+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Further information is required" -> Help please?

serivas

Oct 26, 2017
Hi everyone,

My common-law partner is trying to sponsor me under the Family class, we submitted our application on August 2016, passed medical exam already.

Yesterday, I received a letter from CIC stating that:

In order to continue processing your application, further information is required. You must complete/submit the following to this office

> Client Information: You did not provide sufficient evidence that you are a common-law partner
(cohabitating for a period of at least one year at time of application). Acceptable documentation
includes: declaration of common-law relationship, evidence of joint bank, trust, credit union or charge
card accounts; jointly signed residential lease, mortgage or purchase agreement, insurance and/or
beneficiary forms. This documentation must provide evidence dated at least one year prior to
the date of your application. Other supporting documentation such as statutory declarations of
individuals with personal knowledge that your relationship is genuine and continuing may be
considered. Please do not send any electronic media items, such as CDs, DVDs, or VHStapes
This must be received at this office by: 2017/11/24

We don't have leases under our names for the requested period of time, as the person who was renting the place we lived in was my father. I did pay some of the bills, and my partner paid some other bills, and we showed proof of this (although in a different language, could this be the problem?). Also showed a bunch of pictures, a signed declaration from my partner's mother, a declaration of common-law relationship, and a joint credit card.

How come this isn't enough? Has anyone here gone through a similar predicament, where there's no lease/mortgage?

Also, do you think I should have ALL proof officially translated? This would be in the thousands!

Thanks!
Seb

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Hi everyone,

My common-law partner is trying to sponsor me under the Family class, we submitted our application on August 2016, passed medical exam already.

Yesterday, I received a letter from CIC stating that:

In order to continue processing your application, further information is required. You must complete/submit the following to this office

> Client Information: You did not provide sufficient evidence that you are a common-law partner
(cohabitating for a period of at least one year at time of application). Acceptable documentation
includes: declaration of common-law relationship, evidence of joint bank, trust, credit union or charge
card accounts; jointly signed residential lease, mortgage or purchase agreement, insurance and/or
beneficiary forms. This documentation must provide evidence dated at least one year prior to
the date of your application. Other supporting documentation such as statutory declarations of
individuals with personal knowledge that your relationship is genuine and continuing may be
considered. Please do not send any electronic media items, such as CDs, DVDs, or VHStapes
This must be received at this office by: 2017/11/24

We don't have leases under our names for the requested period of time, as the person who was renting the place we lived in was my father. I did pay some of the bills, and my partner paid some other bills, and we showed proof of this (although in a different language, could this be the problem?). Also showed a bunch of pictures, a signed declaration from my partner's mother, a declaration of common-law relationship, and a joint credit card.

How come this isn't enough? Has anyone here gone through a similar predicament, where there's no lease/mortgage?

Also, do you think I should have ALL proof officially translated? This would be in the thousands!

Thanks!
Seb
You say you lived with your father..did you get him to write a letter stating this? That would kind of be in place of the lease.

Do you have government issued ID showing you both at that address..drivers license, tax documents, insurance etc?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Your proofs are very weak, so it is no surprise that you were requested to send more. Common-law is considered a legal status and the onus is on you to prove it.

You should have sent a notarized letter from your father stating how long you guys lived together in his place.

You most definitely should have translated the utility bills (doing it yourselves is fine, no need for official translations); everything in the app should be in either English or French if you want it to be considered.

What about statements from the joint credit card covering at least one year? Payslips? IDs? Employment letters? Tax documents? Shipping receipts?

serivas

Oct 26, 2017
We have a joint credit card certificate/statements, shipping receipts, utility bills, can do the notarized letter. Would that suffice? At the time only she was working, so I don't have payslips for half of the period (the other half, we moved to Canada together under a working visa for me and we have better proof for that period)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We have a joint credit card certificate/statements, shipping receipts, utility bills, can do the notarized letter. Would that suffice? At the time only she was working, so I don't have payslips for half of the period (the other half, we moved to Canada together under a working visa for me and we have better proof for that period)
No one can say if it will suffice but it's certainly better than what you sent.