+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Funds for settlement in Indian Rupees

alexvgs

Feb 2, 2008
Hi,

I'm currently in the United States and have been admitted here legally for over a year. I wanted to apply for Canadian immigration from Buffalo.

I have the required settlement funds for Canadian immigration in Indian Rupees in a bank in India. However, the money is "repatriable", meaning, it may be converted into dollars anytime I ask for it. The bank can also attest to that. Will that suffice when I apply for immigration?

Will the Canadian consulate at Buffalo be satisfied if I provide a statement from my Indian bank stating that I have the required funds? Or do I have to convert all that currency into Canadian dollars?

I'll have to check with my bank whether its possible for me to maintain a deposit in India in Canadian dollars. Even if I convert into Canadian dollars I'm not sure where I can keep that money - in Canada???

Thanks
Alex

AP

Star Member
Jul 7, 2007
Well, you do not have to convert the money into canadian dollars and you do not need to transfer the money to canada now. You may have to ask your bank to give you a letter stating how much funds your account has and ask them to mention the equivalent in canadian dollars as on that day.

OR

As you said that you are in the US you may get the money transferred to your US account and get a statement after a month and send that statement along with you application.

Regards,

AP

Mar 15, 2008
I have a related question.

I showed the funds in India in Indian Rupees as well as US Dollars but not Canadian Dollars. Mistake/Miscommunication on my part.
I have already submitted the proof. Is this Ok?

mikelingen

Star Member
Aug 3, 2007
alexvgs, SubatomicBionicNanoMan,

Your financial status required by CIC, during processing of your application vide the "Net Worth Statement" is a letter from your Bank confirming the balance of money in your account in ANY currency. This amount is then converted in Canadian dollars by the prevailing exchange rates on paper to show your worth in Canadian dollars.
The above requirement is not to be confused with - PROOF OF FUNDS that you have to show on arriving in Canada for the first time, whereby you have to show these funds in cash (Canadia/US $) or a Bank Draft from your home country in these currencies.

Hope this helps.

Mike

heather

Feb 11, 2008
Hi

Major chunk of my funds are invested in shares. While i intend to submit a CA certificate for the value of the shares....just a little concerned if this will hold good as proof of funds since the value changes basis market fluctuations...would it be a better option to hold above funds in a deposit or will they just go by the valuation done by the CA ? Pls advise.

heather

Feb 11, 2008
Hi alexvgs

I am assuming you are a NRI and hold a NRE account with an Indian bank, coz you mentioned the funds are "repatriable". For your information,Indian banks do offer foreign currency fixed deposit accounts in CAD. However, you needn't convert the funds into CAD ..if the funds are lying in a NRE account...outward repatriation is possible by simply filling in certain forms (A2, FEMA declaration,etc). You need to mention your overseas bank account details (swift code etc) on the forms and the Indian bank will wire transfer the funds in the currency specified, so at the time of processing the outward remittance, the INR currency is converted to CAD(or USD/EURO/GBP) and credited into your overseas bank account.

alexvgs

Feb 2, 2008
Hi all,

Thanks very much for all the replies.

Just to clarify, does the letter (that I will submit with my application) from the bank showing "proof of funds" have to state the amount of funds held by me in my account in Canadian dollars (meaning does the bank have to show that in the letter they give me) or can it be in Indian rupees and the consulate staff in Buffalo will do the manual calculation (for convertion into Canadian currency per prevailing exchange rates)?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

midhunov

Apr 26, 2009
Hi all,
I would like to know whether I can show my Proof of Funds in Life Insurance Policies and Provident Funds. If Life Insurance Policies is allowed, should I take into account the premium paid or the total insurance amount?

Thanks in advance,
Midhun

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

midhunov said:
Hi all,
I would like to know whether I can show my Proof of Funds in Life Insurance Policies and Provident Funds. If Life Insurance Policies is allowed, should I take into account the premium paid or the total insurance amount?

Thanks in advance,
Midhun
Life insurance funds can't be used, unless you are dead!

PMM

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
The purpose of showing the proof of funds is to show the money that you have to look after yourself if you don't get a job for a while so you are not burden on the state/province/territory. Life insurance policy (as i know it) doesn't allow you to have cash in time of need (except death by when you don't need the money).

schutz

Nov 4, 2014
For clarification...I'm currently working here in Saudi Arabia and asked the bank for a Bank Certificate but they said that they can only give me a certificate stating my money is in riyals..will the CIC consider it?

thank you for your help in adavance... :)

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
!!!!!!IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION!!!!!!

I had raised a CSE last month to Delhi Visa Office (India) asking them if EPF can be used as proof of funds. To my surprise, this morning, received a mail from them telling that , YES, EPF can be used as Proof of Funds.

I have added the screenshot in my google drive. You can view it by clicking on the link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BygmBX-ugQw-bnU5aW1mc2psUVU/view?usp=docslist_api

Somebody might find this information useful. So, I'm posting it here.

Please note that I got this information from the Canadian High Commission in India. This response might hold good only for Indian applicants.

coolkaps75

Jun 3, 2014
Hello,

This is indeed a good news that EPF can be used as settlement fund. one more help - can anybody share the format of cover letter to summarize the net available settlement fund.

Thanks
KK