+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

fulfilling PR physical presence requirement

TMELL

Mar 28, 2020
As many of you know, new PRs are required to meet IRCC's physical presence requirements, with only a few exceptions that allow accumulation of residency days when actually outside of Canada. I am a new PR and my move to Canada will take up to a year to accomplish in full, and in the meantime I will be traveling back and forth to Ontario, while spending considerable time in my U.S. residence before transitioning permanently to Canada later in 2021. This website - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1466&top=10 - says that my time outside of Canada may count toward my permanent resident status if I travel with my spouse who is a Canadian citizen. During this transition period, my Canadian wife and I will not only be traveling within the U.S., but also continuing to reside here until later next year. Is it safe to assume that any time here in the U.S. with my wife fits this "traveling with my spouse" exception?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As many of you know, new PRs are required to meet IRCC's physical presence requirements, with only a few exceptions that allow accumulation of residency days when actually outside of Canada. I am a new PR and my move to Canada will take up to a year to accomplish in full, and in the meantime I will be traveling back and forth to Ontario, while spending considerable time in my U.S. residence before transitioning permanently to Canada later in 2021. This website - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1466&top=10 - says that my time outside of Canada may count toward my permanent resident status if I travel with my spouse who is a Canadian citizen. During this transition period, my Canadian wife and I will not only be traveling within the U.S., but also continuing to reside here until later next year. Is it safe to assume that any time here in the U.S. with my wife fits this "traveling with my spouse" exception?
Recommend that you join discussions in the PR Obligation section of the forum. I believe the answer is not 100% clear since IRCC sometimes applies a "who is accompanying whom" rule.