+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Full-time job and starting small business on PGWP

computerscience23

Jul 4, 2020
Hello guys! I recently graduated and applied for PGWP. I am currently on implied status. I started a full-time job and looking forward to starting a small side business soon. I will register the business on CRA to get the business number. I was wondering if I can do so legally? Would that have any implications on PR application in the future?

Thanks in advance!

fritchou

Jan 21, 2019
Tunisia
Unfortunately you are not permitted to own 100% of any business registered in Canada. Only citizens and PRs are permitted to do so. The only other alternative is to wait until you have PR status.

computerscience23

Jul 4, 2020
Unfortunately you are not permitted to own 100% of any business registered in Canada. Only citizens and PRs are permitted to do so. The only other alternative is to wait until you have PR status.
Actually this business will be in partnership. And my partner is a Canadian citizen. Would that be fine? Also can you please share the source of the information if possible.

fritchou

Jan 21, 2019
Tunisia
Actually this business will be in partnership. And my partner is a Canadian citizen. Would that be fine? Also can you please share the source of the information if possible.
just google that and u will find info. u can't start or won business until you are citizen or pr holder. that is the short answer. ask canadian laywers about co-founding. not sure about that.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
For tax residency purpose, you can split ownership and that will be okey. If you meet residency requirement as per the CRA residency Act, then you can be majority shareholder but not by 100%, let say 51%. Once you become landed immigrant and want to restructure, you can do so by following the guidelines and plus Annual return if it is Corporations...

computerscience23

Jul 4, 2020
just google that and u will find info. u can't start or won business until you are citizen or pr holder. that is the short answer. ask canadian laywers about co-founding. not sure about that.
Not sure what you're saying is true. According to official CIC website:

With a post-graduation work permit, as with all open work permits, graduates can
  • work full time
  • work part time
  • be self-employed
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Not sure what you're saying is true. According to official CIC website:

With a post-graduation work permit, as with all open work permits, graduates can
  • work full time
  • work part time
  • be self-employed
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html
You can be self employed as it doesn’t mean you have to register a business. It doesn’t count towards CEC.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Last edited:
Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Well, talking about in's and out's. Think the full-time or small-time business/job is irrelevant compared to what is at stake.
Absolutely agree. OP needs an immigration lawyer who understands this because if done incorrectly then PR may not be possible. Don’t understand why OP needs to set up a business now and can’t wait until he/she has PR.

Reactions: Ironclad

fritchou

Jan 21, 2019
Tunisia
Absolutely agree. OP needs an immigration lawyer who understands this because if done incorrectly then PR may not be possible. Don’t understand why OP needs to set up a business now and can’t wait until he/she has PR.
indeed. i would not risk it tbh. one violation of rules and bye bye to PR dream.

computerscience23

Jul 4, 2020
After consulting the immigration department of my DLI, it seems like it is totally legal to work full-time for an employer and be self-employed (registered business) simultaneously since PGWP is an open work permit. They asked me to watch out for 2 main things:

1. Report income from side business every year.
2. Self-employment experience won't count towards CEC (but this is fine since I'll be using my full-time experience anyways).

Thank you everyone for the help!

Reactions: JamStory

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
After consulting the immigration department of my DLI, it seems like it is totally legal to work full-time for an employer and be self-employed (registered business) simultaneously since PGWP is an open work permit. They asked me to watch out for 2 main things:

1. Report income from side business every year.
2. Self-employment experience won't count towards CEC (but this is fine since I'll be using my full-time experience anyways).

Thank you everyone for the help!
Thats from open work permit point of view, but when registering business as corporation you need not to have majority shares if you are not PR/Citizen but you can have minority if you are temporary status..
Speak with your accountant or any consulting firm they know way round