+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Full-time job while being full-time student. Won`t it be suspicious for CIC?

lianleya

Feb 24, 2016
Hi, everyone!
I have a question regarding my work experience. I was in school from 2006 to 2011. I was studying full-time all my 5 years at school. Starting from 2008 up to graduation I had been working full-time for about 40 hours per week.
It was tough times but I somehow managed my crazy schedule. Do I need to explain how could I study and work full-time during the same period? Or it sounds fine and CIC won`t have any questions?
Thanks for your thoughts!

r1ley

Star Member
Oct 27, 2015
Working full time during studies is against the conditions of your off-campus work permit. You are only allowed to work full time during scheduled breaks.

However I don't think CIC asks you how many hours you worked during your studies when applying for your pgwp or pr.

You should always follow your temporary permit conditions in order to avoid trouble in the future.

If you plan on using this experience for your express entry skilled work experience under cec, it is impossible to do so. I would suggest only using experience gained after graduating.

All the best with your application.

iwasjeff

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Aug-2015
Doc's Request.
08-Sep-2015
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2015
IELTS Request
08-Sep-2015
Med's Done....
11-Sep-2015
Passport Req..
13-Jan-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-Jan-2016
LANDED..........
27-Jan-2016
lianleya said:
Hi, everyone!
I have a question regarding my work experience. I was in school from 2006 to 2011. I was studying full-time all my 5 years at school. Starting from 2008 up to graduation I had been working full-time for about 40 hours per week.
It was tough times but I somehow managed my crazy schedule. Do I need to explain how could I study and work full-time during the same period? Or it sounds fine and CIC won`t have any questions?
Wait.. what was your legal status?

From what I know, you can't work full time while you are enrolled in school. Something like max. of 20 hours per week with the work permit off campus and only time you can work full time is during the break.

shdhsjej

Star Member
Apr 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-10-2015
lianleya said:
Hi, everyone!
Its advisable try not to explain anything unless they ask you. I dont think so you jave to mention that too that you were working at that time. In your personel history if you will say that you were studying at that time then it will be fine.

lianleya

Feb 24, 2016
r1ley said:
Working full time during studies is against the conditions of your off-campus work permit.
Sorry, I should have clarified that this question is about my international work experience.
I was working and studying full time back in Russia. I was allowed to do so and had no restrictions.

shdhsjej

Star Member
Apr 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-10-2015
lianleya said:
Sorry, I should have clarified that this question is about my international work experience.
I was working and studying full time back in Russia. I was allowed to do so and had no restrictions.
Then its fine, Best Luck

lianleya

Feb 24, 2016
shdhsjej said:
Its advisable try not to explain anything unless they ask you. I dont think so you jave to mention that too that you were working at that time. In your personel history if you will say that you were studying at that time then it will be fine.
I already received my ITA and I used this work experience (from 2008 to 2011) in addition to my work experience after school (from 2011 to 2014) in my Express Entry application. So now I required to upload two Employment Records Letters. I mean that I already have to tell about the work experience during my shool.

nilnitesh

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
I did my DVM (veterinary medicine) outside of Canada which was 5 years program. However, after completing my 4 years course work, I did one year full time, paid internship. Can I use that experience for Express Entry - International skilled worker category?

Then I did masters which was for 1.5 years. During this program, I worked as research assistant for 1 year (full time, paid). Can I use this experience as full time work experience?

aneelkanth

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto
OP keep in mind if you have a history with CIC and you have previously applied for study/work permits and you did not declare this experience in your personal history for those applications; adding it now will definitely raise questions.

canadianrrk

Mar 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
19-april-2016
Passport Req..
31-Jan-2017
aneelkanth said:
OP keep in mind if you have a history with CIC and you have previously applied for study/work permits and you did not declare this experience in your personal history for those applications; adding it now will definitely raise questions.
hi,

I have masters from 2013-14 and work experience from 2013-16(1 year overlap)in my home country(no restrictions).....in 2014 i applied student visa for canada and was rejected, at that time i had 1 year exp but dint show, however i showed my 1 year mark sheet of my masters......now in EE i dint show that masters from 2013-14 but showed exp from 2013-16 with ref letters, will this be fine.

I got ITA, in GCMS i got after 42 days after AOR it says A11.2 met, iam stressed.

cheers,
Rrk.