+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Full time work after study but before applying PGWP

bgpatel

Star Member
May 7, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am expecting to get ITA in the next draw and I need to decide what should I do with my 2 months' work I did before applying PGWP.

So, I started full-time work the next day the exam and study finished and after 2 months, I applied for PGWP.
I am not sure what should I put/update in the Express Entry profile and in the LOR? Is it okay to put the month I applied for PGWP and in the reference letter, keep the same date I joined the company?

Timeline,
Study/exam finished: 31 March 2017
Full-time work started: 1st April 2017
PGWP applied: 4th June 2017
PGWP approved: 10th July 2017

I have a total of 2+ years of experience in Canada regardless of those 2 months counts or not.

I think this is a common situation but after researching a lot, I can't decide what should I do. Any experience or advice would be helpful.

Thanks

lightspeed97

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
You are only authorized to work full time once you are on implied status i.e after you send online application for PGWP

bgpatel

Star Member
May 7, 2019
You are only authorized to work full time once you are on implied status i.e after you send online application for PGWP
@lightspeed97

Thanks for the response.

Actually, at that time, I assumed that if I was allowed to work full-time between breaks as long as I am not studying and doesn't affect the study so I can work once the study finished.
I understood my fault now. But is there anything I can do to handle this situation?

Thanks,

lightspeed97

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
@lightspeed97

Thanks for the response.

Actually, at that time, I assumed that if I was allowed to work full-time between breaks as long as I am not studying and doesn't affect the study so I can work once the study finished.
I understood my fault now. But is there anything I can do to handle this situation?

Thanks,
Personally Id claim work experience from after you were on implied status.

I feel like trying to get the letter from company to say you were hired after you actually were is arguably misrepresentation.

Wait for others to chime in , someone might have a better idea

bgpatel

Star Member
May 7, 2019
Personally Id claim work experience from after you were on implied status.

I feel like trying to get the letter from company to say you were hired after you actually were is arguably misrepresentation.

Wait for others to chime in , someone might have a better idea
Yeah, I am actually inclined towards updating my profile with the date I submitted PGWP before I receive and accept the ITA and then in the reference letter, keep the actual date I joined the company. I don't want to lie too.

Anybody else has such experience? Is it the right course of action?

Thanks,

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Yeah, I am actually inclined towards updating my profile with the date I submitted PGWP before I receive and accept the ITA and then in the reference letter, keep the actual date I joined the company. I don't want to lie too.
That is the correct action, but you should also provide a letter of explanation about the 2 months of unauthorized work experience. Usually IRCC will forgive this particular error as long as you own up to it, promise it will never happen again, and beg for forgiveness : )

saurabh009

Star Member
Feb 24, 2013
IELTS Request
Yeah
according to the new page update you are not allowed to do any sort of work either it is full time or part-time after your final grades are posted which of course they post after 1 week.

bgpatel

Star Member
May 7, 2019
That is the correct action, but you should also provide a letter of explanation about the 2 months of unauthorized work experience. Usually IRCC will forgive this particular error as long as you own up to it, promise it will never happen again, and beg for forgiveness : )
Thanks, @jes_ON for your reply,

I updated the profile two days ago and received ITA this week later.
I will submit the LOR along with the application.

Thanks a lot for your help.

LaFontaine

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020

Anybody else has such experience? Is it the right course of action?

Thanks,
There seems to be a lot of people who unknowingly did this. I also continued working part-time for two weeks after my grades were posted and before applying for my PGWP.

On my EE profile, I only started counting my work experience from the day I submitted my PGWP application. I indicated this in the LOE I submitted along with my PR application. In my LOE, I gave clear timelines of my unauthorized work and apologized.

My employment documents still had the original dates I joined the company. I would strongly advise you to keep your original date. Misrepresentation is a lot more punitive than unintentional unauthorized work.

According to GCMS notes, looks like I passed the eligibility stage :) I'm still waiting for final approval though.

Good luck!!

bgpatel

Star Member
May 7, 2019
Hi, did you have any updates since you've submitted the LOR along with the application?
thank you.
HI. I think the application is progressing well. I got RPRF request few days ago . I called in for status, they said the eligibility is recommended pass. Got a ghost update today, I think it is passed

Reactions: baltzly

LaFontaine

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
Hey

Glad to see that you have cleared eligibility! Do you think lots of people have been making the mistake of unauthorised work during the transitional period? It seems to be common and it doesn't seem to cause issues to most applicants...
Yeah, it looks like a lot of people made this mistake. I think officers are mostly forgiving if it is a couple of weeks. I only found out it was unauthorized when preparing my PR application and I made sure I declared it then.
But, I had this work experience listed on my PGWP application 3 years ago as well and I didn't even write an explanation because at the time, I thought it was all good lol They approved my application with no problem.

Reactions: bgpatel and baltzly

LaFontaine

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
I think universities are now also doing their due diligence to make sure international students are up to date with the rules. it looks like most of us making this mistake graduated right around the time this new rule took effect so we were going by the former rule.