+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Full Name difference

rahul00

Star Member
Jul 26, 2009
My friend is from Maharashtra - India. In Maharashtra in full name father name is added. So passport name like James Ross Walia, where Ross is the father name. But in PR card and landing paper his name is James Walia. Now he is applying for citizenship.

My question is will he face any problem for citizenship when he submitted his papers for personal Identification paper.

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
@rahul00 I was also in the same dilemma for my spouse, we just need to go with the name shown exactly as on your most recent immigration document.

aditvasu

Star Member
May 9, 2019
My friend is from Maharashtra - India. In Maharashtra in full name father name is added. So passport name like James Ross Walia, where Ross is the father name. But in PR card and landing paper his name is James Walia. Now he is applying for citizenship.

My question is will he face any problem for citizenship when he submitted his papers for personal Identification paper.
Hi,

Mine is also the same case. Last year I got my new Indian passport from Toronto and I applied in May 2019 for Citizenship and I am having my Citizenship test on 19/03/2020.

Yesterday I sent a new PR card application for name correction in PR Card & CIC records, for urgent processing. I am not sure whether they will correct it.

You cannot correct this, till new passport from India is taken with split given name and father/family name.

If he is ok with the current name in all Canadian records, then just leave it. If you want to correct it, you have to make a new Indian passport (CAD 160)

I am assuming that they will correct it. I will update you once mine is done (or) any feedback from CIC.

Best regards

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
Name change process on a Indian passport is a lengthy process and plus you have to give extra document to CIC while filing Citizenship application.

Its better to go with Canadian citizenship with current name as per the last canadian immigration document and once you have the Canadian Passport then apply for a name change.

aditvasu

Star Member
May 9, 2019
No buddy. It is simple. Just add an explanation letter about the mistake, to your Indian passport application. That is it. They will change the correction and send new passport within 2-3 weeks.