+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Full time job outside canada with online study allowed?

Amit_T

Dec 1, 2020
Hi everyone,

I've a query regarding international students studying online from there resident country (outside canada). Can they continue full-time job there or it violates any conditions as if you are Canada you can't do full time job with study even with co-op permit? Any ideas?
Just want to make sure to avoid any complications at later stage when applying for PGWP or PR.

Reactions: mtalwar18

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

I've a query regarding international students studying online from there resident country (outside canada). Can they continue full-time job there or it violates any conditions as if you are Canada you can't do full time job with study even with co-op permit? Any ideas?
Just want to make sure to avoid any complications at later stage when applying for PGWP or PR.
No issues continuing to work if you are outside of Canada. Go ahead.

Amit_T

Dec 1, 2020
No issues continuing to work if you are outside of Canada. Go ahead.
Thank you Scylla for replying. Actually, I dropped email to IRCC too for confirmation just to avoid any complications at time of getting PGWP, however, they officially taking 28 days to respond. Do you know if IRCC has published it anywhere on their website for online students? This is a situation that came due to online study in covid time so I couldn't find any relevant information on IRCC website myself. Any Help would be much appreciated

Reactions: mtalwar18

arhue

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Yes, from my understanding as:

1. The 20 hr/week limit applies to study permit holders and you don't have one(yet).
2. Any work done outside Canada doesn't constitute as "work" in this context.

You will also have to file taxes in both your home country(as you made the income there)+file in Canada as you'll be a tax resident there for the year(and claim refund as per DTAA). Check this answer out: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/international-student-working-full-time-from-abroad.714060/post-9066361

Note: Whatever I say here may not be 100% accurate. This is just my understanding of law.

Reactions: Amit_T

Amit_T

Dec 1, 2020
Thanks for your reply Arhue and sharing the links.

To make it more clear, This is for my spouse and she has collected her student permit by traveling to Canada. But would come back to continue job in resident country as classes are online.

Based on tweet from IRCC in the link you shared, if Company is not in Canada then 20 hours limitation doesn't apply, though they have mentioned it shouldn't interfere with your study and there are several conditions which must be followed. Do you know what other conditions they meant? Much appreciate your help on this.

sroseok

Feb 7, 2019
Thanks for your reply Arhue and sharing the links.

To make it more clear, This is for my spouse and she has collected her student permit by traveling to Canada. But would come back to continue job in resident country as classes are online.

Based on tweet from IRCC in the link you shared, if Company is not in Canada then 20 hours limitation doesn't apply, though they have mentioned it shouldn't interfere with your study and there are several conditions which must be followed. Do you know what other conditions they meant? Much appreciate your help on this.
Did she collect her son number

mtalwar18

Star Member
Jul 10, 2017
Toronto
Well, I’m wondering to get some response too. I’m an international student currently studying full time and working from home 20hrs per week for a Canadian company. If I travel overseas since all the classes are online as clearly stated by the college. Will I be allowed to work remotely from overseas for the Canadian company (20hrs per week) considering my company allows work from home.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: Amit_T

rdabas611

Mar 4, 2021
Thank you Scylla for replying. Actually, I dropped email to IRCC too for confirmation just to avoid any complications at time of getting PGWP, however, they officially taking 28 days to respond. Do you know if IRCC has published it anywhere on their website for online students? This is a situation that came due to online study in covid time so I couldn't find any relevant information on IRCC website myself. Any Help would be much appreciated
Hi Amit,

Hope you are doing good. I am going through the same confusion. Did you hear back from IRCC on this. Can an International student who is taking online classes from India work full time in home country. Please copy paste the response received from IRCC if possible. It would be a great help if you can guide me on this.

Thanks,
Ritu