+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

full-time remote work on Student visa

ignacioDeLaB

Nov 3, 2021
Can an international student under Study permit that allows to work off-campus, is allowed to work remotely full-time (40 hrs/week) for a company outside Canada? Can we work as consultants/service provider (not payroll)? Based on my research this seems possible:
Thanks in advance!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Can an international student under Study permit that allows to work off-campus, is allowed to work remotely full-time (40 hrs/week) for a company outside Canada? Can we work as consultants/service provider (not payroll)? Based on my research this seems possible:
Thanks in advance!
Yes you can as long as your employer doesn’t have Canadian offices or clients.

Reactions: ignacioDeLaB

fatehparminder

Jul 17, 2021
India
Category........
STUDY
Yes you can as long as your employer doesn’t have Canadian offices or clients.
What if a company has clients and offices throughout the world. I take the view that It is about which location an employee is joined to. Let's suppose I work as a software engineer in an MNC. But I work for an Indian branch. Such cases should not be a problem.

fatehparminder

Jul 17, 2021
India
Category........
STUDY
Thanks in advance!
Thank you for this valuable information. I was trying to clearing my this same doubt by doing some google. What does this mean "1/2 Working"? I didn't get this could you please tell me?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for this valuable information. I was trying to clearing my this same doubt by doing some google. What does this mean "1/2 Working"? I didn't get this could you please tell me?
The "1/2" means it's one of two tweets on the same topic. It has nothing to do with working or the rules.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
What if a company has clients and offices throughout the world. I take the view that It is about which location an employee is joined to. Let's suppose I work as a software engineer in an MNC. But I work for an Indian branch. Such cases should not be a problem.
It would be a problem. That's why knowing the company "doesn’t have Canadian offices or clients. " is important.

Aug 1, 2023
Did you work?? I am in similar situation

theonlyone1

Aug 4, 2022
Egypt
Category........
FSW
Did you work?? I am in similar situation
I am currently in the same situation and yes we can work full time remotely.

It explicitly says on the "What is work?" page the following:

What kind of activities are not considered to be “work”?
  • An activity which does not really 'take away' from opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents to gain employment or experience in the workplace is not “work” for the purposes of the definition.
Examples of activities for which a person would not normally be remunerated or which would not compete directly with Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market and which would normally be part-time or incidental to the reason that the person is in Canada include, but are not limited to:

• long distance (by telephone or Internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;