GIC of 10000 CAD (which is all yours once you land in Canada which you can withdraw 2k every 2 months, basically it's to cover your living cost for a year, this is your money only, you are not paying it to CIC, CHC, College or anybody else),

3. Need to pay at least one semester fee

4. Medical is conducted before you apply for the visa (this is to speed up the process).

Now, you don't need to show any financial documents such as bank statements, property papers etc in SPP likewise in general cases, people do.

Accounting jobs as specified earlier in my post, with the titles and job responsibilities are available but then it's not as easy as it is in India to grab jobs.

devrathiya

Jul 23, 2013
thanks again sabby2612.... :D

Anybody else who might want to offer their opinion / thoughts on below questions, feel free to respond:

1. Does doing a Diploma / PG Diploma help me get a relevant job and will it be a fair investment?
2. I have read forums and came across mixed opinions regarding the availability of accounts/finance related jobs in Canadian market. Whats your though about it?
3. I would like to apply for a PR post the course completion, are accountants categorized under the skilled occupation list?
4. Any other suggestions you might want to offer about the course, college selection etc.,