+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Funds transfer after soft landing

ExpressEntryStarr

Dec 9, 2016
Hi Everyone, My family and I did a soft landing as PRs in 2018. We are planning on moving to Canada permanently next year (2020). When we move, I plan to transfer our savings to Canada which we will use to buy our house here. My question is, would I be subject to tax on this savings? Some of the money has been saved from before our landing in 2018 and some after. Just for reference, the amount is substantial (greater than CAD 350k). I didn't declare this on our goods to follow list, which submitted when we did our soft landing, because I wasn't aware whether funds to follow also need to be declared on the list.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone, My family and I did a soft landing as PRs in 2018. We are planning on moving to Canada permanently next year (2020). When we move, I plan to transfer our savings to Canada which we will use to buy our house here. My question is, would I be subject to tax on this savings? Some of the money has been saved from before our landing in 2018 and some after. Just for reference, the amount is substantial (greater than CAD 350k). I didn't declare this on our goods to follow list, which submitted when we did our soft landing, because I wasn't aware whether funds to follow also need to be declared on the list.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.
No taxes. No declaring of assets needed at time of landing.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Agree with steaky.

You will need to declare any remaining overseas monney, investments and assets on form T1135 when you complete your first years tax return once you land for good in Canada (and therefore become luable for Canadian tax). You will then only be taxed on growth, interest or income, and NOT the capital itself

kaceyx

Jul 27, 2017
Dubai
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
Nomination.....
Nova Scotia
Hi guys,

I have the same situation, I landed last in August 2019 and I returned back after two weeks to my country.

I would like to know if there is a timeframe to transfer my money (Personal savings) to Canada before it becomes taxable. Or I can do it at any time before I return back to Canada as a settler?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I am in a similar situation, can you pls share your experience.. did you wire transfer or did you carry a bank draft during your permanent landing in 2020
There is no such thing as permanent landing.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I meant return to Canada as a permanent settler?
When you carry in person a bank draft of over $10,000, you need to go to a designated counter in the first port of entry of the Canadian airport to make a paper form declaration. Otherwise, your bank will report your wire transfer.

Steve75

Apr 11, 2019
When you carry in person a bank draft of over $10,000, you need to go to a designated counter in the first port of entry of the Canadian airport to make a paper form declaration. Otherwise, your bank will report your wire transfer.
Thanks, Bank would report to CRA correct? is it advisable to do the online transfer instead once I’ve landed permanently?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks, Bank would report to CRA correct? is it advisable to do the online transfer instead once I’ve landed permanently?
No, bank report to another government department (forgot the name). You can transfer anytime.

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
Agree with steaky.

You will need to declare any remaining overseas monney, investments and assets on form T1135 when you complete your first years tax return once you land for good in Canada (and therefore become luable for Canadian tax). You will then only be taxed on growth, interest or income, and NOT the capital itself
Be sure to note the valuation of your investment assets (e.g., stocks) on the day you officially move to Canada, as that may well determine your cost basis for Canadian taxes upon the time you sell such assets.