+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Full-Time weeks for Express entry

dperez

Mar 22, 2016
Hello.

I'm currently employed working 37.5 hours per week. I started work on November last year, and I was planning on applying for Express Entry. I know that I need one year experience with at least 30 hours per week to qualify for it.

My question is, how do I calculate weeks in which I didn't work 30 hours? (Unpaid vacation, unpad sick leaves). I have a few weeks in which I was sick for two or more days, leaving my total paid hours for those weeks at less than 30. Should I count these as part-time?

I also have a couple of unpaid vacation weeks. Should not count these at all?

Thanks

Reactions: astraldust

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
Hello.

I'm currently employed working 37.5 hours per week. I started work on November last year, and I was planning on applying for Express Entry. I know that I need one year experience with at least 30 hours per week to qualify for it.

My question is, how do I calculate weeks in which I didn't work 30 hours? (Unpaid vacation, unpad sick leaves). I have a few weeks in which I was sick for two or more days, leaving my total paid hours for those weeks at less than 30. Should I count these as part-time?

Thanks
It's all up to you and your employment letter. I don't think your employer will care to mention a few days or even weeks of unpaid leave. If you want to be really honest, then don't apply when it's exactly 1 year. Make up the unpaid hours then apply. Your letter won't need to mention that still. I never mentioned any leave (paid or unpaid) in any of my letters.

Reactions: Uvr

dperez

Mar 22, 2016
So is the only proof needed when applying the employment letter? Do I not need to provide payroll proof or anything of the sort?

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
So is the only proof needed when applying the employment letter? Do I not need to provide payroll proof or anything of the sort?
Job letter is the main requirement, but supporting documents such as payslips do help in my opinion. I provided a ton of these "extra" documents and I think it helped speed up my approval process. Here are some examples:
  • Manager's business card
  • Work permit or visa (I worked in Dubai)
  • Bank statements showing salary deposit by employer
  • Payslips

Reactions: Uvr

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
If the work experience is in Canada, IRCC wants to see your T4s and NOAs. So yes, if there is a significant difference in what you earned from what was expected (based on the info in the letter of employment), IRCC might want to know more...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello.

Can you please clarify if you are talking about in-Canada or foreign work experience?

Generally, you are entitled to a minimum of 2 weeks of vacation. In Canada, if you are a full-time hourly employee (as opposed to salaried), you will see 4% vacation pay added to each pay stub. This is the equivalent of 2 weeks of paid vacation, and you can count 2 "unpaid weeks" as paid.

If you took unpaid vacation in addition to paid vacation, then you have to exclude the unpaid vacation from your one year calculation (meaning, you would have to work that much longer to be eligible).

Sick leave is a little more difficult. Strictly speaking, yes, you should consider a week with fewer than 30 hours as part-time. It still counts, but you have to pro-rate it - add up part-time hours, divide by 30, that will give you the number of FTE weeks, add to your full-time weeks - when you have 52 total weeks, you have met the one year eligibility requirement. Unless you had a LOT of time off, that might mean working one or two extra weeks, so it´s not a big deal.

dperez

Mar 22, 2016
Can you please clarify if you are talking about in-Canada or foreign work experience?

Generally, you are entitled to a minimum of 2 weeks of vacation. In Canada, if you are a full-time hourly employee (as opposed to salaried), you will see 4% vacation pay added to each pay stub. This is the equivalent of 2 weeks of paid vacation, and you can count 2 "unpaid weeks" as paid.

If you took unpaid vacation in addition to paid vacation, then you have to exclude the unpaid vacation from your one year calculation (meaning, you would have to work that much longer to be eligible).

Sick leave is a little more difficult. Strictly speaking, yes, you should consider a week with fewer than 30 hours as part-time. It still counts, but you have to pro-rate it - add up part-time hours, divide by 30, that will give you the number of FTE weeks, add to your full-time weeks - when you have 52 total weeks, you have met the one year eligibility requirement. Unless you had a LOT of time off, that might mean working one or two extra weeks, so it´s not a big deal.
Thanks for the response. To clarify, this work experience is in Canada. I get paid hourly, and an extra 4% is paid for vacation.
I've only taken two vacation weeks, and I had a few weeks where I worked less than 3p hours due to sick leave (unpaid).

So with this information, I should count all weeks where I worked more than 30, the two weeks of vacation (since they get added to my payroll as the 4%). Then count all weeks where I worked less than 30 as part time (and do the calculation) until I get 52 weeks, and that's when I'll meet the requirment. Is that correct?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks for the response. To clarify, this work experience is in Canada. I get paid hourly, and an extra 4% is paid for vacation.
I've only taken two vacation weeks, and I had a few weeks where I worked less than 3p hours due to sick leave (unpaid).

So with this information, I should count all weeks where I worked more than 30, the two weeks of vacation (since they get added to my payroll as the 4%). Then count all weeks where I worked less than 30 as part time (and do the calculation) until I get 52 weeks, and that's when I'll meet the requirment. Is that correct?
That is correct. Likley you would only need to work an extra week, maybe two, before you qualify : ) To be safe, make sure that your employer states the vacation (4% vacation pay) in your letter of reference.