+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Full time student abroad

MarkZ

Sep 8, 2019
I have been a Permanent Resident for over five years. Recently, my PR card expired. I am now looking to apply for Citizenship for myself, my wife and two sons.
My problem is, that my older son, now 17 has been a full time student in the US, and only comes home for some weekends, and winter, summer, and spring break. He therefore does not meet the required amount of days in Canada to renew his PR or apply for citizenship with the rest of our family.
Would there be any exception to help him since he is a student, but his family is living in Canada full time?
Thank you,
MarkZ

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have been a Permanent Resident for over five years. Recently, my PR card expired. I am now looking to apply for Citizenship for myself, my wife and two sons.
My problem is, that my older son, now 17 has been a full time student in the US, and only comes home for some weekends, and winter, summer, and spring break. He therefore does not meet the required amount of days in Canada to renew his PR or apply for citizenship with the rest of our family.
Would there be any exception to help him since he is a student, but his family is living in Canada full time?
Thank you,
MarkZ
No - an exception will not be granted to the residency requirements for PR. It was a personal choice to have him study outside of Canada.

MarkZ

Sep 8, 2019
Oh no! So what can we do? He comes home for all vacations, and he will have no status. How will he get over the border to come home?

JPBless

May 14, 2018
Thank you,
MarkZ
Have a look at this...
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/minors.html

Since your son is under 18, you can include him in your family citizenship application. He does not have to meet residency obligation.

nanni_doc

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
warsawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 December 2014
Doc's Request.
13 May 2015
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
dont know
Med's Request
14 May 2015
Med's Done....
15 May 2015
Interview........
Third Line Update - 28 May 2015, DM/FLU - 25 June 2015
Passport Req..
7th July 2015; passports submitted: 7July 2015; Passports received back: 16 July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26 june 2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully in November
No - an exception will not be granted to the residency requirements for PR. It was a personal choice to have him study outside of Canada.
I don't know why you are giving wrong advise when clearly they are good to apply as along as the person is minor.

nanni_doc

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
warsawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 December 2014
Doc's Request.
13 May 2015
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
dont know
Med's Request
14 May 2015
Med's Done....
15 May 2015
Interview........
Third Line Update - 28 May 2015, DM/FLU - 25 June 2015
Passport Req..
7th July 2015; passports submitted: 7July 2015; Passports received back: 16 July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26 june 2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully in November
Oh no! So what can we do? He comes home for all vacations, and he will have no status. How will he get over the border to come home?
You are good so far but I would suggest getting legal help or atleast prepare for it. You son is 17 now and if you apply before he turns 18 you might have a safety umbrella