+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Funds available for my stay column

Ibz2000

Feb 1, 2021
I have a slight confusion regarding the finance aspect of the Canadian study permit application.

I will be applying through the non student direct stream. My question is, I have already paid my 1 year tuition fee and will have a minimum of $10,000 CAD to cover for a year's living expenses. What amount do I type in the 'funds available for my stay' column? Will it be the addition of my paid tuition + 1 year's tuition + living costs OR 1 year's tuition + living costs?
Any reply will be highly appreciated!!

CMog

Star Member
Nov 10, 2020
You paid a full year tuition in advance without an approved study permit?
That’s what you do,either you pay for a semester or a year if you can to show in your SP application that you paid tuition fee.How did you do it?

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
That’s what you do,either you pay for a semester or a year if you can to show in your SP application that you paid tuition fee.How did you do it?
After receiving a pre-approval letter from the college, I had to pay a fee of C$ 2,300 to get the full approval letter for the study permit application.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
You usually don't pay your tuition fees until you arrive in Canada. Unless it is a low quality college,whcih means it is likely to get refused a study permit.

CMog

Star Member
Nov 10, 2020
You usually don't pay your tuition fees until you arrive in Canada. Unless it is a low quality college,whcih means it is likely to get refused a study permit.
So GeorgeBrown college is a low quality college?

CMog

Star Member
Nov 10, 2020
@jweekend,@andrews17 please help us out.need to know more of this pre-approval letter,this is my first time hearing of it,maybe it can help.

Ibz2000

Feb 1, 2021
@jweekend,@andrews17 please help us out.need to know more of this pre-approval letter,this is my first time hearing of it,maybe it can help.
If I'm not mistaken, a pre-approval letter is the provisional admission letter. Once a deposit has been paid, the college will send an acceptance letter!

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
In my case, I applied at Fanshawe College in London. I paid the college application fee (C$ 100), and after a few days they said my college application was pre-approved and sent me a conditional approval letter with the instruction to pay C$ 2,300 (total tuition for a year was C$ 18k), and I had 30 days to do so. I paid with my credit card and then I got the unconditional approval letter. This is the letter needed for the study permit application. Not sure if it works like this everywhere.

I'm supposed to pay the rest when I'm about to start the semester, not sure if the complete semester or the complete year.

CMog

Star Member
Nov 10, 2020
In my case, I applied at Fanshawe College in London. I paid the college application fee (C$ 100), and after a few days they said my college application was pre-approved and sent me a conditional approval letter with the instruction to pay C$ 2,300 (total tuition for a year was C$ 18k), and I had 30 days to do so. I paid with my credit card and then I got the unconditional approval letter. This is the letter needed for the study permit application. Not sure if it works like this everywhere.

I'm supposed to pay the rest when I'm about to start the semester, not sure if the complete semester or the complete year.
So is the 2,300 part of the 18k?

CMog

Star Member
Nov 10, 2020
Yes, I must pay only C$ 15.7k after my study permit is approved. If the study permit is denied, I get a refund for the C$ 2.3k.
Now that you explained,i understand but i do not think it has anything to do with the quality of the institution but whether that institution offers pre-approval letter.first i thought you meant you are guaranteed to get SP if you have the letter but looks like you can still get denied SP even if you have it just that you will still have the remaining of your tuition fee with you unlike us who paid in advance.Thank you for explaining

Last edited:
Reactions: andrews17

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Paying your tuition fees is not a requirement for a study permit. You only need to show that you can support yourself and be able to pay for your tuition fees. Paying your tuition fees does not guarantee you a study permit nor it will increase your likelihood of getting your permit approved